What is the best strategy for playing from the small blind against a raise from the button player?

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm basically looking to call with an ace in my hand at least, or a 77+. I know I'm conservative ^^

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Depends on my stack size.

With the hands you mentioned, I'm 3-bet jamming anything below 15 BBs for sure. Also doing the same with 25 BBs or less but tightening up the ranges a little, not doing it with an unsuited rag ace for example.

Problem with calling only is that there's still a player left behind to act and also you have the worst position post flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With deep stacks (100 BB) GTO wizard does pretty much equal amounts of calling and 3-betting SB vs. BTN against a 2,3BB open in an MTT. Around 16% of hands are 3-bet and 15% are called. The strongest hands in the range are always 3-bet, the weakest are always called and those in between are mixed up. For instance 22-55 are always called, JJ-AA are always 3-bet, and 66-TT are mixed up. Somewhat surpricing to me K2s is also a call presumably due to pot odds with the dead ante and sometimes a dead BB.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm basically looking to call with an ace in my hand at least, or a 77+. I know I'm conservative ^^
a free version of GTO Wizard will really help you study a preflop spot like that at many different stack depths- the free version lets you see as many preflop spot as you want everyday and one free post flop spot every day.

:unsure::geek:

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes agreed! GTO wizard is great, but just keep in mind the free version doesn't factor in ICM so it might be different in a tourney if you are approaching the money or ITM.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small Blind is a position where 3Bet or fold strategy works best. 3 bet with 10 - 12% of your range against Button raise.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aggression is always good but you need to pick the most opportune spots. Maximize quality hands against an aggressive button by being even more aggressive back. Sometimes you need to show them you simply will not be folding the blinds to them easily and every raise.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
3 bet is the best way if you have a good hand or the middle one will always be better than just a call, but if your hand is weak or slightly worse than the middle hand, then just call there further it all depends on the flop