What you always do to go deep often in tour

F

Fair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Folding waiting good cards, ok fine but unfortunately you have bad cards over and over, what should you do?

2. Wondering in the beginning of tour, as the BB is small, we should call 1 BB for flop, even with bad cards, sometimes flop is perfect for you

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dedication and discipline :)

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to keep it tight. I'm not into limping in, even when the blinds are small, as I then feel compelled to chase any draws that I might pick up. Of course you could find yourself bleeding chips by constantly chasing thin draws. When you do get there, you're often just replenishing the just chips you've bled off.

I prefer to concentrate on stronger starting hands, with a higher chance of winning, and trying to get value out those hands win I feel that I'm ahead. I try not to get too carried away with any single hand, as this can easily backfire. I like to think of myself playing fewer hands, but winning more of the hands that I play. I don't mind steadily building my stack up over time, rather than trying to double up the second I think that I might have the best hand. Again, this could very easily backfire if an opponent decides to set a trap for you.

To me the key is to stay in the game. I started playing back when the majority of tournaments were freezeouts. In fact, they didn't even call them freezeouts. They were just tourneys. And when your chips were gone, you were out. But as long as you still had chips you had a chance to win. I've been in tournaments where I was short stacked approaching the money bubble and gone on to come back and win. By staying alive, I gave myself the chance to be there to take advantage when the big hands came.

Last edited:
Gorbonz4988

Gorbonz4988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I can say I play similar to the tighter play but if I'm at a table for hr so bf I get moved etc the people will pick up then that gives me a lil advantage to., But sometimes playing so tight u can't do all the time I say 75% of time I try to atleast

F

Fair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to keep it tight. I'm not into limping in, even when the blinds are small, as I then feel compelled to chase any draws that I might pick up. Of course you could find yourself bleeding chips by constantly chasing thin draws. When you do get there, you're often just replenishing the just chips you've bled off.

I prefer to concentrate on stronger starting hands, with a higher chance of winning, and trying to get value out those hands win I feel that I'm ahead. I try not to get too carried away with any single hand, as this can easily backfire. I like to think of myself playing fewer hands, but winning more of the hands that I play. I don't mind steadily building my stack up over time, rather than trying to double up the second I think that I might have the best hand. Again, this could very easily backfire if an opponent decides to set a trap for you.

To me the key is to stay in the game. I started playing back when the majority of tournaments were freezeouts. In fact, they didn't even call them freezeouts. They were just tourneys. And when your chips were gone, you were out. But as long as you still had chips you had a chance to win. I've been in tournaments where I was short stacked approaching the money bubble and gone on to come back and win. By staying alive, I gave myself the chance to be there to take advantage when the big hands came.

“I've been in tournaments where I was short stacked approaching the money bubble and gone on to come back and win”

This is problem, when you play so tight early tournament, you alive but others remain with big stack, lucky and rarely you can comeback. In difficult case, with short stack, how you can comeback

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Waiting for a good hand is not an option,in such moments you have to be a little aggressive.You need to steal the blinds as often as possible to be on the fly.Poker without aggression is not poker

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Folding waiting good cards, ok fine but unfortunately you have bad cards over and over, what should you do?

Know the correct preflop ranges for each position and situation. If it folds around to you on BTN or in SB, you dont need nearly as strong a hand as, if you are UTG, or someone else have already entered the pot. You can also sometimes profitably defend the big blind with hands, that are much less than premium, especially against a min-raise.

2. Wondering in the beginning of tour, as the BB is small, we should call 1 BB for flop, even with bad cards, sometimes flop is perfect for you

No absolutely not. It can be ok to limp from small blind seat, if there is a big ante to fight for, but from any other seat we should pretty much only limp behind, when someone else have already limped, and only with some very specific holdings, which are mainly small pairs.

F

Fair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Waiting for a good hand is not an option,in such moments you have to be a little aggressive.You need to steal the blinds as often as possible to be on the fly.Poker without aggression is not poker

I know we must sometimes be aggressive but when? Its difficult to learn

F

Fair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Know the correct preflop ranges for each position and situation. If it folds around to you on BTN or in SB, you dont need nearly as strong a hand as, if you are UTG, or someone else have already entered the pot. You can also sometimes profitably defend the big blind with hands, that are much less than premium, especially against a min-raise.

No absolutely not. It can be ok to limp from small blind seat, if there is a big ante to fight for, but from any other seat we should pretty much only limp behind, when someone else have already limped, and only with some very specific holdings, which are mainly small pairs.

Thanks for detail advices, how you defend BB effectively? Raise or all in, for me defending BB right now is not easy

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips

In that case the answer is quite simple: Make good use of these bad cards ;)

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
“I've been in tournaments where I was short stacked approaching the money bubble and gone on to come back and win”

This is problem, when you play so tight early tournament, you alive but others remain with big stack, lucky and rarely you can comeback. In difficult case, with short stack, how you can comeback

Who said I play "so tight"? I don't play "so tight". I play tight/aggressive poker. Apparently, tight means something different to me than it does to you. My VPIP stays right around 20%. That means that I'm playing one out of every five hands dealt to me on average. That's not "so tight". I'm not just sitting there waiting for aces, kings or queens. But I'm not limping in with any two cards either. Then you're just playing bingo.

