What changes

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so when I play 45 or 90 player tournaments I regularly get to the last few people if not the win
When I play big tournaments (over 1000-2000) I hold my own until down to the last couple of hundred people but never beyond

What am I doing so differently?

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Math wise, I dont see a difference.

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Math wise, I dont see a difference.
But something must change as I’m still well in the game in the big tournaments, I just don’t understand why I struggle to get from there to say the last table

nba2009

nba2009

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
good night friend it may be that the level always changes in tournaments with more people you will find a higher level of play

W

wizz99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just more people to beat. To win a MTT you have to have quite a bit of luck on your side too are. Keep trying the results will come in the MTTs.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
What am I doing so differently?

The answer might be that you are not doing anything differently, and that is the problem.

To make it in the money in 45 seat game you only need to double your starting stack a handful of times. After that you can play it safer if that is what you choose to do.

In a bigger tournament you actually need a lot more chips to make it in the money. Winning a handful of flips is not enough.

For example: if in 45 seat game the starting stack is 5000, there are 225 000 chips in play. Gaining 25 000 chips during the game already gives you over 10% of all chips.

In 2000 seat game 25 000 chips out of 10 million chips woud be a lot less and not enough to make ITM.

Last edited:
Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're doing everything right.
The more players in the tournament, the more difficult it is to get to the final table, you need to win a lot more coins, a lot more times you need to resist so that you do not get run over with some garbage hand.
For example, in a tournament for 90 players, you need to resist 20 times, and in a tournament for 1000 players, you need to resist 100 times, the chances of losing in a large tournament increase by 5 times

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The answer might be that you are not doing anything differently, and that is the problem.

To make it in the money in 45 seat game you only need to double your starting stack a handful of times. After that you can play it safer if that is what you choose to do.

In a bigger tournament you actually need a lot more chips to make it in the money. Winning a handful of flips is not enough.

For example: if in 45 seat game the starting stack is 5000, there are 225 000 chips in play. Gaining 25 000 chips during the game already gives you over 10% of all chips.

In 2000 seat game 25 000 chips out of 10 million chips woud be a lot less and not enough to make ITM.

This is it pretty much.

I could play pretty tight and wait for more hands and play fewer big pots. In the meantime, players are busting out moving me closer to the money.

In a larger field I would have to do this more times and you just didn't get enough premium hands for this to be effective. You may do well, even go deep and cash, but will suffocate soon after.

The solution is build another dynamic to your game. Become more aggressive with a wider range. Challenge the blinds more often, 3 bet a lot more, bluff more. C-bet more.