61a2116ccb272f8cc97446d1a7f1feac.png

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless this was right on the bubble, this was not a good fold in my opinion. Instead you should have gone all in, when the action first got to you, and even as played you should still go all in, when the action got back to you, and play a 3-way all in pre with a sizeable sidepot.

Sure you would have lost most of your chips, but this is one of the difficult things about poker. Sometimes we get rewarded for making the wrong decision, which might then reinforce our belief, we played well, when in fact we did not.

And this fold is simply to nitty with 20 BB effective stacks. If you play like this, you will get blinded away, and you will have great difficulties winning tournaments or even making those deep runs, that really pay.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nice views! I did that because I did really read a strong range on that utg. just confirmed with his second call. I'm used to do long runs on that tourney. So I thought to be unecessary to risk my surviving against a range that in best situation I have 50%, in a moment that when I win I get some chips but that doesnt throw me to FT or to the heads up. I could explore the fact of being a "$0 loss" tournament and play ever agressively, but I think I had a lot of better situations to get chips.
Unless this was right on the bubble, this was not a good fold in my opinion. Instead you should have gone all in, when the action first got to you, and even as played you should still go all in, when the action got back to you, and play a 3-way all in pre with a sizeable sidepot.

Sure you would have lost most of your chips, but this is one of the difficult things about poker. Sometimes we get rewarded for making the wrong decision, which might then reinforce our belief, we played well, when in fact we did not.

And this fold is simply to nitty with 20 BB effective stacks. If you play like this, you will get blinded away, and you will have great difficulties winning tournaments or even making those deep runs, that really pay.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first saw the video, I questioned your decision to smooth-call the raise as (1) you'd probably want to make it more expensive for others to see the flop and (2) it would not have given you any information on the strength of the UTG hand. I don't know if I would have 3b all-in, but it would have probably been a pot-sized bet or something like that. If you did that, then the SB would have likely folded, and a good player UTG would have probably called (and gotten the situation he wants with pocket AA preflop). Likelihood is that you would have gotten most or all of your chips in there and lost... but it would have been "the right play" that ended up losing you most of your chips.

Given that you did smooth-call and the UTG called the all-in raise, I don't know if you had enough information to read that UTG had AA and in turn, lay down AK and call it a good read. Based on the action, there is nothing to indicate that anyone there had anything stronger than your AK pre-flop unless you somehow knew that UTG was super nitty and would only raise with pocket rockets (which is hard to do unless you've played against UTG a lot in prior tournaments and had a solid read on his playstyle). If anything, you were probably lucky that you didn't lose most of your chips in that hand... but I don't know if it's something I'd call an innate ability to read what your opponent had based on the action of the table.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I had not a long tournament history against that player, but a player that stay folding too many orbits and act mini-raising and call to play a big pot OOP must not to have a little gun. I am very proud my actions and sure I was right most of times.

When I first saw the video, I questioned your decision to smooth-call the raise as (1) you'd probably want to make it more expensive for others to see the flop and (2) it would not have given you any information on the strength of the UTG hand. I don't know if I would have 3b all-in, but it would have probably been a pot-sized bet or something like that. If you did that, then the SB would have likely folded, and a good player UTG would have probably called (and gotten the situation he wants with pocket AA preflop). Likelihood is that you would have gotten most or all of your chips in there and lost... but it would have been "the right play" that ended up losing you most of your chips.

Given that you did smooth-call and the UTG called the all-in raise, I don't know if you had enough information to read that UTG had AA and in turn, lay down AK and call it a good read. Based on the action, there is nothing to indicate that anyone there had anything stronger than your AK pre-flop unless you somehow knew that UTG was super nitty and would only raise with pocket rockets (which is hard to do unless you've played against UTG a lot in prior tournaments and had a solid read on his playstyle). If anything, you were probably lucky that you didn't lose most of your chips in that hand... but I don't know if it's something I'd call an innate ability to read what your opponent had based on the action of the table.

C

ChicoRSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it obvious for u? at least a top pair?

U played well... but u don`t fold a amazing hands....

This is really crazy:

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand plays out so weird...no way i am ever smooth calling AK from late position like that - its a top 3 hand and I am looking to get max value from it. This should be a huge red flag for the SB with his KQs to see an UTG open and 3bet from late...even as short as they were I would likely fold my KQs and find a better jam spot...that being said - aces played this hand really well because they wanted a hand like yours to jam over the top and to be honest...I probably would have if I were you. Its hard to avoid spots like this in tournaments but remember you hold blockers to AA and KK and sometimes your UTG raiser is going to show up with JJ or QQ more often than AA or KK...if nothing else I smooth call the all in - go three ways to flop and fold if UTG bets. All in all though if you are happy with your play - good for you, you saved some chips by making a pretty nitty fold.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What hand to call?

I had not a long tournament history against that player, but a player that stay folding too many orbits and act mini-raising and call to play a big pot OOP must not to have a little gun. I am very proud my actions and sure I was right most of times.
What hand did you need to make the call in that spot?

This may have been the correct call - this one time, but most of the time is incorrect and is exploitable.

Next time you may see pocket 9s or Js from UTG and A/K come out on the board, instead of placing 1st or 2nd it will be a min-cash.

Though I can agree with your decision - if you had a tight read on UTG player.

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand plays out so weird...no way i am ever smooth calling AK from late position like that - its a top 3 hand and I am looking to get max value from it.

You need to have AK in your flatting range to avoid being predictable (balancing). Also, if you raise UTG you'll make AT+KJ+ fold, exactly the hands you want to be playing against in position.

