What range of hands do you call when 3-bet?

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was recently playing a one table SNG and it seemed like every time I opened I got 3-bet during the 1st three levels. None of the hands I had were premium so I didn't think I could 4 bet. However, I did not think it was worth calling and playing out of position. The hands I remember were KJs, KQo, ATs, A5s, and A8s. Am I just being too tight?

M

megiverz1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am deep stacked I may call a very wide range of hands. It will depends as well of my position and the number of players who has called before me. Might call with 7-8 suited and up.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Your response should depend on who is 3betting and with how much, amongst other considerations such as your own position and stack. At a certain point you are going to have to defend your opening hands or otherwise you will get exploited. IMO ATs should be a hand you defend against a normal 3bet. KQo may be marginal but may be worth playing against looser opponents when in position.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My range of hands increases when my opponents constantly bet 3-bet for several hours. Because the blinds are rising.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was recently playing a one table SNG and it seemed like every time I opened I got 3-bet during the 1st three levels. None of the hands I had were premium so I didn't think I could 4 bet. However, I did not think it was worth calling and playing out of position. The hands I remember were KJs, KQo, ATs, A5s, and A8s. Am I just being too tight?

Stack sizes and player tendencies are a consideration but I'm only calling OOP with a monster.

If I am going to play my hand I like to 4-bet (even if it is not premium).

I was 2/3 of the way in a live tournie and player to my left 3-bet me twice in one orbit and I folded both times. Then he raised my BB and I tilted and shoved QTo OOP preflop. He called w AJc and I flopped a T and rivered a Q - and he never improved. Neither of us were deeply stacked but he had me covered slightly so I got a nice double up.

And, I gave the speech, "I just couldn't take the 3-bets anymore man!"

If you were playing a hyper-turbo then you may just have to go with your "non-premium hand" at some point if you've committed too much of your stack.

But because you say it was the first few levels then you could afford to fold and re-evaluate the table situation.

Good luck !

Twisterman

Twisterman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO: Since it was a SNG it depends on how many players. With 9 players you can fold all those hands, with 3 players you call with all of them. except maybe A5, unless it was suited. The fewer players, the better those hands are :)

O

obli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can advise if you have a tight reputation at the table, you can 3-bet any hands, if on the contrary it’s better to squeeze the range and hope for a call with a good hand

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Did you always fold these cards and never look at the opponent's cards? Are you serious? How are you going to win?:heeeellllonly with premium AA. It situation depends on many options :confused:

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands