What Range Would You Call Against A 3bet?

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Let's say we open raise in MP to LP and an opponent decides to 3bet us out of position[3-3.5x the initial open].I was wondering , what range would you flat against a 3bet OOP and against a regular 3bettor? We are in position and let's say we have stacks to maneuver post flop.
To make things simpler we don't have any other callers and our table image is well balanced.

Do you call hands like Ax rags or hands which have more playability post flop? something like suited connectors etc?

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play with poketpairs, AT +, if I have QQ, KK, AA I will probably go allin preflop, other pairs I will play depending on the flop, the image of the villain and my image on the table.

If I have more than twice as many villain chips I can add to my call range, AXs, KXs, and suited connectors. this will all depend on the moment of the tournament, whether we are in the bubble, or whether we are already in ITM.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to stay away from A/rag. It just ends badly too often. Depending on the player and your style/stack I think you could call pairs or suited connectors. I wouldn't do it all the time but if you are calling something like 88 or 67s you will know where you are at in the hand. You either hammered it and will win a big pot or you let it go. When you make calls with things like A/rag even when an A hits you never know where you are at, and often you are really behind.

P

pokijh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is early i would call with TT-QQ. 4 bet with KK-AA and AK. I would also consider calling with AQs and KQs if it goes three ways or more.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's say we open raise in MP to LP and an opponent decides to 3bet us out of position[3-3.5x the initial open].I was wondering , what range would you flat against a 3bet OOP and against a regular 3bettor? We are in position and let's say we have stacks to maneuver post flop.
To make things simpler we don't have any other callers and our table image is well balanced.

Do you call hands like Ax rags or hands which have more playability post flop? something like suited connectors etc?
I think that you can consider flatting with most all of your opening range when the 3bet is 3x your open or less. You have position - play your opponent post flop.

When the 3bet is greater than 3x your open then I think you should tighten up your flatting range to maybe the top and bottom of your opening range. You could also consider 4betting the top and bottom of your opening range instead of flatting. I would fold the marginal hands in the middle of your opening range to the 3bet (unless is was a min 3 bet.. then flat everything).

W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against a frequent 3-better I would call with all of my normal in-position calling range- suited connectors, pocket pairs, etc.

I would choose hands that play well post-flop, as you said.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Much depends on the opponent, but mostly
my range call 3-bet - 88-JJ, AQ, AK

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am with Elizeuof.I prefer AA ,KK,QQ TT ;powerfull hands against 3bet.Or simply fold.

Last edited:
Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If villain has a high 3bet percentage then yes I'd open up my range and possibly 4bet depending on my blockers, his stack size and range and my table image. If I have Ax I'm not too comfortable 4betting but I will just so that these types of hands are in my 4betting range. In this situation if I hadn't established a 4bet range Ax would be a decent start then when I do have a top 5% hand it'll more then likely lead to my opponent calling from behind or getting it in behind. Also it shows that I can't be pushed around. BUT MORE OFTEN in position I probably call the 3bet and allow my opponent to play poorly after the flop.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play with poketpairs, AT +, if I have QQ, KK, AA I will probably go allin preflop, other pairs I will play depending on the flop, the image of the villain and my image on the table.

If I have more than twice as many villain chips I can add to my call range, AXs, KXs, and suited connectors. this will all depend on the moment of the tournament, whether we are in the bubble, or whether we are already in ITM.
If you call then you have an extremely condensed range. I can now eliminate any of those hands making it much easier to put you on a hand. You may as well play you hand face up

Viera56

Viera56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you believe your opponent plays better than you postflop, I think you should make things easier with a 4-bet or all-in with premium hands (AA, KK, QQ, AK). Now if the player is medium / weak I will flat with many hands (small pairs, 99+ and premium hands).

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you call then you have an extremely condensed range. I can now eliminate any of those hands making it much easier to put you on a hand. You may as well play you hand face up

+1

That is why you can actually call with a very wide range. Until you get to a high level of play you just don't see a lot of 3bets. You can really put the villain on a range, I generally give them credit for AK or a big pair. Small/med pairs and suited connectors are more in my range than a weak ace or 2 face cards. If I hit the flop, going to win a big pot, if I miss I know right where I'm at and I get away from it.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
+1

That is why you can actually call with a very wide range. Until you get to a high level of play you just don't see a lot of 3bets. You can really put the villain on a range, I generally give them credit for AK or a big pair. Small/med pairs and suited connectors are more in my range than a weak ace or 2 face cards. If I hit the flop, going to win a big pot, if I miss I know right where I'm at and I get away from it.

I was watching a high stakes replay but I don't remember the screen name of the player. He was one of the very strong regulars. When you play against that strong opponents your 3 bet range and your 3 bet flatting range must be so much polarized. The guy was 3 betting hands like 53s haha out of position.

You can't compete them by playing abc. Maybe I overthink it about the micro stakes I play but ok. I like the game and I like the way you approach it too.

Good Luck!

LemonAmnezia

LemonAmnezia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it profitable to raise 10 9 suited under the gun with an over average stack? :playingba

bombardinho

bombardinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regarding the ranges, everything is relative. It is necessary to know the rivals and have an idea of what ranges they play and in what situation. In general, you must adhere to the standard thight strategy, depending on the number of chips in our stack. As you accumulate information about opponents you can expand or narrow the range

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Is it profitable to raise 10 9 suited under the gun with an over average stack? :playingba

Apparently it is not a yes or no answer but it is kinda irrelevant with the topic we discuss here. Create a new thread with the question :)

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG/MP : JJ, QQ, AKs, AKo (KK+ = 4bet)
CO/BU : 77-JJ, ATs-AQs, KTs-KQs,QJs,AJo,AQo (QQ+,AKs,AKo = 4bet)

bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TT+, AK, AQ, KQs as standard. I'll alter this depending on the opponent and the situation (stack sizes etc). Calling too wide is a bad move against most players (obviously there are exceptions).

nobodysf00l

nobodysf00l

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree EXCEPT would not shove pre w/QQ ;(

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it depends on stacks. If I cover him, I put his range on a good pair and expect a shove postflop so I prefer better to call with a suited connector to hit a straight or a flush and stack him off rather having AKo type hands.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avoid calling three bets in position with Ace rag hands. You will end up mostly dominated by their three betting range.

Also it depends how deep you are - with shorted stacks you want high card value and with deeper stacks you can afford to set mine and play lower suited connectors.

You can also consider your opponents - a lot of good players will three-bet from the blinds with marginal hands instead of playing them OOP, so you can adjust your strategy to conteract that.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

There is so much to consider with this question - like the other poster said - it requires another thread. These things need to be considered with every hand you play:- Position
- Stack depth
- Opponents
- Table Image

You need to play post-flop a lot better than everyone else at the table to start with.
You need to stack to allow you to see all three streets (if need be). And I don't think great players would open 10 9 suited 100% of the time - only a percentage of the time.

If you have to ask, I would say leave it out of your UTG range.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Avoid calling three bets in position with Ace rag hands. You will end up mostly dominated by their three betting range.

Also it depends how deep you are - with shorted stacks you want high card value and with deeper stacks you can afford to set mine and play lower suited connectors.

You can also consider your opponents - a lot of good players will three-bet from the blinds with marginal hands instead of playing them OOP, so you can adjust your strategy to conteract that.

Yeap the moment I was creating the thread I had in mind playing against a good regular and not a solid rock 3bettor. Ace rags have costed me valuable chips against tight 3 bettors.

Thank you especially for the third paragraph to make things clear, which is a the difference playing against a decent villain. :)

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
about 0.25-0.5 of his 3 bet range. you can somethimes throwing a few light 4bets/calls but. that would be a decent defence range I would think.
+1 you did not say what is this "regular 3betors" stats so. I mean jsut beacuse you or 3bets you 3-4 time does not meant he is trying to exploit. You catualy can get 3-4 good hand in a row, right? =)
+2 you have to acount stacks size. 3beting 150bb deep and 3betting 20bb deep is completely different.