What went wrong?

D

dredd09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How much wrong did I play? Should I ever play this hand on early game? I think I had a clear fold on turn. But, is it wise to fold second best flush?

***** 888poker Hand History for Game 200130210 *****
$15/$30 Blinds No Limit Holdem - *** 23 10 2018 00:05:00
Tournament #129200328 $15 + $1.50 - Table #13 9 Max (real money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: pro_Kiev888 ( $4,901 )
Seat 2: robalinho88 ( $5,048 )
Seat 3: reenie22 ( $4,713 )
Seat 4: MECTEPEO ( $4,991 )
Seat 5: 70waldi ( $4,054 )
Seat 6: Anydeux ( $4,991 )
Seat 7: FatalGrin ( $4,991 )
Seat 9: Yuliya7999 ( $6,658 )
Seat 10: Dredd09 ( $4,653 )
Dredd09 posts ante [$3]
Yuliya7999 posts ante [$3]
70waldi posts ante [$3]
pro_Kiev888 posts ante [$3]
robalinho88 posts ante [$3]
reenie22 posts ante [$3]
MECTEPEO posts ante [$3]
FatalGrin posts ante [$3]
Anydeux posts ante [$3]
robalinho88 posts small blind [$15]
reenie22 posts big blind [$30]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Dredd09 [ Kh, Qs ]
MECTEPEO raises [$90]
70waldi folds
Anydeux folds
FatalGrin calls [$90]
Yuliya7999 folds
Dredd09 raises [$180]
pro_Kiev888 folds
robalinho88 folds
reenie22 folds
MECTEPEO calls [$90]
FatalGrin calls [$90]
** Dealing flop ** [ 2h, 3h, 7s ]
MECTEPEO checks
FatalGrin checks
Dredd09 bets [$210]
MECTEPEO calls [$210]
FatalGrin folds
** Dealing turn ** [ 4h ]
MECTEPEO checks
Dredd09 bets [$516]
MECTEPEO raises [$1,488]
Dredd09 calls [$972]
** Dealing river ** [ 5h ]
MECTEPEO bets [$3,110]
Dredd09 calls [$2,772]
** Summary **
MECTEPEO shows [ 8h, Ah ]
Dredd09 shows [ Kh, Qs ]
MECTEPEO collected [ $9,552 ]

This is how I play pretty much everyday. Please give me a suggestion coz I can't take mine. Thank you.

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the raise on turn are the key here, villain range are probably straight, flush, or a better flush draw (w/ top pair kind of hand).
w/ a raise thats almost 1/3 our stack, i think its become shove/fold situation on turn (im folding here, its maybe close w/ AhXx - but even with that im probably still folding)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Might get more suggestions in the cash games section. You ask a question pre-flop and got an answer. Ask the same question post flop. At no time was Villain folding to you're raises. Checking the turn would have saved you some on this hand.

Villain trapped you and you ignored the answers you got on the raises. At what point did you not believe they had a hand?

D

dredd09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the raise on turn are the key here, villain range are probably straight, flush, or a better flush draw (w/ top pair kind of hand).
w/ a raise thats almost 1/3 our stack, i think its become shove/fold situation on turn (im folding here, its maybe close w/ AhXx - but even with that im probably still folding)

Duly Noted. Next Time I will never call the turn when I bluff.

Might get more suggestions in the cash games section. You ask a question pre-flop and got an answer. Ask the same question post flop. At no time was Villain folding to you're raises. Checking the turn would have saved you some on this hand.

Villain trapped you and you ignored the answers you got on the raises. At what point did you not believe they had a hand?

- So, Even if he has straight I still got the flush at the river. In my opinion I should fold after Tanking a while - when he re raised me at the turn. But, After the river is it kinda hard or a easy fold having the King High Flush what do you think?

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played poorly. First of all, there's no reason to 3-bet 2x there. If you are ever going to 3-bet, make it bigger to make people either fold (when you are 3-bet bluffing) or pay you more (when you have a real hand). Usually I'd just flat the hand on the early phases, since people tend to play a bit more sticky and it's not a particularly strong hand, even tho it has great playability
Second of all, there's absolutely no reason to c-bet that flop. All you have is two overcards and backdoor flush draw, and the pot is already big. No reason to inflate it even more.
However, you get paid, and this takes us to the turn. You pick up a flush draw. Once again, I see no reason to bet once you're checked to. There's not much we could make the opponent fold that hasn't already folded on the flop. I suggest you just check and see what you can do on the river.
On the river, there is really not much you could have done. You have a strong hand and he could have raised you with any flushes (QhJh for example). You simply have to call (not being particularly happy, however) and hope you still have the best hand

Last edited:
MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Duly Noted. Next Time I will never call the turn when I bluff.

- So, Even if he has straight I still got the flush at the river. In my opinion I should fold after Tanking a while - when he re raised me at the turn. But, After the river is it kinda hard or a easy fold having the King High Flush what do you think?

Villain had checked the turn, you now get a free look at a back door flush. Now you at least have a choice to check, fold or call on the river. He called every raise, you have to at least put them on a hand. Can they beat a King high straight or can you fold it?

Is he calling every raise (yes), they could be open ended on the straight or has a flush draw (only possibility), if it is a flush, is the the nut high(?), did he make it on the turn (he didn't bet, or are they trapping).

If you are thinking about a flush on the turn, you should not be betting the turn. It is the only hope you have besides being aggressive which you have already did unsuccessfully. Throwing a third bullet on that board was a mistake and calling the raise was a bigger one.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This early I don't want to build big pots unless I have a very good hand. KQo is not very strong and in the face of a raiser and a caller I'd happily call but I wouldn't re-raise. I don't think your bet of double the raise was ever going to get any folds but a high pair could have re-raised, forcing you to fold.
You didn't hit the flop but I would c-bet about half the pot a little more than you did because they both showed weakness by checking to you so it was possible they'd fold. If either call I'm quite sure they're beating me as I only have K-high.
I wouldn't bet the turn, I've got nothing and this guy clearly has something and there's 3 hearts on the board and several straight draws. When he re-raises you he definitely has something, you're getting 3-1 pot odds and you're about 4-1 to hit your flush (your only probable chance of winning) so I would fold. Though one could argue the implied odds justify a call
You hit your K high flush on the flop so yeah I would call if I found myself in this spot.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You played very well till your opponent reraised and finaly made a much bigger bet. There you should think of flushes. When you see big bets with four h cards on the table, you must be prepaired for possible Ah!

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should flat before the flop, in this early stage. It's more safe. But also 3betting it s fine if you like to play on the aggressive side, but you should 3 bet bigger with this stacks. Then a bet on the flop is fine, but on the turn you could also check. But again, on the aggressive side you bet again, but when you opponents reraise, in the majority cases, you are beat. In this case he is in the flush or a set range. Also you had to take into consideration that it s not likely that he would have reraised with a Q flush draw. Maybe you had the correct odds to call, based on his range, but you could also be drawind dead, as it happened in our situation.

So both plays are correct( call or raise) but with different approach after the flop and also different bet sizes.

In general I agree also with players that are playing agrressive in the early stage, especially when they are taking advantage of the weaker players.

D

dredd09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool... Thank you everyone nice explanations.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What went wrong ?
Sometimes i ask myself that, when i see the pot move to the ohter player :D

Preflop - imo you should either have flatcalled or reraised bigger.
You price them both in with the micro reraise. 320-350 would be my 3 bet.

Flop - You follow through with a c bet, i like that. maybe a slightly low c bet.
I would go a little higher now i represent a very strong hand preflop.

Turn - I would fold every day, and 2 times on sundays, to that reraise on that board ;)
To ignore the board and the other players action was your downfall in this hand.

River - When you call the turn there, you did right to call river with your K high flush, i cant
see anything wrong with that call.

Not a pro, not by any book - This is just my oppinion :cool:

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overall, I think the problem was you were too aggressive preflop and postflop to where you just spewed chips. My recommendation is to study up on hand ranges and how to put your opponent on hand ranges since it could save you. The real killer is that you called an opponent's raise on the turn when there were three hearts on the board. It would have better had you fold.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
betting the turn was a mistake. Ask yourself what is calling with here? Mostly straights and flushes. If you check there the hand becomes much easier to lay down if your beat

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What went wrong ?
Sometimes i ask myself that, when i see the pot move to the ohter player :D

Preflop - imo you should either have flatcalled or reraised bigger.
You price them both in with the micro reraise. 320-350 would be my 3 bet.

Flop - You follow through with a c bet, i like that. maybe a slightly low c bet.
I would go a little higher now i represent a very strong hand preflop.

Turn - I would fold every day, and 2 times on sundays, to that reraise on that board ;)
To ignore the board and the other players action was your downfall in this hand.

River - When you call the turn there, you did right to call river with your K high flush, i cant
see anything wrong with that call.

Not a pro, not by any book - This is just my oppinion :cool:

Exactly what I thought, good to see that other people think like me
Either we're both fish, or we're good players haha

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In early levels of a tourney, KQo isn't likely to be ahead of a UTG raising range (unless perhaps you had some history vs. Villain but this is VERY unlikely as it looks like you're in Level 1 of the tourney). IF you knew Villain was openly wide and was a huge fish, 3-betting in position in an effort to isolate them & take initiative could be okay.... but your sizing is TERRIBLE!!

When making a decision on the table ask yourself "Why?"
In this case.. "Why are we 3-betting in this spot with KQo?"
"Why have we chosen this sizing?" (what would be correct sizing.. & why?)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My suggestion(s):
First off, there's just too many mistakes in this hand to know where to begin with a 'suggestion' but I will try.
Pick up a couple of books on Tournament poker so that you can get a foundation in which to work from. (start at the beginning.... ie. Harrington On Holdem Vol.1)