what should be most important factors to remember during bubble phase?

B

blacknight92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing satelitte tourney for big tournament. 8 players left. 5 seat guaranteed.

Utg went all in with AQo. Would it be right decision to call his shove with TT. We both had equal stack. I am new to tournaments.

Would like few tips on what should be my main objective on bubble phase when i am small stack. Thanks

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing satelitte tourney for big tournament. 8 players left. 5 seat guaranteed.

Utg went all in with AQo. Would it be right decision to call his shove with TT. We both had equal stack. I am new to tournaments.

Would like few tips on what should be my main objective on bubble phase when i am small stack. Thanks
Survival should be your top priority but
Depends on chipstacks relative to the blinds and antes if 1 or 2 out of 8 fold if 7 or 8 out of 8 call before blinded out more information needed good luck.:)

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since it was a sattelite, I would probably have folded and just wait until somebody else makes a mistake.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends.

If you're in the 6th-8th position, you're likely going to need a double (or two) to up get into the 5th spot or better to almost guarantee a ticket. So, I'd say you call here.

If you're in the 1-5th spot and pretty much guaranteed a ticket, but losing the hand will drop you to the bottom 6th-8th spot, then calling isn't worth it.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let him have it. 10/10 has for fold to any overcard on the flop, and who knows what else he might have. Perhaps someone else will take him out. Calling an all-in is always a worse move than opening with one. Good luck. By the way how did you know he had A/Q offsuit?

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might not call with 10 10 in this situation. I mean you are talking about risking your whole tournament on what would have been a flip. Too risky. Let 3 of the other players crash and burn. If you were low in chips, you'd have work to do so unfortunately you would have to call with a hand like 10 10.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you approached a bucks stage with small in comparison to opponents the stack, adhere to the most taytovy game and do not scatter the counters for a draw of weak and average hands. Do not forget that literally every second brings closer you to prizes. In certain cases, perhaps, even that it is necessary to dump such hand as A-K or Q-Q. Here the main principle – what it you should not have "overstayed" at least the 1st opponent. And it at once will become your admission in a prize-winning zone. By the only thing the "correct" hands with which it is possible it will be exposed for broke with a short stack, are AA and KK.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing is the size of your stack of chips compared to your opponents. You may already have enough chips at this point in the tournament to survive to receive your ticket. Since you said that you had about an even stack with the other person than I take it for granted that you hadn't. Considering you're down to the last 8 people in tourney I would guess that most people as a generality were playing tight, but maybe not, I don't know. Pocket 10's, three more people to get knocked out. That's a tough call, but I would have to fold the 10's, even though I wouldn't be very happy making this call, but I say live to fight another day and keep on doing what you are doing the things that helped get you to this point in the tournament and hopefully you would make the cut. That's a really tough call on your part though.

Last edited:
P

PedroePilar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think that the important thing is to classify

I think that in a bubble on a satellite the priority will always be to classify. As much as you have top pairs you have to always look at how many are still missing, and how many chips have the one that is about to fall. If you see that you have few you do not need to get into hands.

S

Souza322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The answer is ICM
omg, i just read about ICM, very important!

it depends on your chips and position, but maybe i would fold

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
At that face, only a few positions from the target, the moves must be carefully and wisely selected. The TTs are very interesting, but it depends from the study of the game till that moment. After this, you consider all the facts and you make your decision!

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ICM basics (from the free MIT course):
At the bubble with TT: never react, just fold.
Reason: it's a likely coin flip, so 50% chance of flying out. Chance of making itm with fold is >>50%, so: fold.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always wait in such cases when any of the players makes a mistake. If the stack is small, I even suffer with an average card and go to allin , but only if no one has raised me before. Still trying to steal BB.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
You should consider some factors such as: what position are you in the tournament ?, Are you at risk of being out of prizes? Is tournament is fast or slow? Are the blinds too high or too low for your stack? depending on that I think you should take the decision to take certain risks or not, you should also bear in mind that your priority is to stay in winning places since it is a satellite, then you must analyze a little more the plays and the players

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are the small stack, I would take the flip. You don't know for sure they have TT, and if they have a short stack too they might have a weaker ace. It just comes down to variance when you are in the short stack. You can't be results oriented in these spots. Instead look to how you played leading up to becoming the short stack and decide if you could have made better decision to maintain your stack.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s very good if you have figured out as much as you can about your opponents playing style.
This way you can steal some pots near the bubble and get a big advantage by collecting some chips while other players just fold and pay the blinds u til they are ITM...

B

blacknight92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let him have it. 10/10 has for fold to any overcard on the flop, and who knows what else he might have. Perhaps someone else will take him out. Calling an all-in is always a worse move than opening with one. Good luck. By the way how did you know he had A/Q offsuit?

Because I called his shove. lol
And lost.... :(
was 7th rank. He was sixth, had only 500 chips more than me

B

blacknight92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you guys for all the advice. I see it was bad move to call with TT

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you guys for all the advice. I see it was bad move to call with TT
It wasn't though. If you're both in 6th/7th and the satellite only seats 5 players, you needed a double up have a chance at winning a seat.