tournament bubble

L

Lucky River

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently played 3 tournaments and every time I left the tournament for the bubble. I played badly or just had no luck (((

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It will certainly happen a few more times that you can't make it past the bubble. Of course I can't say whether you did everything right or not, but if you almost made it to the itm seats then you probably didn't do everything wrong, but I think everyone who is not yet a pro at poker still has a lot to learn . And even if you have learned everything then there is no guarantee that you will make it because not everyone can win, a few have to lose so that others can win. You can only try to play as well as possible and if you still lose then you know that it was not because of the way you played but you were just unlucky. I wish you good luck and good hands at the tables

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most MTTs only play around 1 in 7 participants, so not cashing 3 times in a row is not even a bad run. If you were "almost there but not quite" every time, that can feel a bit annoying. But at the end of the day it does not matter, if you bust after 20 minutes or 3 hours, at least not for your financial results. If you bust after 20 minutes, you might actually end up losing more, because then you have more time to play another tournament. To even just somewhat overcome variance, you have to play at least 100 MTTs every month and ideally even more. So dont get hung up on meaningless short term results like this.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That really sucks but how many players were there? If you were playing smallish tournaments, say 50 or so then bubbling three times in a row isn’t crazy. If it’s in MTTs with thousands then you have to ask yourself, should you have played that last hand or waited a hand to be able to cash. I often fold good but not great starting hands when I’m short and know that folding will get me in the money, eg hands like AJ, 88, etc. Hands I will normally shove but you have to look at where you are in tournaments as well.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most MTTs only play around 1 in 7 participants, so not cashing 3 times in a row is not even a bad run. If you were "almost there but not quite" every time, that can feel a bit annoying. But at the end of the day it does not matter, if you bust after 20 minutes or 3 hours, at least not for your financial results. If you bust after 20 minutes, you might actually end up losing more, because then you have more time to play another tournament. To even just somewhat overcome variance, you have to play at least 100 MTTs every month and ideally even more. So dont get hung up on meaningless short term results like this.

I agree with this 100% - variance is real and poker is unforgiving. It's part of the game and you need to be prepared mentally to deal with these things as they will be normal.

Now, that being said I would like to add that when we are approaching the money bubble - like in this scenario with 3 left to go - if we are a medium stack, we should just chill and don't get involved in too many situations that can jeopardize a secured cash. If we have a large stack and are near the top of the field - we can open ridiculous amounts of hands to exploit people (within reason) tightening up because of the bubble being so close. Now, if we are in the bottom of the field - say 95/103 left, then we want to really tighten up and try to only get it all in with our best hands and allow the shortest stacks to go broke before us. I'm only making a move if I am in the bottom 5 or 6 of the field in this scenario - the general rule of thumb is that some ROI is better than no ROI and though we typically are not focusing on min cashing, it's good to lockup the cash while bearing in mind you are playing to win, so if the correct scenario comes up just get the money in and don't sweat the results. Locking up a cash is always good for our bottom line when we are playing seriously. We can make moves after the bubble is burst.

Just as an example, I've been in tournaments before with 8bb left and 5 people away from the money and still be sitting 180/220 players remaining - and in that scenario I will just wait it out until a few players go broke then I will make my move. I will even open fold 99s or TTs in these scenarios because I don't need to be flipping when I can almost certainly secure a cash before I need to do so.

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the winning percentage will increase if you consider whether you can make odds calls by being aware of your position on the bubble line and whether you have to double up all-in.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Cant sat it any better than Jon did. You really just need to remember that cashing is not easy and wont always happen. 3 or 4 tournaments is a small sample size. I have gone over 30 several times with not a single cash. Variance can be tough to handle,

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
When it comes to bubble play, it's definitely all about recognizing the scenario you're in. Are you a chip leader, middle, or short stack? How many people have less chips than you and may need to go all-in sooner due to position or blinds? One tip I do in tournaments where it's hand-for-hand is open up the table(s) of the players with the smallest stacks and see where their next BB is coming or track their play and play your hand accordingly.

florestaftw

florestaftw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently played 3 tournaments and every time I left the tournament for the bubble. I played badly or just had no luck (((

The beauty of this game. poker.
In situations like yours, I try to play premium hands, hoping to get into ITM

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are three tournament bubble strategies.
Many players on the bubble start playing mega tight and very carefully, they are mostly beginners.
More experienced players take advantage of the fact that many players on the bubble play carefully, and start playing mega aggressively, steal the blinds, it's worth it, because the blinds at this stage of the tournament are already quite large.
Well, there are players who play their usual poker without changes on the money.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both possible or a combination of both. You should consider a bubble situation as a spot in which you can exert pressure if everyone Players still to move after you either:

- have a smaller stack than you
- Have a bigger stack, but losing an all-in against you is a big part of it of their stack and jeopardize their chances of making the money
- or have a bigger stack than you and regardless of the outcome of an all-in, probably that Would make money but play tight-passive and only then use their stack to their advantage use them when they have a really good hand

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, you are just out of luck on the basis of 3 cheese tournaments, it is not yet possible to draw final conclusions.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no such thing as bad luck when it happens 3 times, we need to know the hands and situations how you got busted!

T

tiefgang23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u have to be very tired as shortstack at the bubble ( i just play AA /KK / QQ there) or aggresiv as chipleader, good luck for the future

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At times I sit out part of the bubble smoking a cigarette or two on the balcony.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
That happens. I try not to rely on the tournament bubble and play my game depending on the tournament.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
You have to see how you were eliminated in the bubble, you may have had bad luck or suddenly you made a play that you should not or you played very risky, I do not know, the issue of the bubble is always complicated, sometimes it is difficult to say no take a risk but many times you have to do it to be able to continue in the game

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a little more information is needed to help you. Bubble is very dangerous, because it has a lot of opportunities for you to take a risk. But you must understand that this is the worst place to take a risk and you should avoid it, if your chips can get to the money. I think, you bad play well in the middle of a tournament, if you leave the tournament during a bubble. Change your path, your game strategy, and show aggression much earlier. But when you realize that it is impossible to win, but you can get into the money, you should fully focus on the money and not try to go higher. Sit still and wait for bubble time :)

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To understand whether you played badly or was simply unlucky on the bubble: you need to know with what stack you approached him.
The tournament is designed in such a way that if you do not play, you will not get into the prizes.
For example:
Played badly: at the beginning of the tournament, many hands were opened and most of the chips were lost.
Unlucky: came up with a medium stack. We got AA. On pre-flop, the opponent goes all-in. You call and you lose.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Based on so little info, it’s hard to say. But getting out 3 times in a row is very uncommon. Maybe be a little tighter, be sure to get in next time!

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You may not have played badly, but for three games you want to get into the prizes. It will be cool.