What Are the Pros and Cons Regarding Late Registrations

JopyJoost

JopyJoost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! All, I am not sure if there is a existing thread on this subject or not. I looked around and found none....but I could have missed it.

I am a recreational player and have tried to figure out if there is an advantage coming in on late registration or not. The 10 times I have, I have hit the money area 4 times and won a tournament once.

Most of the tournaments I play are freerolls and I am not sure if that is an advantage or not.

I usually check the beginning stack size and then the time still left in the late registration. I also check the pot size and the number of players left in the tournament. I work out the number of big blinds I would have and if it is anywhere near 10 big blinds I then decide as to jump in or not.

I am no poker whiz so I would like to hear from you all who do take this game to a higher level than I.

Thanks! for your input in advance.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is a preference thing if you want to skip the part of the tournament where everyone is donking off chips and throwing allin with any ace or any two cards you would be wise to use your option to register late but if you want to use your option to play the 67s in the cutoff early in the tournament while the blinds are small enough to do so then you better register while the blinds are small enough to because you shouldn't be playing that type of hand with only 10x the BB remaining that's for sure with 10x the BB remaining you should be in push shove mode pretty much or steal the blind mode to try to build your stack to try to get back to a decent stack size of 20-25BB atleast were you do have something that you can play with.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally i love late reg.the lesser chance of survival in my mind is more than made up for by the hour or hours youve missed the chance of catching a bad beat and also if you sit tight and catch one good hand ,the blinds alone should be enough to see you through,but chances are you will have multiple callers being that they all have much bigger stacks and your all-in is nxt to nothing to them.catch a second good hand on a good day and youre straight up to top ten in a lot of cases.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no pro of late registration. The con of late registration is that in an average tourney in which the field is large, every opportunity and every edge will matter. Even if in the beginning, donks are just donking off their chips making it a push/fold fest, you want to be there for the times you wake up with a monster.
However, if you late reg, you may have only 10-15 BBs so your decisions become simple in that your choices are to either push all in or fold. Rather than waiting to late reg until your that low in chips, why not reg normally so you don't have to be push/fold every hand cuz you're so low in chips?

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said it's a preference thing. The later you come in the shorter you're stack's going to be, a lot of tournaments if you last level reg you'll have between 5-10 blinds. You'll essentially be looking to jam rather then get to play real poker until you get a few doubles in.

I usually like to skip the first hour of the tournament and come in about half way through so I have between 15-20 blinds to work with, it makes it easier to chip up a bit before having to rely on a jam hand.

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hate to say it.. but one of the reasons I come in with a late registration is 'real life' Plenty of times I am still at work or family activities are going on. Just don't have the 4 hours plus to spare. If you run into good hands near the cutoff you can double and triple up pretty easily as others are coming in or they have a smaller stack and are trying to increase what they have prior to Late Registration ending. On the 'con' side.. if you're not getting decent starting cards the blinds at that stage will eat you up pretty quickly.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where I play, most of the tournaments are re-entry tournaments that last through the first 9 blind levels. I don't care for this at all. When the tournament starts, tables are not very full. There aren't many chips changing hands and you are playing against only 2 or 3 other players at the table. I generally wait it out until the 3rd or 4th level. At that point, the tables have filled up and the blinds are still fairly low, but worth stealing occasionally. If I wait until later levels, it basically becomes only a pre-flop and flop game because my stack is too short to be able to play all the way to the river.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PRO - you spend a couple of hours less seated in that tournament - you could be doing something else....sleeping? lol
CON - you are entering a tournament as a shortstack and that makes your outcome high variance - often min cashing at best. It will be very difficult to NOT be all-in soon after entry. You will not have the chipstack for a lot of play.
CON - not familiar with players at your table - but some of them have been playing with each other for hours
PRO or CON - no more rebuys for you! The window to buy back in will be closed soon after you enter....make something happen or else no more entry...……...
PRO - you can more accurately estimate how many chips are needed to cash in the tournie
PRO - you are not saddled with anyone's table image - you are sort of playing fresh
CON - you don't have an established table image - table should just assume you are looking for a spot to shove preflop or setup a pot - you are predictable

Good luck !

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The only thing good I can see about late registration is if you happen to miss the start you can still join in and you can spend less time playing. The cons, If you register late you may be a short stack to stark the game. Ive seen people join last level with 8-12 BB and are in push and fold mod right away. Really what the point here? We play poker to win money for sure but we really play because we love the game. I think the biggest issue for me is I like to play with deeper stacks. I feel I have a better chance to grow my stack this way with much less risk to be knocked out.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! All, I am not sure if there is a existing thread on this subject or not. I looked around and found none....but I could have missed it.

I am a recreational player and have tried to figure out if there is an advantage coming in on late registration or not. The 10 times I have, I have hit the money area 4 times and won a tournament once.

Most of the tournaments I play are freerolls and I am not sure if that is an advantage or not.

I usually check the beginning stack size and then the time still left in the late registration. I also check the pot size and the number of players left in the tournament. I work out the number of big blinds I would have and if it is anywhere near 10 big blinds I then decide as to jump in or not.