So yes, 80% 3bet, but flatting occasionally is fine.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very difficult to make this move ....
very hard drop

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played this really well. From someone who has been playing a long time, AK is over-rated. Like you said you were looking at 50/50 at best, and when it comes down to it, waiting for QQ+ will give you that little extra edge, which ends up equaling a lot of profit in the long run, like having an extra dollar in an hourly wage.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was more of a lucky guess than a good read if you have no history with UTG.

the Play Overall was terrible. why flat call in Position with AK instead of 3bet? why fold to a 7bb jam and 1 caller? you Need 22% equity to call the 710 to win 3180.
In a freeroll People do really crazy stuff. with the Action given, UTG range is so much wider than AA.
totally agree if you. if People can't realise how bad this fold was, they won't be able to take Deep runs regulary

Nice views! I did that because I did really read a strong range on that utg. just confirmed with his second call. I'm used to do long runs on that tourney. So I thought to be unecessary to risk my surviving against a range that in best situation I have 50%, in a moment that when I win I get some chips but that doesnt throw me to FT or to the heads up. I could explore the fact of being a "$0 loss" tournament and play ever agressively, but I think I had a lot of better situations to get chips.
a strong range doesn't mean AA only. you can't read AA only on UTG minraise vs an unknown Player. if so, why even call the minraise and not just fold preflop?
you get the Right pot odds so it's a MUST CALL 100% of the time you Play this Hand. if you think About having 50% and only Need 22% to call, you should see how bad the fold was.

it was a nitty fold, Nothing to be proud of. I don't want to offend you, I just want to make clear that it was not a good fold. most People will agree to this
You need to have AK in your flatting range to avoid being predictable (balancing). Also, if you raise UTG you'll make AT+KJ+ fold, exactly the hands you want to be playing against in position.

So yes, 80% 3bet, but flatting occasionally is fine.
balancing AK in a 100$ freeroll? in a 1k starting field you should have hardly anyone who played more than 1.000 Hands with you, therefor he has no idea About your betting Patterns. balancing AK seems to be out of line here
you should not be overthinking freerolls or microstakes
I think you played this really well. From someone who has been playing a long time, AK is over-rated. Like you said you were looking at 50/50 at best, and when it comes down to it, waiting for QQ+ will give you that little extra edge, which ends up equaling a lot of profit in the long run, like having an extra dollar in an hourly wage.
vs QQ+ you Need 31% equity, so in the Long run you lose Money with those folds

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Do all of you tried to think in my cards against his range? Do all of you play cards or people? Because that I hate all those spreadsheets with ranges, they limit your thoughts, they are for really beginners.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do all of you tried to think in my cards against his range? Do all of you play cards or people? Because that I hate all those spreadsheets with ranges, they limit your thoughts, they are for really beginners.

well the problem is that you can't 'play people' because with hundredthousands of people playing poker online, you barely get to see the same people very often. therefor you have no idea how they play.
If you don't know how they play, you need something that fits overall for everyone as good as possible.
that is why people play ranges, learn push/fold charts and so on.

they are hard to learn for beginners, but important for everyone. amateurs, semi pros, pros,.....
they are not limiting your thoughts, they should just get your thoughts in the right direction. it's not like you make a mistake whenever you play something that doesn't get along with those charts.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
well the problem is that you can't 'play people' because with hundredthousands of people playing poker online, you barely get to see the same people very often. therefor you have no idea how they play.
If you don't know how they play, you need something that fits overall for everyone as good as possible.
that is why people play ranges, learn push/fold charts and so on.

they are hard to learn for beginners, but important for everyone. amateurs, semi pros, pros,.....
they are not limiting your thoughts, they should just get your thoughts in the right direction. it's not like you make a mistake whenever you play something that doesn't get along with those charts.
In my opinion, it's impossible I had made a mistake folding AK preflop, I would never fold that if I'm not sure about my reading, but a lot of you actually doesnt believe that I had done that reading, ok I dont play for aprovement. The question is: Do I ever fold AK preflop and never jam it? So I am standing to play just with aces... Of course not! I think a lot of players commit his stacks with no too much effort because is a freeroll, but I consider freerolls a great learning source so I play them like I would play a main event of a wsop. I would ever fold it excepting if I was sure about that. I would eventually lose some hands but what is important is that I could to be right most of times as some times I will to be wrong in a lot of other spots. By the same hand a lot of people here on forum can tell you about my heroe calls, I am wrong too? Maybe, but to me each hand have to be played not just by my hole cards but by the specific scenario too.

Last edited:
B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, it's impossible I had made a mistake folding AK preflop, I would never fold that if I'm not sure about my reading, but a lot of you actually doesnt believe that I had done that reading, ok I dont play for aprovement. The question is: Do I ever fold AK preflop and never jam it? So I am standing to play just with aces... Of course not! I think a lot of players commit his stacks with no too much effort because is a freeroll, but I consider freerolls a great learning source so I play them like I would play a main event of a WSOP. I would ever fold it excepting if I was sure about that. I would eventually lose some hands but what is important is that I could to be right most of times as some times I will to be wrong in a lot of other spots. By the same hand a lot of people here on forum can tell you about my heroe calls, I am wrong too? Maybe, but to me each hand have to be played not just by my hole cards but by the specific scenario too.

People make sick folds all the time. Maybe you were trying to hide your strength for a bigger payout. Maybe you had a good enough read on the guy or maybe you just got lucky?

All doesn't matter because its in the past and you have to live with the results. Poker is more than mathematical decisions or every math geek would be pros.

This forum is a good place to get beginners started but face it most on here don't have the skills to call themselves pros. Well beyond mentally believing they are. This hand worked out for you and im glad you shared.

One question, what place did you finish? Keep fighting and see ya at the tables.:fight:

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It was awesome) You are not psychic by accident)))