Using time bank as strategy?

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never thought of that, but i started noticing that when the tournament was getting to the bubble, everyone would wait until the last second to do their action. i think its a good tool.

I

icandonkyou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Time Bank does annoy a lot of people. However, I don't care when they use it. Besides if they use it they lose it for later times anyway.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often see at the tables,that those who have the smallest stack size use this method.
I do not think it is useful, because the blind grows,and they are thrown into a heavier position with time drawing. Of course I do not judge, everyone can use the time available.

I

iceiceice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good tournament player would recognize that it's always beneficial and a winning play to use time bank to play at a slower pace (at least until its hand for hand). Players unaware of ICM will play more hands thus pay more blinds and antes increasing their chances of busting out. Twitch streamers are constantly checking the lobby on the money bubble to ensure they don't commit ICM suicide by busting before someone with a shorter stack does.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good tournament player would recognize that it's always beneficial and a winning play to use time bank to play at a slower pace (at least until its hand for hand). Players unaware of ICM will play more hands thus pay more blinds and antes increasing their chances of busting out. Twitch streamers are constantly checking the lobby on the money bubble to ensure they don't commit ICM suicide by busting before someone with a shorter stack does.

Slowing the pace down is a bad strategy if u have a lot of chips. The best players are very aggressive on bubbles and punish people for nitting

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For years I never did this. However, I finally got tired of it being done at every MTT I wind up in (usually someone or a handful will do it).

Consequently, I have no problem utilizing it as a strategy today. When they eliminate this option fine. But to allow others to do it (because you have no choice), and to not use it yourself, is kind of like not using all the tools at your disposal.

As for etiquette? Etiquette won't get me to the final table. And while I don't believe in being a jerk at the table, the time they give us to act is ours to use as we see fit.

Again I am happy to play a fast paced game but if its, going to make a difference and help me to reach the money, I will utilize it.

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Saving time bank for the bubble is how it's supposed to be used IMO. Pros all do it, and it's definitely a strong weapon that many don't think about.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I use it as a strategy when there is a short time to burst the bubble and I have few chips, I also use it when there is not much left for the final table, I think there are people who use it on other occasions to make an opponent annoying, because there are people who It bothers them when they take time to play

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use that to throw impatient players into a fit where they make irrational decisions. I only do it when they are essentially doing it to themselves.... Asking for it. I also make better decisions if i force myself to take more time.

Also note, there is a limit for a reason. If you cant take the 30 second bank bovada or whoever has you can play elsewhere.

JD
Hey all. Do any of you use your online time bank as strategy to help cash in a MTT? I think it’s a good tool to use if you’re a lower stack and the bubble is coming up. It’s not simply letting it run out, but knowing where the blinds are, when they are going to increase, etc. You can’t wait too long either because then tournament enters hand for hand mode and it’s a moot point.

I think it’s another skill/tool to develop to help get in the money more. If you have a good stack then it doesn’t matter as much.

Thoughts?

L

Lightmeup9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never do i find it quite annoying tbh..

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Use your time bank whenever you need to thats what it is there for,
No point in rushing knocking yourself out then saying I should have thought about that and for what etiquette lol.:hahaha:

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
doing time helps a lot, especially when you have few chips and the bubble is about to burst, I always use the time bank in those situations

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a big fan of the time bank. When people use it just for the sake of not bubbling, that doesn't show a class player. If there's a tough situation to think about what you're going to do, that's another story. Also if you use the time bank. That takes away time from the blind level timer.At any rate I just don't like the time bank.

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a big fan of the time bank. When people use it just for the sake of not bubbling, that doesn't show a class player. If there's a tough situation to think about what you're going to do, that's another story. Also if you use the time bank. That takes away time from the blind level timer.At any rate I just don't like the time bank.

Why do you think being "classy" is worthwhile at the Poker table?
I'm not against that idea outright, but I don't see how that makes sense in Poker. Seems like one more obstacle to winning that you don't need. Unless you're playing with friends, but I rarely do.

Personally, if I were in a competitive game for some serious money (5+ figures), then it's war, baby! :fight:
It would be dishonorable NOT to play with absolute competitive focus and intent. Which includes using any advantage in the rules, like the timebank.

But if I'm at a small table for small stakes, then yeah, I'm not going to sit and wait, twiddling my thumbs. Is that what you mean?

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point

Why do you think being "classy" is worthwhile at the Poker table?
I'm not against that idea outright, but I don't see how that makes sense in Poker. Seems like one more obstacle to winning that you don't need. Unless you're playing with friends, but I rarely do.

Personally, if I were in a competitive game for some serious money (5+ figures), then it's war, baby! :fight:
It would be dishonorable NOT to play with absolute competitive focus and intent. Which includes using any advantage in the rules, like the timebank.

But if I'm at a small table for small stakes, then yeah, I'm not going to sit and wait, twiddling my thumbs. Is that what you mean?

Point well said

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all. Do any of you use your online time bank as strategy to help cash in a MTT? I think it’s a good tool to use if you’re a lower stack and the bubble is coming up. It’s not simply letting it run out, but knowing where the blinds are, when they are going to increase, etc. You can’t wait too long either because then tournament enters hand for hand mode and it’s a moot point.

I think it’s another skill/tool to develop to help get in the money more. If you have a good stack then it doesn’t matter as much.

Thoughts?

The tournament is only in hand-for-hand mode when it hits the money bubble. Once it says that, it runs until all tables are finished then starts again like normal. Thats how it works on 888 anyways.