I am no poker whiz so I would like to hear from you all who do take this game to a higher level than I.

Thanks! for your input in advance.

It allows time for the jokers to diappear, the disadvantage is that your stack will be too small to take chances and push players around.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pros:
- you enter the tournament closer to ITM
- easier to fold your way into money
- less varience as you are pretty much on a short stack and can only apply push/fold strategy

Cons:
- you are shortstack and need to rely on having a better hand in all-in situations,
- it is much harder to get to late stages, especially the FT meaning hard to have a big ROI (return of investment)

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its a timing thing with other activities.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I think its preferential.
Personally I will be on the table as soon as I am allowed to sit (live and online).
Thats my choice, play poker longer:)
With coming in late I feel disoriented, as compared to sitting from the start where I feel focused.
Thanks
Manoj
Bluffzone68

M

motherfunky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
late reg 5 mins before registration ends with an add on is quite a good idea, saves a lot of time and if the poker gods are on board you should have a good chance of getting paid.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most pronounced in the late check-outs is the size of your stack in relation to the majority of the stack size. The later you register in the tournament to be the wider range of your hands and aggressive style of play. Poker can very easily turn into a lottery where victory will depend entirely on luck. But if you are lucky you will get to the money, and maybe win the tournament no matter what stage you are logged into the tournament.

JopyJoost

JopyJoost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WOW!!!! Thank you all for the comments given. I was not expecting such a big response. Keep them coming as I appreciate your thoughts.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late registering is just an extension of the crazy early game hurry up and chip up. While late reg is good for short play ITM sniping, it usually triggers a feeding frenzy midway in a tourney.
As many have said, it is a matter of preference. Ether you like catching the train at the station, or jumping onboard when it is passing a road crossing.

V

Vasilii813

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Message 7'

Hello.! Late registration is worse because when you enter the blinds are high and you have to pay more often if you enter the game when you start the tournament from the beginning you can win the tournament without rebuys and General purchase, that's the difference. That is, a person who wants to participate in the tournament but who does not have much money should participate from the beginning to watch a greater number of hands until the blinds have grown.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It allows time for the jokers to diappear, the disadvantage is that your stack will be too small to take chances and push players around.

Why would you want the jokers to disappear? That is the biggest disadvantage to registering late.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I do not agree. Late registration puts you much closer to the bubble, and with few decisions to make. The more decisions we have to make, the more mistakes we can make. In addition, a single correct decision after late registration already puts you within the average amount of chips.

D

donkey2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends

late registration can obviously work with or against you

for example
you are out doing shopping and log in only to find a decent sized prize tourny so you can then register

or you can do what i normally do and log in and see one and think yeah good prize only $5 only to realize you get 3000 starting chips and the BB are 1500/3000 with a 250 anti and you are in the BB on your first hand with a 27 off lolol with no choice but to be all in.

so always remember that if you are registering late to check the lobby for the current blind level as well as the starting chip amount

you can thank me later to those who dont generally do this as a rule lol trust me it can be an expensive mistake especially if you enter 50+ dollar tournies...

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've done it both ways, enter early and last minute. I have made it to the money more often on a late reg, but made it higher up on an early reg. The net is more dollars on early reg. For example, I buy in $20 late reg, and get into the money at 113th place. I take home about $30. Profitable sort of. I might do that 3-5 times a week. If five times, then net is about $50. I also might do early reg 2 times a week, bust one due to early bad beat, and get to final table on the other. The final table pays lets say $200. Net is $160 for two games. In the first set I spend 3 hours per game, so 15 hours for $50. That makes late reg about $3/hour. Not so good. I would be 6 hours in a tourney for early reg, so 12 hours making $160. That is above $13 per hour, better than four times the money for the effort. Yes, It is easier to get to the money with late reg, but easier to really profit if you play the whole tourney.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you want the jokers to disappear? That is the biggest disadvantage to registering late.

bad beats, inability to play playable hads. This is for freerolls.

M

muky2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You said you are playing mostly freerolls and I think the strategy for them depends on exactly how wild the one you are playing in is. I always look at the number of players registered and how many players are left in recurring freerolls at different levels. For example, the step one Venom freerolls will usually lose one half of the entrants in the first 30 minutes of the tourney!! This means it is an any two cards shove fest for a good part of that fist half hour.

If you don't mind either joining the shove fest with your top holding, and coin flipping for a larger stack, then join early, or late reg and you will likely have to shove your good hands eventually if you get to the 10BB level. Seems that it is hard to argue that one is significantly better than the other in the real wild freerolls.

There are some less wild freerolls, usually the private ones, with small enough field to enable good play to expect to reach the money. In these I would want to register earlier.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bad beats, inability to play playable hads. This is for freerolls.

So you are saying that if I told you are the start of the freeroll that I will give you an 70% chance of starting with twice as many chips and a 30% chance you had to wait until the next freeroll you wouldn't take it?

Variance happens, to be successful at poker, I think you have to embrace it.