Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have
:qh4::5h4:

The flop is
:qs4::9c4::js4:

Blinds are 50/100. You both have a stack of 1.500. In the pot there are 550.

Lets say, you have a read and you know you are ahead and that your opponent is on a draw. You have position. Your opponent checks.

What exactly do you do?

Very difficult board. Therefore, playing on such a board is also very difficult. The situation is fifty to fifty. But I would have bet 50% of the pot. After all, the opponent can sit with a pocket 55, as an example. Play a check at your own discretion and knowing the behavior of your opponent.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I "defuse" the flop by checking if they are aggro. Then jamming the turn to give myself 4 to 1. If they arent particularly aggro I bet the flop 1/2 then jam turn. That being said your opponent very likely is stronger than you on that flop.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My question is a little off topic here, how did you end up have position with this hand?

I was really thinking to pm you to answer to my thread:D:D:D

The hand is hypothetical. My real hand was Q10s and I was flat calling a utg raise from an opponent that I could outplay for various reasons. But the 10 in my hand makes decision different than my example and less complicated.

I have been a lot of times in such situations, the flop is very draw heavy and good for opponent range but I have flopped top pair good kicker, have a read that I am ahead but have no idea of how to proceed. I usually bet the pot or half the pot, but getting called means bad news cause most turn cards are often scare cards, turn action becomes even more complicated and I have somewhat become pot commited.

I was wondering whats the standard move a tag would make in my example. Is playing small ball, checking to see the turn card and if not scary only then bet good? Is shoving on the flop with the intention to take the pot down a standard move? And if the best option is to make a flop bet, how much should the bet be when I am not in the best shape in blinds?

Last edited:
akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I was really thinking to pm you to answer to my thread:D:D:D

The hand is hypothetical. My real hand was Q10s and I was flat calling a utg raise from an opponent that I could outplay for various reasons. But the 10 in my hand makes decision different than my example and less complicated.

I have been a lot of times in such situations, the flop is very draw heavy and good for opponent range but I have flopped top pair good kicker, have a read that I am ahead but have no idea of how to proceed. I usually bet the pot or half the pot, but getting called means bad news cause most turn cards are often scare cards, turn action becomes even more complicated and I have somewhat become pot commited.

I was wondering whats the standard move a tag would make in my example. Is playing small ball, checking to see the turn card and if not scary only then bet good? Is shoving on the flop with the intention to take the pot down a standard move? And if the best option is to make a flop bet, how much should the bet be when I am not in the best shape in blinds?

I found your thread because I have also asked Ryan a couple of questions so I am a subscriber too.

Given the stack sizes you never flat something so marginal after an UTG open raise because there are many opponents yet to act and they can wake up with a hand they can easily squeeze/shove with. Sometimes I flat those hands like QT, I prefer QTs for some obvious reasons , because they are highly disguised post flop or something like AXs but near the BTN.

I feel that this board hits more often your opponent's range than yours plus the other days I was watching a bencb video with Lex Veldhuis , (I don't know if it is applicable for FRC but still it is a piece of information) with stacks like ~20bbs with marginal hands and draw heavy it is preferable to check back something like that and play small ball.Simply because a check jam is very likely by your opponent,I personally struggle with those situations too :p .

I would suggest you to keep it simple , if you have a shovable stack and you have a big stack bully your blinds in LP fight back with any AX and many KT+ and 55+ .

The other day you saw a no brainer punt by me with the A8s we were at the same table. My opponent 3bet me with the top of his range(QQ-UTG+1) after my wide open raise UTG but he did build up the dynamic brilliantly! Long story short keep things simple.

I anticipate Ryan's response as well in order to improve those spots too. :bike:

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am from the "pay to see a card " club so if he is on a draw and i feel i am ahead, i am going to either going to bet the pot, pot commit him with a Jam (depending on stage of tourney as well).
Either way, considering position, top pair, if he wants to bet his tournament life on a open ended draw or flush draw, i will force him to make that call or fold, I dont like the Q5 hand but im presenting this from an angle where i have a read on him as per your post.

Good Post!

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I certainly cannot agree with the posts recommending aggression in this situation. Your hand is marginal at best. There are just too many good hands in the other guys range that play well here on the flop. Really, what can you hope to pick up on the turn or river? Improving to a set is too remote to consider so , at best you could hit a 5. Meanwhile your opponent is very likely to check call the turn and, if the draw card comes you're most likely facing a check raise and you will have little choice but to fold.

This is a hand that requires caution....a 2 or 2.5 BB bet is all I would consider. Remember the first letter in TAG is tight :)

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cant know they are on a draw here, that being said we likely have the best hand, want to get value, and protect from draws.

Bet like 350, call the jam.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would then have played a check-count, if so I am sure that the opponent is behind it all-in

m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Theoretically you need to bet enough that he's not getting the correct pot odds for his draw. Anything above one third of the current pot achieves this (assuming he'll only beat you if he hits his flush and all flushes will beat you, giving him 9 outs). However I would suggest anywhere from two thirds to the size of the pot depending on the exact spot, because of the implied odds he's getting and the fact the pot is currently one third the size of your stack so I wouldn't be at all annoyed to take it down there with just a pair of Queens.
Look up pot odds/draw odds if you want a more full explanation of the mathematical theory.

I agree in parts with what I said. And I would play it that way, too.

But other times I would apply Check fold with top pair on a possible turn with flushdraw or sequences.

So I will have top pair low licker, following with some checks behind and folds.