Tournament Poker

C

challjr2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m in a 21 person $100 buy in tournament. I look down at my hand AJ suited hearts. Flop come heart, heart, heart. Player beats into me for the min. I then three bet him. He folds. Was I wrong to 3 bet? Should I have just called?

Z

zyntsz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m in a 21 person $100 buy in tournament. I look down at my hand AJ suited hearts. Flop come heart, heart, heart. Player beats into me for the min. I then three bet him. He folds. Was I wrong to 3 bet? Should I have just called?

He likely didn't have a good hand and was afraid of the flush after seeing 3 suited card right at the flop. You were not wrong to 3 bet as some aggressive player might fall for it in order to bluff. However, I do think you should have checked/called to see which card he likely has and how much he is willing to bet for with that hand.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It's hard to say for sure without knowing this player's style of play. You may have scared him. Or maybe he was just bluffing and he had nothing. Nobody will pay off such a flop without a good hand - it's too dangerous.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would have slowplayed it . you have the nuts ....why would you raise it . especially if you have position

L

Living__M

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As I understand he bet only one blind? Its an strange bet. But i have learned that nutty hands are best to be slowplayed.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can see, that this is your first post, so first of all welcome to CC forum :)

For hand analysis please provide as much information as possible, because then we can give better answers. Like for example:

"I was in CO with AhJh and raised to 2,5BB. BB called and we go heads up to a flop. I had around 30BB, he had me covered. Flop came KhTh4h, and he lead for 1BB into the pot of 6,5BB. I then raised to 6BB, and he folded."

With the caveat, that I only have very limited information, I can go either way on the flop. On one side you obviously want to build a pot, when you flopped the nuts, and he is not really doing it for you by making a min-bet. On the other side that min-bet is often a weak hand, so I would not hate to slowplay and allow him to stay in the hand.

I dont think, a set or two pair use this size very often, so he is likely drawing almost dead, and there are no bad turn cards for you. I dont hate raising, but I would definitely give him a price, where he is willing to continue with some pretty bad hands, and I can get behind just calling as well.

I will say though, that if this was a weak "probing bet", which it looks like, you were probably not going to get him to put in a lot of chips anyway. And if he was going to check-fold the turn to any reasonable bet, the result would of course have been the same. The issue with flopping the nut flush is, that its difficult for your opponent to have a really great hand, and therefore you are often not getting much action.

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on what you do with your entire range on such flop.

for example,, imagine having AJ of spades in the same situation. What would you do when you have A high here? If you mostly bluff raise such a min bet from an opponent in this spot even with A high, then you definitely should raise with made flush too.

But if you no dot have bluffs in this spot, then you should always call and never raise with the nut flush.

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think, a set or two pair use this size very often, so he is likely drawing almost dead, and there are no bad turn cards for you. I dont hate raising, but I would definitely give him a price, where he is willing to continue with some pretty bad hands, and I can get behind just calling as well..

I don't think I agree with that statement. A lot of weak players will min bet with 2-pair or set in this spot. Not to mention hands with one heart. So opponent's range here will definitely have some hands to continue with after we 3-bet.

So depending on our overall strategy we could have a 3-betting range here. But only if we are balanced with our bluffs and value hands.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hichallir2. I'm like most everybody else. I would have just called with that flop. You never bet and run the only player out of the hand. Besides, he may try to bluff on the turn. Or he may hit a card on the turn, which will keep him in the hand. If he goes to the river, then that's when you make your move. GL

A

auslender72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what you do with your entire range on such flop.

for example,, imagine having AJ of spades in the same situation. What would you do when you have A high here? If you mostly bluff raise such a min bet from an opponent in this spot even with A high, then you definitely should raise with made flush too.

But if you no dot have bluffs in this spot, then you should always call and never raise with the nut flush.

I totally agree, I'd just add it's very important how the other players at the table see you

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And throughout the game, you made such notes on this player, what range of hands he plays and what his behavior in this situation is you have not understood until now?

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not rush to show my cards and check-call