Variance in freerolls

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played and beat the freerolls many times but i admit in the beginning, even with good fundamentals in the game, the Dang variance is so high! Im am posting this to help encourage and inform i hope. Players who think the game is rigged or what ever reason you believe you take bad beats i have to say this. The games are not rigged at the lower levels. Remember you are not gonna win everytime with the best hand preflop all in. Try to look at your game and truely analyze it. Being good at poker means more than just easy money calls and blind aggression. There is a balance to the monster we know as poker. Usually overplaying while on tilt is the main reason i see players going off. Remember poker can be beat OVER TIME!!!! so learn how to play post flop and dont forget no one is entitled to anything in poker as in life. Its not hard these days to become a great player with all the coaches and other outlets. Uncertainty, Variance, and murphys law are real things lol. I love Art of War personally for every poker player and basic statistics are my recommendations for beginnes. Trust me the higher the limits get the harder it gets not easier like i hear many players complain. If you cant beat the lowest levels dont think jumping up in stakes is gonna fix it. Cant stress enough poker is beatable OVER TIME!!! good luck i hope it helps anyone who is stuck in bad beat perg or is tilt shoving to often. Take a Deep Breath let the adrenaline fade away and then use logic and your knowledge. Trust in yourself. Keep Stacking and Have Fun!

P

pipayura

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It feels like Murphy's Law is haunting me. I have never won freerolls. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't. But I won't give up.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Winning any tournament is never easy and variance can be a long tough road to beat at time. It's never going to be easy but if you're a solid player over time you can win and should be ahead of the game. AT least you don't lose money on free rolls.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always manage to grab prizes in freerolls. After all, freerolls are the best opportunity for bankroll promotion.

E

El_Matt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always manage to grab prizes in freerolls.
Always? You have to share your secret with us ;)

After all, freerolls are the best opportunity for bankroll promotion.
I heavily doubt this. If you just compare the $/h that you "earn" by playing freerolls to the $/h you can earn at almost any job, it becomes obvious that working in real life and then making a desposit is way better to boost your bankroll.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The variance in freeroll tournaments is much bigger in my opinion because the players are lighter so there is a lot of flapping in such tournaments, but the good thing about freeroll tournaments is that you can only win with them since the game is idle.
Of course, the Cardschat silver and platinum freeroll tournaments are exceptions because it's a quality game because everyone takes it seriously and most of them play well, so you can learn a lot and build your bankroll.

H

Haikala2011

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for encouragement!

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, there are two primary factors that contribute to high variance poker:

1. calling stations: players that won't fold, will get us to a lot of rivers where variance can take its toll.
  2. uber-aggressive games (all-ins and lots of raises and re-raises): big pot poker leads to variance because a single big mistake can decimate our stack and make the rest of the tournament a crap shoot.
Both of these may be evident in the early stages of freerolls, where there are a lot of all-ins and a lot of calling. As the freeroll moves along, many of these players will run out of chips and the game may settle down, or it may not. So if you like the risk free element of the freerolls, play more cautiously early and ensure you have some chips to play poker later.

Just one opinion.

Good luck and God bless.

R

ruco72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played and beat the freerolls many times but i admit in the beginning, even with good fundamentals in the game, the Dang variance is so high! Im am posting this to help encourage and inform i hope. Players who think the game is rigged or what ever reason you believe you take bad beats i have to say this. The games are not rigged at the lower levels. Remember you are not gonna win everytime with the best hand preflop all in. Try to look at your game and truely analyze it. Being good at poker means more than just easy money calls and blind aggression. There is a balance to the monster we know as poker. Usually overplaying while on tilt is the main reason i see players going off. Remember poker can be beat OVER TIME!!!! so learn how to play post flop and dont forget no one is entitled to anything in poker as in life. Its not hard these days to become a great player with all the coaches and other outlets. Uncertainty, Variance, and murphys law are real things lol. I love Art of War personally for every poker player and basic statistics are my recommendations for beginnes. Trust me the higher the limits get the harder it gets not easier like i hear many players complain. If you cant beat the lowest levels dont think jumping up in stakes is gonna fix it. Cant stress enough poker is beatable OVER TIME!!! good luck i hope it helps anyone who is stuck in bad beat perg or is tilt shoving to often. Take a Deep Breath let the adrenaline fade away and then use logic and your knowledge. Trust in yourself. Keep Stacking and Have Fun!

