When is a MTT "on the bubble"

B

blazer1027

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At what point is a MTT considered on the bubble? Is it x % away from the money or x spots too the money? Does is change from tournament to tournament based on structure?

SwaggyJ

SwaggyJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At what point is a MTT considered on the bubble? Is it x % away from the money or x spots too the money? Does is change from tournament to tournament based on structure?

Technically if a MTT pays 27 (whatever ITM pays), then the whole duration of hands played with 28 left is considered the bubble.

Also people tend to stretch the term bubble when tournaments are "nearing the bubble".

Hope this helps

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when it`s getting close to bubble, it's up to every player do decide when he starts to play bubble strategy

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Technically if a MTT pays 27 (whatever ITM pays), then the whole duration of hands played with 28 left is considered the bubble.

Exactly. Wikipedia simply defines it as "The last finishing position in a poker tournament before entering the payout structure". Which also leans itself to the term "bubble boy" for that last player, who fail to cash. However if we are talking about strategy, then you typically want to start adjusting your strategy at least somewhat, when only 10-20% of the field still need to bust, before the rest are paid. So if for instance you are a middling stack, and 100 places pay, then you probably want to start passing on some marginal spots and perhaps even stalling the action, when 110-120 are left.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The real answer is however you are defining it in your own mind and also how you believe your opponents are interpreting the "bubble". I am not saying anything about what is the correct or incorrect approach towards bubbles but what I am saying is you may be a player that does not worry about min cashing right or wrong. You could be a player that always plays for the win right or wrong so to your play style there is no bubble.

This also carries over to your opponents. They may be players who play to win, they may be knitting sweaters when the min cash is still miles away. The point I am trying to make is that you need to observe your opponents and they will tell you when the bubble is. They, at least some, will start to really tighten up as the bubble approaches. Some do it 3 away from the bubble, some do it 25 away from the bubble. It is our job as players to try to pick up on this as to when each players personal bubble is and then attach when we can. Its not easy but if you play with a player enough you will see some tendencies. Note these and use them in the future. I believe there is no clear cut answer to your question since the bubble means something different for every one of your opponents.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is the actual bubble person, and then there is the bubble period. Most players are aware of the bubble situation and where they stand with around 10-50 players left to go depending on the tournament size.

Most poker clients go hand for hand when one spot away from the money, but I actually liked how Full Tilt went hand for hand three away from the money to mitigate stalling.

S

sergey3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone has their own bubble. For example, I do not take risks when there are 10 players left for money. And even being in extreme positions, I sometimes manage to get into the money. Until that moment, I always hope get to jump in deeper.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One guy left is not "the bubble". This is just the "theory". I mean this is a simple word, means nothing for a good player. Means "The ICM is heaviest". But two players left the ICM is not "light". A little bit. Even at SNG STT. Let's say 100 places paid, then what is the difference between 100 and 110 place!? None...110 is a "bubble boy" as well...

But what about 200 place!? In the same tournament...Imagine STT , 3 places paid with 6 playes left. There is an ICM, not "light" at all...Also 6 max STT with 4 players left. You can see that already. With some soft. How mush equity is needed for deep / middle / short stack. And vs deep / middle / short stack.

However, this is also a "theory". If you are good player or if you play against really weak field, then you must play looser in the MTTs. Even at the bubble. If you have a big stack, let's say before the FT, then every spot will be so profitable. Big stack, more money. Imagine the STT. Ok, you will made 4h stack. Let say 1000 chips stack at the beginnig, you have now 4000 chips. This is "nothing". You can win only 4x buy ins for the first place. But you already have 4x stack. And now you will play for 4x buy ins. You can loose as well. But you can win more.

Last edited:
Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
One elimination away from the money.
One guy left is not "the bubble". This is just the "theory". I mean this is a simple word, means nothing for a good player. Means "The ICM is heaviest". But two players left the ICM is not "light". A little bit. Even at SNG STT. Let's say 100 places paid, then what is the difference between 100 and 110 place!? None...110 is a "bubble boy" as well...
If 100 places are paid, then there is a difference between 100th and 110th... :)

Less difference between 101st and 110th.. :wink:

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes , mistake, sorry.
My English is bad, I must write two hours for one post, if I want no mistakes. I will not ofc, I will not write at all...

And something wrong with this site, I can't edit my post and then everything is lost. The short story. I mean between 101 and 110. In practice no difference at all, only in theory. Because if you shove at 101 let's say with QTs , then at 110 no weaker hands. Than 101. Q9s will be "much weaker". Not good enough. So little difference. In practice "none"...In theory sometime will be a difference, but so rare. And you can't know that. You are not a bot...

Last edited:
Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes , mistake, sorry.
My English is bad, I must write two hours for one post, if I want no mistakes. I will not ofc, I will not write at all...
We all make mistakes, don't worry! :)

You're doing great with your translations, keep it up! :icon_thum

It will get easier and quicker in time if you keep going. :biggrin:

(We knew what you meant we're just playful :wink:)

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The real answer is however you are defining it in your own mind and also how you believe your opponents are interpreting the "bubble". I am not saying anything about what is the correct or incorrect approach towards bubbles but what I am saying is you may be a player that does not worry about min cashing right or wrong. You could be a player that always plays for the win right or wrong so to your play style there is no bubble.

This also carries over to your opponents. They may be players who play to win, they may be knitting sweaters when the min cash is still miles away. The point I am trying to make is that you need to observe your opponents and they will tell you when the bubble is. They, at least some, will start to really tighten up as the bubble approaches. Some do it 3 away from the bubble, some do it 25 away from the bubble. It is our job as players to try to pick up on this as to when each players personal bubble is and then attach when we can. Its not easy but if you play with a player enough you will see some tendencies. Note these and use them in the future. I believe there is no clear cut answer to your question since the bubble means something different for every one of your opponents.
I completely agree with you. Everything is in your head. I generally try not to watch when the bubble starts. Otherwise, it's better that I get it just hitting the presses) It's better to concentrate on the fight to the end, no matter what stage and the situation in the tournament. There was a case when I played with 1 BB and then won the tournament:star: