blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/324HESS7T

On the final table of a $3 NLHE Progressive Knock-out with approximately 38000 in chips in the BB. Blinds are 800/1600. MP (29000 chips) raises to 7200, CO (41000) calls - I'm in the BB and have pocket Jacks. I think for a few seconds and realize I have 2 options - raise all in or fold - I fold.

After reviewing the hand I wonder if I made the right decision to fold. What would you have done?

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I jam, but my default in PKO's is to be super aggressive since half the prize pool is locked up in the bounties, you have to go for them. We have a premium hand well-disguised in the blinds which means your opponents are gonna give you extra credit for having a monster.

You didn't really provide enough info, for instance, are you in the money yet or not? That can greatly affect our decision here of course. You do cover one of the players who is in the hand, so there's a bounty in play, that makes me more willing to jam jacks here.

Despite my opinions, I don't think you can make a terrible decision here, jamming seems fine, as does folding. While we see we were indeed ahead preflop, we also see we lose to a random junk board. We shouldn't be results-oriented but it just shows us that JJ isn't hugely strong in these spots, its just as vulnerable or strong as most holdem hands are, it really just boils down to your mindset in PKO tourneys. As I said, I think they are made for aggro play and so I tend to play them more aggressively. Perhaps I shove JJ here in a PKO but in a normal freezeout I fold em. Good hand to analyze, thanks for posting.

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was in the money

I jam, but my default in PKO's is to be super aggressive since half the prize pool is locked up in the bounties, you have to go for them. We have a premium hand well-disguised in the blinds which means your opponents are gonna give you extra credit for having a monster.

You didn't really provide enough info, for instance, are you in the money yet or not? That can greatly affect our decision here of course. You do cover one of the players who is in the hand, so there's a bounty in play, that makes me more willing to jam jacks here.

Despite my opinions, I don't think you can make a terrible decision here, jamming seems fine, as does folding. While we see we were indeed ahead preflop, we also see we lose to a random junk board. We shouldn't be results-oriented but it just shows us that JJ isn't hugely strong in these spots, it's just as vulnerable or strong as most Holdem hands are, it really just boils down to your mindset in PKO tourneys. As I said, I think they are made for aggro play and so I tend to play them more aggressively. Perhaps I shove JJ here in a PKO but in a normal freezeout, I fold em. Good hand to analyze, thanks for posting.
Yes I was already in the money and it was the ft

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s all in jam, you cover original raiser, if CO have really strong hand, he will jam it self to isolate other players, most of the time he will fold( depends on your table image). Then again, who raise 4,5BB? In my experience, someone who don’t want to see flop, but if someone calls or jams, they have pretty good equity(small pocket pairs, and maybe AK or AQ). So I think it’s really good spot for gamble. I would go all in. To win, you have to be prepared to pool the trigger, and klick that button, ALL IN !!!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're definitely right that it's a shove-or-fold spot, nice job recognizing that.

As others have said, it's best to shove here based on how strong your hand is and the fact that you can often get it heads-up with a lot of overlay (extra money from the caller, blinds, and antes). Keep in mind that PKOs are more weighted toward first place because of the bounty. In a spot like this, go for it!

J

JESSIE924

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Es mesa final y no puedes esperar tener AA para ir con todo, yo hubiera ido all in.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I was already in the money and it was the ft

That's important information which could affect your decision in this hand. I don't have the table up on my screen, but if I recall, you have a very similar stack size to about half of the final table, and this means we need to consider the ICM implications of our decision.

But since ICM is sort of a topic all by itself, and since I'm not an ICM expert, I won't delve too deeply into this line of thought. For a detailed ICM analysis of this spot we'd need to know the payout structure for the tournament, etc. I simply bring the concept up for discussion: Do we fold JJ slightly more often here due to ICM considerations? Is ICM enough of a thing in this spot to change a shove into a fold?

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting distribution :) This situation when you played absolutely wrong, but you were very lucky :) I think you had to call to see the flop. You can't fold JJ in this situation,but after seeing the flop, I think the best solution is to fold, without emotion, without problems. But you should understand that if you play a call +7000 chips when there are 18,000 (25,000) on the table and you have 30,000 left on the final table, and the flop is successful for you, it is necessary and mandatory to close everything with the next bet and of course play all in. But in this situation, the flop is very bad for you and making a fold on the flop is the best solution. I would play like this...

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/324HESS7T

On the final table of a $3 NLHE Progressive Knock-out with approximately 38000 in chips in the BB. Blinds are 800/1600. MP (29000 chips) raises to 7200, CO (41000) calls - I'm in the BB and have pocket Jacks. I think for a few seconds and realize I have 2 options - raise all in or fold - I fold.

After reviewing the hand I wonder if I made the right decision to fold. What would you have done?

It depends on the current game and my mental state. If I haven't had good hands in a long time. I would have thought it was the only chance of winning and gone Allin.

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with LFC_yllnwa

Most of the players on this thread are saying jam it....but....I think you have to take into account what kind of tournament this is. This is a knockout tournament which means, either one of these players are looking for someone to take the bait. Either one of them could have had pocket KK's or even worse pocket Aces and would have jammed with you because that's how you obtain bounty. Like LFC_yllnwa said, calling is the right choice here. Who knows, you may have had a situation in which neither one of them hit on the flop and the flop was all number cards and you could have even bet the pot and made them fold. Better yet, a Jack could have came out on the river and then like LFC_yllnwa said, "it's all-in." I feel as though you could have afforded the call, especially with a hand like pocket Jacks. I would love for you to have told us what the flop, turn and river cards where. Well don't worry, it wasn't the first hand and I'm sure it's wasn't the last. Good Luck!:D

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the players on this thread are saying jam it....but....I think you have to take into account what kind of tournament this is. This is a knockout tournament which means, either one of these players are looking for someone to take the bait. Either one of them could have had pocket KK's or even worse pocket Aces and would have jammed with you because that's how you obtain bounty. Like LFC_yllnwa said, calling is the right choice here. Who knows, you may have had a situation in which neither one of them hit on the flop and the flop was all number cards and you could have even bet the pot and made them fold. Better yet, a Jack could have came out on the river and then like LFC_yllnwa said, "it's all-in." I feel as though you could have afforded the call, especially with a hand like pocket Jacks. I would love for you to have told us what the flop, turn and river cards where. Well don't worry, it wasn't the first hand and I'm sure it's wasn't the last. Good Luck!:D
here is the replay on the hand https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/324HESS7T