UGHHHH!!! SO close to the final table, back to back tournaments!!!

DaFrank

DaFrank

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what my problem is but I do fairly well in tournaments, and then somehow fall apart Just before the final table!!!! It is so frustrating!!! I need to get it figured out. On the ACR 10$ freerolls, I've finished 14th, 15th, 18th and 24th all in the last week!!! I think maybe I just start getting nervous or something... :( Any advice? or comments???
:confused::confused::heeeellll

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know what my problem is but I do fairly well in tournaments, and then somehow fall apart Just before the final table!!!! It is so frustrating!!! I need to get it figured out. On the ACR 10$ freerolls, I've finished 14th, 15th, 18th and 24th all in the last week!!! I think maybe I just start getting nervous or something... :( Any advice? or comments???

I could give you advice if you posted the bust out hands... without knowing what you're doing incorrectly all I can say is that those tourney's are rough. Especially the final two tables. It is super important to make it to the final two tables with around 60K-100K so you can maneuver properly. Even if you make it to the final two tables short stacked, you can still run up a stack easy because Fold equity is THROUGH THE ROOF.

You just have to tell yourself if I bust it's Ok, and go for it and put pressure on the other players, cause most of them are feeling the same way, and are going to be playing pretty passive.

Going from 20-10 players can take hours on that tournament. I know it sucks playing for hours and busting a few players short of the money, but in the long run playing to win and not to cash you will profit much more than if you blind yourself out.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Hi
Memphis give some excellent advice... i have similar problem often as you... when get close to money and or final table.. i get so excited and nervous
bad thing is i start changing my game ... playing tighter, praying others bust out

thats dumb unless you are near bubble, and study other tables and remaining stacks and assess if wait strategy have high success probability

i agree it is so so frustrating, you been playing over 2 hours and you running ok... when suddenly your AA get cracked one out of money... but thats poker huh?

i think other than keeping eye on stack sizes of villains .. keep play your game, the one that got ya this far - what everyone think?

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
loose and carefree at ACR $10 on demand

I used to take the on-demand ACR tourneys seriously. Plus, it takes forever(3 hours min) to finally get to top ten. Try and take a different attitude, no more TAG.
Since its a wild concept for tourney, only top ten place, maybe you are playing it like a Cardschat tourney, (top18+ ITM).

Since you're not playing "your game", just letting it rip, you'll have more fun, playing looser, making ITM is a bonus, you're not going to beat 95% of the field very often.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to take the on-demand ACR tourneys seriously. Plus, it takes forever(3 hours min) to finally get to top ten. Try and take a different attitude, no more TAG.
Since its a wild concept for tourney, only top ten place, maybe you are playing it like a Cardschat tourney, (top18+ ITM).

Since you're not playing "your game", just letting it rip, you'll have more fun, playing looser, making ITM is a bonus, you're not going to beat 95% of the field very often.

I've won 6 of them last month playing TAG....

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
winning 6 ACR on demands, that's an accomplishment

I've won 6 of them last month playing TAG....

Congrats to winning 6 ACR on demands using TAG.
You are a grinder to play it through all the way and win 6 tourneys.

If you have the TAG attitude that is an advantage in most tourneys; always taking every hand seriously, taking the long-game view.
Again, congrats on 6 ACR on-demand wins. I was probably one of your victims. Maybe we can get to same table sometime in the future. If it's towards the end, I can flip the switch, go to TAG and try to get ITM

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yeah you don't want to be at the same table with MG. Or if you are, not in the same hand :p

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you have the TAG attitude that is an advantage in most tourneys; always taking every hand seriously, taking the long-game view.
Again, congrats on 6 ACR on-demand wins. I was probably one of your victims. Maybe we can get to same table sometime in the future. If it's towards the end, I can flip the switch, go to TAG and try to get ITM

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for you.

DaFrank

DaFrank

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all of the advice!!!

I appreciate the advice. Its really hard for me to stay calm when its down to the final, lets say 27 people. I play a certain way all the way until the end. I am usually pretty aggressive when I need to be and reserved when I need to be. If only I could keep my eyes and mind off of the amount of players remaining and just play the final few tables like I do 90% of the tournament leading up. I really enjoy playing poker but man, can it get a little irritating sometimes..:(

MG I'll look out for you. I'll be the one going out in 11th lolol

DaFrank

DaFrank

DaFrank

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well, Im going to look stupid. What is TAG?? I mean just from seeing people post about it I am assuming that it is some sort of tool or something to help you push through to the end?? A saying maybe, Don't laugh at me lol:cool:

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, Im going to look stupid. What is TAG?? I mean just from seeing people post about it I am assuming that it is some sort of tool or something to help you push through to the end?? A saying maybe, Don't laugh at me lol:cool:

TAG stands for Tight Aggressive.

DaFrank

DaFrank

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

TAG stands for Tight Aggressive.

Awesome, Thanks!! Do you go by MemphisGrind at the tables?

DaFrank

DaFrank

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Hi
Memphis give some excellent advice... i have similar problem often as you... when get close to money and or final table.. i get so excited and nervous
bad thing is i start changing my game ... playing tighter, praying others bust out

thats dumb unless you are near bubble, and study other tables and remaining stacks and assess if wait strategy have high success probability

i agree it is so so frustrating, you been playing over 2 hours and you running ok... when suddenly your AA get cracked one out of money... but thats poker huh?

i think other than keeping eye on stack sizes of villains .. keep play your game, the one that got ya this far - what everyone think?

KristaK

You pretty much nailed it! How you described it is how I get. I start changing my game as well and I start playing to" not lose" instead of to win. Im not really sure how to change it and to not look at how many players are remaining. Its just kind of a habbit.

Hopefully we can both figure it out :eek:
Good luck on the tables

DaFrank

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have some great advice. Don't play the $10 freerolls. Play the satellite tournaments instead. Bigger payouts in the long run. You will thank me.