Two pair vs flush draw (did I play it ok)

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the bb with k6 of clubs, blinds are 600/300 no ante yet

button limps, small blind folds and I check to the flop
Pot stands at 1500
flop is =Kh 6h 4c

Hero; checks (know villain bets the flop no matter their hand after I check)
Villain; Bets pot 1500
Hero; Reraises to 3500
Villain; Waits and calls

Turn is a blank to any draw; Kh 6h 4c 9s
Hero has 3500 left in his stack and gets it all in
Villain calls with 10h 7h
River is Qh giving him the flush.

I was the favourite in that spot right?
How would you more experience players have dealt with a calling station like this?

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
posted in wrong part of tourny play, can I get it moved to hand analysis please :)

H

haihai

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ship it on the flop instead of just raising a little over min. If he calls then he calls nothing you can do; you would've went in with the best of it.

But then again if he was willing to call your check raise on the flop and then your shove on the turn, the he would've probably called if you check raised all in on the flop. Turn did give him a straight draw with his flush draw and decent pot odds so not exactly bad call in the turn by him.

And what was the size of his stack? I think that would play a part in villains decision

Last edited:
dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it exactly how you're supposed to. Nothing you can do about it except maybe jam preflop but that would've been ridiculous.. That's poker!!

A

Acemeister80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im not saying im an experienced player lol, but heres my 2 cents worth....

i think you played it perfectly to be fair, you got it in with 73% favourite and he just happened to hit his 9-outer(?). After you check-raised the flop you would normally lead out and your stack size made it an all-in move. He called hoping for a heart, you're definately in the better spot there.

I think shoving on the flop would be the wrong move coz you'd scare away a lot of hands that you would have got value from. In this case he would call anyway and you'd only be 64% favourite.

You can use a site: www.cardplayer.com/poker-tools/odds-calculator/texas-holdem for help on percentages, taught me loads. If the link doesn't show just type "poker odds calculator" in to Google and it should be the first link.

Good luck

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
before going allin after the turn, you were ahead and the pot was around 8500 chips, your stack was 3500 chips, and you were ahead 35/44 over 9/44, so you were over him like 4 to 1, then you were risking 3500 more chips to get a pot 15500 chips, more than 4 times, so no way you fold this hand, just this the card on the river lift the underdog,

clearly the villain played wrong and just he was luck and won

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what stack your and villain ?? Сan be regarded here preflop push if u have less 10bb.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what stack your and villain ?? Сan be regarded here preflop push if u have less 10bb.

I had more than 10bb, ill check my hand history records :)

It was a hand I would have scrapped preflop outside the big blind, just got into a quick fling with lady luck before she gave the villain a heart... haha

Thanks for the feed back guys Villain had donk their way to a huge stack buy making two pair after two all in with a hand that was dead.

Im just happy that ill make money in the long run. Hasnt tilted me thankfully.
Cash 3 times out of the 4 sngs ive played today :D
1st 2nd and a 4th (came fourth getting scrap the whole game, was money back but still cashed i guess lol)

T

Tiltt2424

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it fine I don't think you're getting villain off of it if they call your shove with one card to see. Unfortunate run out for you when its limped around to you in bb.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to what you wrote, you had 7k after posting your blind. That's 11.6bb. Shove after he bets the flop. When you bet 3500 and assuming he calls, how many cards can come on the turn where you're not getting your remaining 3500 in when it's less than 6bb?

O

oooo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to what you wrote, you had 7k after posting your blind. That's 11.6bb. Shove after he bets the flop. When you bet 3500 and assuming he calls, how many cards can come on the turn where you're not getting your remaining 3500 in when it's less than 6bb?

I use this a lot on my game. If I have na ok hand like 2 pairs, and I make a bet trying to avoid draws, if he calls, the question on the next is:

What hands will beat my hand? How many cards I have to avoid in that street to win this?

And the make the move. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

C

cplinbuffalo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
unlucky here, hes favorite after flop with flush outs and was lucky to catch

A

adepoker11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool:
with double pair if you think that your opponent does not have a set should go allin

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's poker. I believe you just did right. You are the favorite at the flop and turn. At the turn, he has to call because he is already committed. Its just youre unlucky. In the long run. your moves will pay off.

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
River cards are either your best friend or worst enemy. If you are wanting to play reserved, you could always check through putting the other player on the spot. I am not pro, but I do believe in playing tournaments somewhat conservatively....especially the large ones. I probably would have done the same thing as you depending on their chip stack.

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played well but do u know what are the exact percentage for u to hit on the flop with K6 :) ?

D

dasher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is exactly right.

Before you raise on the flop look at what you would have left. Don't make a bet that makes you pot committed on the turn even when the flush hits. Shove it and put him to the test when you are most likely way ahead.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you played well but do u know what are the exact percentage for u to hit on the flop with K6 :) ?

I was in the big blind so it doesnt matter, I got to check it for a 'free' flop, once I did and hit something Im not just walking away because its a hand I would never play pre.

to hit two pair would be same as if i had ak j10 queen 10 etc

O

oooo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in the big blind so it doesnt matter, I got to check it for a 'free' flop, once I did and hit something Im not just walking away because its a hand I would never play pre.

to hit two pair would be same as if i had ak j10 queen 10 etc

I just don't love the reraise you made before flop.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just don't love the reraise you made before flop.

I didnt raise preflop? I was in the big blind, I checked to the flop. Are you even able to read?

T

TheNoobie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As good as I remember, you will only make flush in 10% of the times you have been dealt any two cards of the same suit. So, play according to this rule. Many times that Ive been on a flush draw I wasted money,chips and it didnt hit, in those cases my opponent made the proper calls.
Now, on your case, I would call/raise him with 2 pairs, because you can hit a full house, even if his flush hits, in that case he will be willing to pay much more than he normally would on a regular hand. It goes the same with having a set. Lets say you enter the pot with pocket 3's
Flop 3h 5h 10d
Turn 9s

Now on this hand lets say the villain holds 2 hearts, he could hit his flush, but you dont have bad odds aswell, since any 3 ( theres only one left ) 5 ( 3 left ) or a 10 ( 3 left ), giving you 10 outs for a full house. Any of those cards hit the river and his flush wouldnt matter at all. Also, if he doesnt hit his flush you got a decent hand just aswell. I usually play this the same way every time. Turns out to be profitable for now, but I dont expect it to be right every time, so when it happens that he's got the flush and I got a set I dont think its that much of a deal and move on. Not put myself on a tilt like most of the people do x)

O

oooo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didnt raise preflop? I was in the big blind, I checked to the flop. Are you even able to read?

I am able to read, just got confused because you posted the board only after the reraise. Now I see that you checked and only reraised af the flop bet. Follow me here:

"Hero; checks (know villain bets the flop no matter their hand after I check)
Villain; Bets pot 1500
Hero; Reraises to 3500
Villain; Waits and calls

Turn is a blank to any draw; Kh 6h 4c 9s"

Ok kid, you played very well! ;)

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
two pair vs flush draw

I want to chime in on this one right here .I think what everyone is over looking is not two pair vs. flush draw you really would have to know your opponent to know he was on a flush draw ,with that flop you see action against against a good player it means he has a set, two cards under ten spells danger .

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1st question: yes

2nd question: you played it well and lose due to bad luck as you were having more than 75% pf chances of winning the hand on the river. he was lucky as there were only 9 for him to win. your play is + ev over the long run.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played the hand in good fashion, and lost it unlucky, i lost some of this stuff for a set on flop against flush on river at cash games and i know the feeling :)

Full Flush Poker