Tournament Question

I

IanIanIanIan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Does any one have a formula they like to follow on how strong their stack is ? I know the Pros say it is your stack versus the blinds that determines how long you have left and how aggressive to be. Is there any input? For instance; Money is at 18 . 32 players left. Blinds are 250 - 500 with a 25 ante . I have 7500 chips . Can I coast ?

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have a formula - it depends on how cautious or aggressive everyone else is playing as to how long it will take to reach the money. You might be able to coast and make it but if you do, you're unlikely to have many chips to go further. If you see opportunities to pick up chips, try to take them. You can play tight but you get dealt premium hands, you should play aggressive and make your way up the leaderboard.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very general question, in your question you are assuming that you have 15bbs left , 15bbs is relatively big stack in a turbo/hyper and relatively shortish stack in a regular speed tournament.In a regular speed tournament 15bbs is the threshold of start thinking the open shove move or 3bet shove against other player's open raise.

If you are the player with the action in an unopened pot then with 15bbs I think that you should open kinda tight or if you open wider at least you must know who are the opponents behind you to act,it would be a bad idea to open raise light and face a shove.It is better to have a plan before we act.

Another factor that many players don't take into consideration is how many players behind them have shovable stacks[5bbs-20bbs/depends on the speed of the tournament again].

So once again I tried to give you a piece of advice here but there is not a formula. Also search on the internet for some push fold charts for short stack plays.

TheGiantAsian

TheGiantAsian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big Blind is 500 and you only have 7500. This is not coasting time. Your M is less than 10. You have fold equity for 3b shoves and open shoves. I'd be looking for spots to chip up. If you "coast" at this point you probably bubble

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If anyone has a formula they would be a multi-trillionaire being able to calculate chaos theory.

I would think look at how long it takes to go down 10 players after the beginning stage. I would go off feel calculation and 15 BB or less is not enough to last that long.

R

Rolco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 15 big blinds, as was previously stated, you would be wanting to look for a spot for a strong preflop shove if you could. You may be able to fold into the money but you'd do so with very little remaining chips.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that in the situation with your number of chips, to protect them does not make sense.
You have to play aggressively with a less good card.