This is great advice. Thank you for sharing!
One of the hardest parts: "let the adrenaline fade away" :D

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stronger hand cards are not a guarantee of victory in the hand. Statistically, AKo loses every third hand against the worst hand cards - 27o, and we have seen similar hands many times every day. Such things hurt if the stakes are high, but you don't need to pay much attention to them on freerolls and think that they are rigged, luck turns, maybe luck will reward us next time. Let's enjoy the game.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are the biggest spot where you may experience variance but must also learn not to be frustrated by it. Freerolls typically have very big fields and since nothing is on the line, play can be erratic and unpredictable. If you experience a bad beat or lose to some inexplainable play, just chalk it up to it being a freeroll and move onto the next one.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For some reason, many players who are just starting to play poker think that poker is easy to earn but they should know that making money in poker is long and hard work !!!

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But it's much better to look at variance from a different angle - as a factor that keeps the game intriguing and makes it interesting for everyone who plays it. If weak players didn't have a chance to win in the short term, they probably wouldn't play poker at all (at least not for the vast majority of recreational players). Therefore, as strange as it may sound, poker variance is a good thing. It is because of it that (weak) players return to the tables again and again, despite the fact that in the long run they play in the red.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The variance in poker is the difference between the mathematically expected payout and the real one over the course of the game.In other words,we can say that all the ups and downs are the variance in poker. The elements of luck in poker is the cause of the variance.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think, it makes sense to talk about variance in freerolls, since you have nothing at risk other than your time. If people go on tilt, because they suffer some bad beats in freerolls, then they almost certainly dont have, what it takes to become a long term winning player in normal paid games ;)

b0bo

b0bo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think, it makes sense to talk about variance in freerolls, since you have nothing at risk other than your time. If people go on tilt, because they suffer some bad beats in freerolls, then they almost certainly dont have, what it takes to become a long term winning player in normal paid games ;)
Now this is something that I needed to read, and digest. Thank you for that perspective.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracski220

Variance in freerolls can drive you crazy. I have won quite a few. However you never know when someone is going to call your AA all in with 72 off, and river a set of deuces. runner runner inside straights. making a runner runner flush with 4 2 off and hitting it with the deuce.

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of Course There Is More Variance In FreeRolls...

Vicki shows up more often, because no matter how well you play the hand, villain (aka - Vicki or Vickies) has nothing to risk in a FreeRoll, and they will, on occasion, take your chips!

My thinking is that you just have to understand the game you are playing and bet accordingly... if you get "Vicki" All In on a Two Outer and She Hits... Not Your Problem! Just send her a Break-up letter previously posted by a Great Player and Friend...xCoolHandx, I am pretty sure he will not mind me re-posting his Break-Up letter to Vicki Variance...lol.. Enjoy!

Dear Vicki Variance,

This was a very hard decision to come to, but I have decided that it is time to break up with you and go our separate ways. I would say that it's not you but me...but it really is you. You cause me to act in ways that I wouldn't if you weren't in my life. I yell at the dog, curse God and beat the shit out of my punching bag because of the things you do. Your bewildering actions linger in my thoughts and keep me awake late into the night when I should be resting peacefully.

I feel like you wreak havoc and chaos into my life, a life that was so peaceful before you came along. So, I will not cry or be upset when I see you with others. I will smile and give you a friendly wave and try to remember the few good times that we've had. Like the time my AK flopped a straight against Noona's AA and try to suppress all the bile the mention of your name brings to my throat.

So, be free Vicki Variance, be free to roam the earth and find your soulmate.

Not with Love,

Last edited:
Freeroll Passwords