When someone raises your big blind...

pokercuttlefish

pokercuttlefish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
should you call a raise of your big blind if average stack near bubble with 58 offsuit.? i have heard of protecting your bb but do you waite? or reraise? or call to see? should you raise your own BB with everyone limping in when you have KK QQ AK?:confused:

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's okay to fold weak hands. It depends on your stack size vs villain's, and the player challenging your blind. But a weak hand like that is usually not worthwhile risking any chips for.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very doubtful to defend 58 on bubble. I would have defended this arm only against SB, and with a good stack. Or put the raise. Well, too.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Defending 58 off suit on the bubble seems questionable unless there are certain dynamics at play.

For example if you are sitting at a comfortable stack size on the bubble and your opponent is min raising their button when there is 10-20% antes out there... you can most likely defend if you feel that you are the better player or they are super passive post flop.

Only problem is you are playing out of position and depending on how many chips they have you could be putting your self in a tough spot. If they min raise with 10 big blinds and there is antes already out there, you are potentially looking at a shove on almost any flop texture if they are aggressive enough. 5 8 off suit doesn't hit too many flops unfortunately :(

S

Sarameda6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate losing my bigblind when that happens but it's either that or still risk losing more. It's still 58 offsuit that you're calling there whether you are in the blind or not, so I would fold personally. I do hate it though lol

Last edited:
PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
First question - At that time of the tournament better to fold hand is not really good and worst off you can hit a piece and can cost you e.g. flop is 8 high opponent has over pair.

Second question - Anything 10's above I am raising big to limpers. When no raisers there is no real good hands out there and plenty in pot. Raise and raise big becuase if you raise small like 3bb or less everyone ends up calling you. Most importantly even if you have AA the percentage of times you win the hand decreases with more players that go to the flop.

should you call a raise of your big blind if average stack near bubble with 58 offsuit.? i have heard of protecting your bb but do you waite? or reraise? or call to see? should you raise your own BB with everyone limping in when you have KK QQ AK?:confused:

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Fish

Hard to call with 5/ off esp. when sitting on the bubble. Seen you play a lot & doubt you would protect your BB with that hand.

As for 2nd case for sure raise with those cards in the BB or not.

BTW Welcome to cardschat !!!

ACESOVEREZZZ

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends. But I wouldn´t defend every the BB every time I have that kind of holecards

I

iceiceice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most spots in poker, it depends. If the raiser is aggressive and knows you play tight in the blinds, then they would raise any two so sometimes you'll have to defend. For the most part, I recommend just playing tight in the blinds, as it is hard to realize your equity postflop.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I might 3 bet 58o if the raiser is aggressive and trying to take advantage of the bubble but mostly I would fold 58o in this spot.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No brainer for me. Throw that trash away. The 8 5 suited doesn't have very much hand equity plus being on the bubble. I say just wait the bubble out, worse case scenario and wait until the games becomes normal again. Even if your opponent has a small stack I just really don't see the point in giving away any more of my chips than you possibly have to. Especially if you still have other opponents who are in the hand because if you don't watch it you may get squeezed out of those extra chips you invested because somebody decides to do a re-raise. Save your chips.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

It depends if you have been winning in big blind or losing. When you been losing in big blind you seem to always lose. When you been winning in big blind you seem to win. The trick is the first big blind. You need to see the cards to see if you win and you are unsure if your going to win. Hopefully someone calls for you and you just eat that hand. Play for next big blind.