Using hud in MTT | Is it really fair or worth it?

S

Samplz22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Personally I cant get juice out of using hud in MTT. You see so few hands and I usually feel a bit more lazy to keep eye on the enemy. Really can't get sense from tournament mode and still playing more cash games. Is it proven that some people just is more cabeble of using hud or is just waste of time? Is it easier to beat villains when you just focus on the game with your naked eye?

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HUDs will become very handy if you play many table at onces, it dependes on player, I myself can classify players on my table in 3 tables but when i'm playing more i'll be very confused,
I know people that play on 6 tables with no HUD and they're still ok,
I advice don't get use to HUDs for at least 5K hands and try to make your own decisions and for another 5K use HUD and compare your results

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's worth it. I used HUD when I tried to play serious poker but only on cash games. Tournaments tend to throw you around different tables so often, that HUD won't help that much. It is useful when you play many different tables at once and definitely gives some edge. But if you play just one tournament and you do it for fun and to improve it's better without a HUD, because you naturally pay more attention to your enemies and you learn to read them. Even online people give some tells (like how much time they think about action, how much they rise) and HUD won't show that.

But it's worth to mention that such a tool is really good to analize your own game. Which cards from which positions are your winners and which are losing. You can improve on rethinking how to play losing hands or maybe folding them preflop. This again works better for cash where you play same structure all the time - in tournaments blinds change and so does your situation so the stattistics you gather are less relevant.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always have PT4 running. If nothing else it display stack sizes in BB, which is easier than having to do the calculations manually. And stack sizes is something, you need to look at before anything else in tournament poker. If you play many tournaments, you will also eventually pick up a sample on especially the regulars. And while this is generally less usefull than in cash games, its still usefull.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
man I never used this type of program and always curious to learn also more I think it must be a waste of time because the game is analyzed with the naked eye!

P

pohewa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought they were no longer allowed. Am I wrong then? it was sort of a recent thing if I recall correctly

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's wrong to say whether it's fair or not)) this is not right!) this is a feature of the online poker game), but my opinion is that it is not worth playing with the program. Of course, using the database will help you play better, be in prizes more often, but I think if you want to learn how to play well and understand the situation at the table, you should not play many tables at the same time and use the program to analyze the opponent. When you play a tournament, you have every opportunity to analyze your opponents yourself, without any problems.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

Personally I cant get juice out of using hud in MTT. You see so few hands and I usually feel a bit more lazy to keep eye on the enemy. Really can't get sense from tournament mode and still playing more cash games. Is it proven that some people just is more cabeble of using hud or is just waste of time? Is it easier to beat villains when you just focus on the game with your naked eye?
Poker is a game of information. And this is especially important to understand in online poker. Not so long ago, we shared some tips with you on how to collect information from your opponent in an offline MTT. But it’s especially important to have “see through the table” online
In any poker room there is an option - mark the color of the opponent. And you should definitely use it. This is one of the simplest and most effective tools with which you will not miss a profitable hand against a recreational player and you will not fall into the trap against a more experienced player. You just have to get into the habit of tagging weak players as quickly as possible. If you see a guy at the table with 80bb on the stack who constantly limps preflop and whose VPIP is more than 40%, feel free to mark it with color. The same applies to children with stats 22/18, who are sitting at the same time with you on 3 more tables.Writing notes on opponents is another great way to pay attention to opponents during a session. Although writing notes can be somewhat distracting from the game, it also ensures that you do not play autopilot and pay attention to the game dynamics at the table.
all this is possible without hud. Yes, it is certainly useful, but you can learn to win without

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For low tournaments I don't think it helps much, most of the players in those levels are pretty bad, they like to play a lot of hands, pay with any hand, to play the abc, it is more than enough.

For example, in CC tournaments I have seen all kinds of players win tournaments, very aggressive players, but I have also seen tight players, who only play hands like JJ, QQ, KK, AK, AQ, etc., and have also won tournaments .

And I very much doubt that they use HUD to play, as you see in low buy in tournaments, it is not so necessary to use HUD.
But if you play many tournaments at the same time, the HUD can be a very helpful tool when making decisions against a certain player.

cferdi

cferdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use a HUD sometimes, but I am mostly a tournament player and only recently started using a HUD. In tournament, as some have said, it's not so useful against opponents because a) the tables change and you don't really get enough hands for a proper read, and b) even against a player where you get a fair few hands, their style of play can change over the course of the tournament.

However, it can be somewhat useful, but no more than using colour which many rooms allow anyway. Some rooms fon't allow HUDs and some don't even allow notes (unibet, for example), so it's good practice to get to know your opponents without the HUD, in my opinion and mostly use a HUD to analyse your own game and statistics.

Just my penny's worth...

V

valts102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use hud sometimes,but my results dont get better,so now i dont use hud,and still play with profit.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion these shouldn't be allowed. It's not a level playing field when some have them and some don't. You could say everyone has the choice to use them or not but that overlooks the fact that some will not be able to afford it, why should they be at a disavantage at the table?

Not for me. I don't have one, don't want one, and don't think anyone should be able to use one.

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HUD helps me, as a casual player, make better decisions and execute a lot more good plays (and cash out more $$ in more tournaments, recouping the HUD cost many times over), so I'd truly recommend using one. Without HUD, while I can guesstimate who's active and who's passive, I won't be able to tell how active/passive the villain is (how many times has he entered the pot in the last, say, 20 hands? how many raises vs. how many limps? how many steals? does he have positional awareness? how often did he cbet? how often did he double-barrel? etc.). These are numbers that I can't just pluck just by watching in order to ballpark the villain's tendencies, even if I were to hazard a guess.

Of course everything else is table observation (e.g., villain cbets dirty flop 2/3pot with a weak holding, or villain check-raises turn with a gutshot draw), but HUD numbers do give me the core perspective. Also, if there is an unknown new villain is at the table, he will be there for a good 30 hands at least, enough to paint a rough picture of his basic tendencies (vpip, pfr, cbet, flop/turn/river aggressiveness, etc.)

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not a fan of using. Personally, it is more convenient for me to make decisions based on observations and intuition.