I've frequently said that I play tighter than most players, but not nearly as tight as some people seem to think that I do. I see players limping in and even calling raises with hands that I would never play outside of the blinds. But I also see them limping in with hands that I would not hesitate to raise with. I also see players shoving all-in pre-flop with hands that I would only raise with. The other day, for example, I was playing a tournament and looked up to see A-K suited. That's an excellent starting hand. It's definitely worth seeing a flop with. And it's definitely worth raising with to get the luck boxes and bingo players out of the hand. Then the player two seats behind me 3-bet shoved. I took a moment to consider before making the call. The other guy turns over A-K off.

I have long since ceased to be surprised when this happens. I thought that I had a good starting hand, worthy of raising with to limit the number of players seeing the flop with me. To my opponent these two cards were worthy of risking their entire chip stack and tournament life with. When you play like that, winning one or two hands can catapult you to the top of the leaderboard. But likewise, losing one or two hands can send you plummeting down to the bottom of the leaderboard or out of the tournament all together.

My goal is never to sit around nursing a short stack as the blinds increase, just waiting to be dealt a monster hand. Neither is it to make overly aggressive moves that can get me knocked out just as easily as doubled up. I'm happy to play a tight (not so tight)/aggressive (but not overly aggressive) poker. As long as I'm winning more hands than I lose, and not bleeding chips trying to see a lot of flops with weak starting hands, than I will continue to increase my chip stack and remain competitive in the game, much more competitive than I would be if I jam my stack in with a small pocket pair and get myself knocked out.

F

Fair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who said I play "so tight"? I don't play "so tight". I play tight/aggressive poker. Apparently, tight means something different to me than it does to you. My VPIP stays right around 20%. That means that I'm playing one out of every five hands dealt to me on average. That's not "so tight". I'm not just sitting there waiting for aces, kings or queens. But I'm not limping in with any two cards either. Then you're just playing bingo.

I've frequently said that I play tighter than most players, but not nearly as tight as some people seem to think that I do. I see players limping in and even calling raises with hands that I would never play outside of the blinds. But I also see them limping in with hands that I would not hesitate to raise with. I also see players shoving all-in pre-flop with hands that I would only raise with. The other day, for example, I was playing a tournament and looked up to see A-K suited. That's an excellent starting hand. It's definitely worth seeing a flop with. And it's definitely worth raising with to get the luck boxes and bingo players out of the hand. Then the player two seats behind me 3-bet shoved. I took a moment to consider before making the call. The other guy turns over A-K off.

I have long since ceased to be surprised when this happens. I thought that I had a good starting hand, worthy of raising with to limit the number of players seeing the flop with me. To my opponent these two cards were worthy of risking their entire chip stack and tournament life with. When you play like that, winning one or two hands can catapult you to the top of the leaderboard. But likewise, losing one or two hands can send you plummeting down to the bottom of the leaderboard or out of the tournament all together.

My goal is never to sit around nursing a short stack as the blinds increase, just waiting to be dealt a monster hand. Neither is it to make overly aggressive moves that can get me knocked out just as easily as doubled up. I'm happy to play a tight (not so tight)/aggressive (but not overly aggressive) poker. As long as I'm winning more hands than I lose, and not bleeding chips trying to see a lot of flops with weak starting hands, than I will continue to increase my chip stack and remain competitive in the game, much more competitive than I would be if I jam my stack in with a small pocket pair and get myself knocked out.

Perfect answer, thank you for spending more time writing this long answer for stranger like me. Thank you very much!
When i have read all your answer, i surprisingly realized a truth that: every tournament i did can gain a little prize, i have just been playing like what you said. Then get knocked out by overly aggressive, if i can play discipline like you, maybe I not in this poor bank roll right now.

M

masa11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main thing here is to carry food for myself :)

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Fundiver's advice about knowing the correct pre-flop ranges is the best advice you can follow since you're main concern appears to be always folding "bad" hands and finding yourself blinded out. May I add to his post that you could look at the 30 day course here on CC and focus on the section on pre-flop ranges. Take a close look at the suggested ranges for each position and also read the separate section on defending the big blind. You might just find your pref-flop ranges have been too tight, especially in the late positions.

Then, as you adjust your game, read up on value betting so you make better bet sizing choices when your hand hits the board on the flop. This is an important skill to learn so you make as much profit as you can from a good hand. Without these stack building plays you will find it hard to reach the money. Good luck.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, you play many freerolls and very micro tourneys. You got the idea from there. Those freerolls are about luck till you reach the last 5%. Then it can change a bit. There is that amazing trend 6-7 players call the amazing 1 BB - often 100 BB deep - then bet one 1 BB with nothing again and again till the river, and there, if someone just has 2 pairs go allin.. and they never fold preflop, even if you raise over the pot. So there, be very aggresive, does not matter the opponents, and there your preflop range don't have to be so tight, except the last phase of the tourney.

Those are freerolls, or cheap micros, people play it for fun, mostly. I like, when guys questioning, complaining because of busted AA vs 38o or something else in preflop allins, with an other 2-3 players being in the pot, in this case your AA worth nothing.

If you see the table fulfilled players like this, be very aggressive, CG size (3-5BB) open bets, pot raise etc. Someone will call.

When you will start micro/low level, you will recognize the difference. You cannot compare the 2. The freerolls mostly about luck - especially where these limper machines play.

By the way, the bad and good cards need a bit more explanation... an A10o good from button, but one of the worst from UTG, example... don't talk about actions before your turn... who against you play... etc.