Weird Situation with AK

L

Larmuar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I flatcalled the 3bet with AK, because I didnt wanted to 4bet - stack it off for 60bb. Is this too nitty or somehow a reasonable thought? After that, the postflopplay got somewhat awkward, i found myself bluffing the turn, dont even know why. Would you recommend betting the turn or is it too unlikely the opponent would fold (thinking of his range that hits this board very well)? Or maybe play the Hand completely different? (if not the classical 4bet & call5bet pre) Ty for your thoughts!

888 Poker - 350/700 Ante 85 NL - Holdem - 9 players

SB: 20.87 BB (VPIP: 42.20, PFR: 18.52, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, hands: 110)
BB: 47.97 BB (VPIP: 22.97, PFR: 14.08, 3Bet Preflop: 7.41, Hands: 75)
Hero (UTG): 59.41 BB
UTG+1: 48.38 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
MP: 12.94 BB (VPIP: 15.60, PFR: 12.04, 3Bet Preflop: 6.90, Hands: 109)
MP+1: 30.66 BB (VPIP: 24.20, PFR: 19.26, 3Bet Preflop: 5.62, Hands: 282)
MP+2: 42.51 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
CO: 22.08 BB (VPIP: 18.87, PFR: 14.85, 3Bet Preflop: 10.64, Hands: 106)
BTN: 22.34 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 10.23, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 90)

9 players post ante of 0.12 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.59 BB) Hero has A:diamond: K:heart:

Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold, MP+2 raises to 5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 3 BB

Flop: (12.59 BB, 2 players) Q:heart: J:heart: 9:club:
Hero checks, MP+2 checks

Turn: (12.59 BB, 2 players) 8:diamond:
Hero bets 6.3 BB, fold

Hero wins 12.59 BB

P

Principg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with your 3-bet call, also wouldn't 4-bet there.
After flop, check is fine, board is just...huh..but also he checks, so i like your bet on turn..
As played, i would do the same - pre flop, post flop, and on turn.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played well, it was good only did call, your 3bet to control the pot, the flop was good for you, and bet on the turn was very good.

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have already faced a strange situation some time ago with AK (suited) where I had the 3rd largest stack in the table and a player with the largest stack and close to the bubble was playing very loose was in the BB (and that never liked someone trying to steal his blind) and I was in the cut-off and I made a raise of 3X after all hands fold and then the BB shoved with AK too but not suited...

So there was a great chance for split pot despite I had AK suited of spades and he with AK of diamonds and hearts so despite a potencial draw but I still had a small advantage however 4 cards were from hearts (of his K) and none of spades from my AK and then I was eliminated from this MTT very close to the ITM and with a hand that had 85% of chances of draw and with 10% of chances that I could make a flush against the vilain with 5% of chances of making a flush.... Bizarre...

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I flatcalled the 3bet with AK, because I didnt wanted to 4bet - stack it off for 60bb. Is this too nitty or somehow a reasonable thought? After that, the postflopplay got somewhat awkward, i found myself bluffing the turn, dont even know why. Would you recommend betting the turn or is it too unlikely the opponent would fold (thinking of his range that hits this board very well)? Or maybe play the Hand completely different? (if not the classical 4bet & call5bet pre) Ty for your thoughts!

Hero wins 12.59 BB

You play the hand just fine, not overcomitting yourself, and disguise the real strength
of your wholecards.

Checking back flop to initial raiser is also by the book.

Now i tell you why you bluff the turn like you did :D

You only called the 3 bet beacuse you didnt want to flip AK against a potential very strong
hand,
you checked the flop to see what his action would be... he checked.
And when he checked he told you that he was not happy with this flop.
You now used the scary 8 on turn, that complete a 1 card str8 to wipe him out.

GUT INSTINCT made you bluff this turn :cool::cool:

Well played!

I have already faced a strange situation some time ago with AK (suited) where I had the 3rd largest stack in the table and a player with the largest stack and close to the bubble was playing very loose was in the BB (and that never liked someone trying to steal his blind) and I was in the cut-off and I made a raise of 3X after all hands fold and then the BB shoved with AK too but not suited...

So there was a great chance for split pot despite I had AK suited of spades and he with AK of diamonds and hearts so despite a potencial draw but I still had a small advantage however 4 cards were from hearts (of his K) and none of spades from my AK and then I was eliminated from this MTT very close to the ITM and with a hand that had 85% of chances of draw and with 10% of chances that I could make a flush against the vilain with 5% of chances of making a flush.... Bizarre...

Tried the same thing more than once :eek:
With AK, AA, and KK and 99, but have also been on the other side where i was the one
who hit the flush. Thats just variance - gotta hate loosing like that ;)

Last edited:
L

Larmuar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you a lot guys! Its very helpful to hear some insights from other players and thank you @Minus272c to explain to me WHY i bet the turn :). Sometimes its very intelligent to formulate what stands behind those "Guts".

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop: way too small of a raise, UTG should never ever bet only 2BB unless its short handed where the blinds are very high. Your bet invites a family pot that you dont want with a hand as strong as AK.
Calling a re-raise ore was fine.

Flop: what would you do if you had AT, QT, JT? What would you do if you had FD, TPTK?
That is pretty much your range along with some smaller pocket pairs with that preflop action.
Now when you check the flop, you are down to AK and smaller pocket pairs, maybe AJ, sometimes KJs.

Turn: that 8 never hits your range! You have to understand that, because good players will pick on that and re-raise you with any 2 cards. This time you were lucky to be agains pocket 5s or 6s where opponent had to fold. If you wanted to take the pot, lead the flop, try to sell the story about your range, and evaluate the turn (in case you lead the flop, and got called, then that 8 really hits your range hard, and it makes a lot of sense to bet turn again)

L

Larmuar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@Bozovicdj, tanks a lot!
some questions occur:

1. How much would you raise pre? (I've heard somethink like 2.5x early, 2.25x mid and 2x late, would u recommend that?)

2. What do you do if you c-bet the flop and villain raises?

3. Won't you check-back ever a SD there? I was thinking this behaviour was quite possible, to avoid getting checkraised on flop with SD. Maybe I'am thinking completely wrong here...

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Utg vs Mp2 peeling pre is fine, but our opponent only has 42bb, so jamming or 4b here would be perfectly ok.

I like the turn bet.