Waiting for a good hand

nachopaulo

nachopaulo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Being at the same table with beginner players is very complicated, especially when there are several, as they pay with any card in their hands, and when the number of beginners is large, they come one after the other, if one doesn't pay another one pays, then their chances of winning the hand reduces a lot, as it won't always hit the card you need, but the chances of hitting one of the players that goes with any card are great. And waiting until a good hand comes out can cost you a lot of chips and ruin your tournament.

Does anyone know a way to get around this?

Markjduk

Markjduk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Most people love a table full of beginners. Play premium hands with position on your side and you will come out on top.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You rarely see newbies at the table these days.But if they come across to me, it’s not difficult for me to pick up all their chips:)

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Without beginners anywhere, inoculate.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
playing against new players can have benefits such as taking advantage of your experience to intimidate those players, but it can also have negative things since many times these players pay with all the cards that come to them and that's when the tragedies happen

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You would think new players would have a clue on how to play poker. It amazes me sometimes when I run across one because of the cards they play. But I am thankful for any chips I get. It's not supposed to be that easy and also dosen't happen that often.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
What kind of tournaments or games are you talking about? To think that they are beginners just because they pay with any card is childish.
If you're referring to CC freerolls, what do you expect to happen? It is a free entry game without the slightest risk for those who play it, it is obvious that there are players who go all in in each hand with any type of card.
if you talk about tournaments, you have to take into account your financial situation, so if you play games with an entry cost, here you play against people who have a lot of money in their bankroll, and what you think is the game of your life, for them doesn't mean anything to lose, for example: I've recently played $11 entry tournaments and I've seen what same as you propose in this thread, players who pay your bet with absolutely nothing and who end up winning you.
I have no experience with live tournaments if you're referring to them.
I think the only way to avoid this is to play your strong hands with absolute confidence, observe the table, how is the variance, etc., in the long run you end up winning more than them.
Regards

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It seems to me that it is more difficult to see in a tournament (especially in a freeroll) a player who is a beginner or has some experience in the game and knows the strategy than in cash games. There immediately player-fish can be seen. But in tournaments, it only matters with which hand and at what stage of the tournament to enter the game.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Why to go around this? Why not to try to take advantage of this situation? Just play your game and you will meet with some of them and the chips will come in your stack!

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Make larger raises pre flop with your strong hands, it's easier to navigate post flop scenarios in heads up pots. In three way pots post flop against two opponents, who have some of that flop, It's like playing against a two headed beast with a combined Omaha hand, naturally, your hand is extremely vulnerable. The upside of waiting for strong hands is you stay out of trouble.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Being at the same table with beginner players is very complicated, especially when there are several, since they call with any card in hand, and when the number of beginners is large, they come one after the other, if one does not call another pays, then your chances of winning the hand decrease a lot, since it will not always hit the card you need, but chances of hitting one of the players that go with any card are great. And waiting until a good hand comes out can cost you a lot of chips and ruin your tournament.

Does anyone know a way around this?
We Have to Train Our Card Range a Lot

C

Chromosomka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
it can also have negative things since many times these players pay with all the cards that come to them and that's when the tragedies happen

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often adjust my opening range based on the opponents. If they don't play too aggressively, I can confidently open with a bit wider range. Maybe we will lose some hands but with a better range we will often beat them in the long run.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all its important to understand, that a loose game is potentially way more profitable than a tight game. The reason, why it often frustrates people, is that they are not prepared to make the nessesary adjustments. In a tight game we can win many small pots without showdown by raising preflop and C-betting the flop, if we get action. This is very easy, and when such a strategy fail to work, some players feel a bit lost and dont know, what to do.

But the answer is actually very simple. If aggression does not do, what its supposed to do (make people fold), then we should probably take a passive or neutral action instead. If 4 people have limped, and we look down at 77 in BB, we should just take a free flop and try to flop a set rather than make a big raise, get called by everybody, and now we are out of position in a bloated pot with a hand, that hate most boards, unless we flop a set. Or if we have raised AK preflop and gotten called by 4 other players, and we miss the flop, we should check and hope to get a free card. And if someone makes a substantial bet, then we just give up and fold.

In loose games we depend more on winning at showdown, and this also require us to play the late streets more often. But the upside is, that when we win, its often a much larger pot. And yes this require patience, and it require hitting boards. Flopping that set or completing that flush on the river. And this is where a lot of people face problems, because they dont have that patience. They have also been told, that "good poker is aggressive poker", and they cant move past this simplified way of looking at the game.

In loose games we should also look to stack off wider preflop. Maybe if we are only 25BB effective with that 77 in BB, and 4 players have limped, then we just jam, and then that will actually get everyone to fold. Or maybe one player call, and then we just play a "flip" against, whatever he limped and then called us off with. Or we participate in a 3-way all-in preflop with AQo, because we are ahead of their ranges. And yes most of the time we will lose that, but when we win, we tripple our stack, and we are in great shape to run deep in the tournament. But this is also something, a lot of people hate, because they think, moving all-in preflop is just "gambling", and they hate variance and early bustouts.

VikK030p13

VikK030p13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It was very useful for me as a beginner to hear this. Thank you all.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
when you say "it cost a lot of chips", I fully agree if you're playing a turbo tournament. But in a regular structure, you will receive your good cards before to lose a lot of chips.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Being at the same table with beginner players is very complicated, especially when there are several, as they pay with any card in their hands, and when the number of beginners is large, they come one after the other, if one doesn't pay another one pays, then their chances of winning the hand reduces a lot, as it won't always hit the card you need, but the chances of hitting one of the players that goes with any card are great. And waiting until a good hand comes out can cost you a lot of chips and ruin your tournament.

Does anyone know a way to get around this?
Hello
Unfortunately, even beginners sometimes get us out of tournaments, despite our growing caution.
Yes, what should be done in such a situation is not to consider these newbies stupid, rather they should be treated as normal like other players, rather they should be used to win chips;)

RafaCastelo

RafaCastelo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
i usually open up youtube in this situations....watching science documentaries helps me to keep it cool .... 🧊🧊🧊

slevinzed

slevinzed

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once u recognize the newbies then u have to play more aggressive than usual

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands