What do you think is the best strategy to win a poker tournament?

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know you can't generalize because every tournament is different, and the strategy can depend on whether it's Live or online, the buy-in can also determine the strategy...etc.
What do you think?
I am interested in everything about the subject. :)

bioluchin

bioluchin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
Hi I m gonna try to give you my point of view (sorry about my english but it´s far away of being my first language hahaha). I think it´s depend on the context of the tournamente, if it´s a "turbo" or "hiper turbo tournament at the beggining it´s a bit of luck in my opinion because you need call all in soon with good cards on hand or not. If the tournaments it´s normal I prefer to give the ""power"" (i dont know which would be the correct word) to the opponent to make him belief he has the control of the game.
PD: I hope dont get angry about my english I m here to play, chat, and learn.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi I m gonna try to give you my point of view (sorry about my english but it´s far away of being my first language hahaha). I think it´s depend on the context of the tournamente, if it´s a "turbo" or "hiper turbo tournament at the beggining it´s a bit of luck in my opinion because you need call all in soon with good cards on hand or not. If the tournaments it´s normal I prefer to give the ""power"" (i dont know which would be the correct word) to the opponent to make him belief he has the control of the game.
PD: I hope dont get angry about my english I m here to play, chat, and learn.
There's nothing wrong with your English, thank you for your answer and it opens up another conversation opportunity, because deep or turbo, hyper-turbo tournaments require different strategies.
I look forward to further constructive discussions!

Hyper Turbo strategy?
Turbo strategy?
Deep strategy?
Live tournament strategy?
Tight, Loose aggressive strategy?
Is it a card-dependent or card-independent game, played only on opponents?
Small stake, Medium stake, Large stake strategy?
I care about everything.
From the perspective of more people, better conclusions can be drawn, go ahead, fellow poker players.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think the most important is to properly observe the table and respond according to the table dynamics.

If barely anyone opens hands, you can loosen up your ranges a little.

If the table has many maniacs on it, who 3-bet or jam frequently, it's probably the best to only play the top of your range.

I try to take notes on my opponents whenever possible and especially on smaller sites, where you bump into the same players a few times, they already helped me quite a few times already.

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
For me i think for turbo tournaments, you should be loose and aggresive, since the tourney progresses faster.

For regulars you can apply the strategy looking at the table dynamics, on the type of players you are facing, if they are loose, you play tight, if they are tight, you play loose.

Thats what i think, im not playing big tournaments yet because my bankroll is 0 haha, i play them once in a while after winning a seat through a freeroll

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think a tight aggressive player is the most profitable in poker and everyone should strive for such a player then you will earn a lot

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the main strategy is to make your best hands pay out to the maximum, and lose less with the worst ones, play those hands at low limits

, on high to play on GTO

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I know you can't generalize because every tournament is different, and the strategy can depend on whether it's Live or online, the buy-in can also determine the strategy...etc.
What do you think?
I am interested in everything about the subject. :)
there is no best strategy to win a poker tournament, but there are good enough strategies that can help you win sometimes, not always the best strategy will work in a given tournament, the best thing to do is to learn the game right and apply some strategies that work in a given hand, depending on the behavior of the table where you are, you can apply a strategy that can help you win more chips, or not be eliminated

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My strategy is to reach the final table and then what will happen along the way.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think that we have to be not disturbed with enything during the tournament and focus at it will be eouth !If dont work i think we have to vizit pockerscool😉

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Call some jammers early on, then try to be more realistic about your play, because you will face better players as the tournament progresses towards the final table.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think the best strategy is to be lucky, maybe have a Rabbits foot in you hand or clover or ….
next best is to observe and take advance of your opponents mistakes and play a TAG play style.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Heard about some "new" strategy recently where you dont check and/or call - i'd imagine this sounds like very perfect to test out in cardchat games.

Also usually any strategy is best enough ...

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In atight conservative game play like a maniac and hope for the best

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
The best strategy is to study everything you can about poker. Books, audio books, YouTube, anything you can get your hands on. Then you can have a good general theory of the game and what your goals will be during hands and throughout the tournament.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
this might sound flippant but you have to find the one that works in any given game. Start with one you are comfortable with and if you don't get positive results then change to another . Keep changing until You find one that works for you in that particular game. Always remember the Darwin effect, You must adapt to the changes in the environment or you will die. Same applies in poker.

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the strategy of the game depends on the opponents who play each time at the table. Those who is playing at the table at this moment, the strategy of the game depends on it.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
IMO the opponents from your table is the most important factor- if everyone is tight and barely plays any hands than you should start opening more hands(loose aggressive* LAG), if you have a few LAG players at your table(especially if they're maniacs)- you should play less hands and when you do try to get max value(tight aggressive* TAG); so IMO you should pay attention to the table dynamics and move from there and create a strategy depending on the stack sizes/ blinds level-up time... also, be aggressive and if you are more towards the passive side as a player and/ or you feel uncomfortable to open/ 3bet/ 4bet despite knowing it's the correct play, than my advice is to move down stakes or just play freerolls to fix this issue(also study helps), as the top spots in tournaments are usually won by aggressive players that know how to 'control' especially the final table and we all know that the real money in mtts is usually for Top3...

GLGL all at the tables!