Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier go over their Top Five Tournament Tips:

What would you add to the list? Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more great videos like these!

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Nice video. Short, sweet and to the point. I heard a tip that was not related to winning a tournament, but it gives me a smile.

Bring an orange in your pocket. If you sit next to someone that smells like cigarette smoke or smells bad for some other reason, you can break into the peel and take a few sniffs every once in a while.

I know, not a serious tip; but I actually used it once.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A good set of tips for Tournament poker. I feel they covered the basics of tournament play very well. I will put some of their tips to use when I play next time.

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks. The tips are useful for me.

Tips #4 hit me the hardest way it can. I always had such difficulty when I have big stack. I always tend to be more passive when I had big stack on tournament, compared to when I have mid-size stack.

Other point that I'd like to include is be patient and stick to the range. This is another mistake that I'm trying to solve.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
these tips I think would serve more in live poker. aggressiveness is necessary in all types of strategy games, I play more passively. but we have to analyze all hands like a calculator predicting the future of the hands to be aggressive or passive. bankroll management for me is the central point of control in the game.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Some important points: Always think about the value of the bet before it is made, to avoid commenting on how you play your hands, to be a good observer at the poker table, in addition to seeking to know the stacks of other players.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice video. Short, sweet and to the point. I heard a tip that was not related to winning a tournament, but it gives me a smile.

Bring an orange in your pocket. If you sit next to someone that smells like cigarette smoke or smells bad for some other reason, you can break into the peel and take a few sniffs every once in a while.

The smell of tangerine is my favorite. It makes me recall how much I enjoyed eating them as a child and brings back happy memories and uplifts my mood. It is available as an essential oil for cheap.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
This is one of the best videos from cardschat about tournaments. It really is very valuable and helpfull. It contains very important tips for the tournament`s strategy!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks very much for all of the nice comments on here!

I know you were somewhat joking but I really like the tip about the orange! Being a Florida girl I’m surprised I hadn’t heard that one before, but it’s a wonderful idea—though I may have to update it to an orange in my purse instead of my (often nonexistent) pocket!

As an added bonus, people would probably assume I was a very superstitious player lol, which I’m not :)

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A very complete and very good video, it is a pleasure to receive tips from professional players.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Very sound advices. It's just so hard to find those softer fields. Maybe one should try to find at least smaller fields instead of playing against many thousands of people?

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What a beautiful video and a lot of information and above all good material, they are very important tips and although we live moments of long poker plays every day, it does not seem like those little things that could lead us to glory, and good tips really help a lot both new players as well as old players since every day new poker material is welcome and it nourishes us with more information when making a move

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great video guys, thank you very much.

I especially like tip number two which is about having a plan for your hand. I think this is always important to have a picture in your head of how the hand will play out for your play and what you will do in situations that follow.

Love the CardsChat hoodies that you guys are rocking. You look so cutesy in matching hoodies!

BB

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very good video!

5 fundamental tips that can help beginners to take a grasp about the basics of MTTs.

I would say the most important tips are #3 and #5.

Choosing to play soft-field tourneys (mainly for online poker) can really give someone the opportunity to make a good deep run out of the nowhere. I agree also with the push-fold tip for less than 15 blinds.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks very much for the kind words and feedback everyone!

I had a great time making this video with Katie :)

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Being aggressive is tough for me but I am practicing. Just seems when I get aggressive, some calling station comes over the top. Drives me crazy. I always try to have a plan for my hand, and it changes as I move to the flop, turn and river. I am not a big fan of the shove/fold when low stack. I like to see a flop and see if I can improve. Works out sometimes...others not so much. Have to play a bit looser as well when I am the large stack....sometimes I try that and damn dont I loose most of my chips.

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was actually the 2nd time I watched this video because it is one of the 'quests' in the Treasure Hunt Event but I am definitely glad I re-watched it. The 1st time I was just so focused on hearing #5 that I didn't pay as close attention to the other tips but this time I did and I am happy for that:D.

I really liked #2: Plan Your Hands In Advance. This is something I have been thinking about recently and it is nice to see that it is a good strategy. I try not to play hands that I am not willing to commit to.

I do somewhat follow #3: Shove or Fold with 15bb or Less. The only difference is my threshold is a little less and I don't ALWAYS follow that rule. I do consider how others play.

The one tip I would add is to never chase. While sometimes it seems like it can pay off, I'm sure you will lose more in the long run and that is never a good thing. However, I know I am very guilty of that but I am trying to make an effort to change this behavior.

Overall, this a great, quick little video and especially for new players;).

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great video guys, thank you very much.

I especially like tip number two which is about having a plan for your hand. I think this is always important to have a picture in your head of how the hand will play out for your play and what you will do in situations that follow.

Love the CardsChat hoodies that you guys are rocking. You look so cutesy in matching hoodies!

BB

Thanks very much! And if you like the matching CardsChat hoodies (omg so comfortable [emoji7]) then you’d get a laugh out of what we wear at Disneyworld lol—I like to make us all family matching t-shirts; Collin has a tigger one that’s my favorite! :)

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great tips.
I would add 2 things that i think are so important too:
1. Be patient and do not play emotionally, specially against agro/crazy players that plays any 2 cards; and
2. Do not pay two much chips when you have draws (straight and flush draws), pay only when you have EV to do it.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nice and fun video.
I'm only in doubt about the tip number 3. It's 15 really the best number to fold/shove action? I read already that 10 is the best option. It depends on the opponents stack, specially on final tables or not? Position to do it probably matters a lot. Or not?

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The advice from the video is very good. I also wanted to add that many players, especially at low limits, often do not have enough eggs to turn big bluffs, which in turn makes them very exploitable and predictable in the eyes of thinking opponents who simply stop paying them. And thereby they lose tons of value. You should also understand that to get into the money in a tournament you need to earn at least a triple stack relative to the initial one (and most often even more). Therefore, instead of being careful and playing in a closed style, you need to show strong and aggressive poker at the beginning of the tournament in order to get a deep stack.

G

Gelidmind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are some great tips. Aggression is definitely key, as well as being unpredictable. Some players create a pattern for themselves which allows them to be bluffed more often than not. A good player can build up a decent chip stack in these spots. I also like the 15 bb shove strategy. I've kind of be confused in these spots, but picking the right spot and shoving can get your chip stack back up fairly quickly when making the right play. Thanks.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Nice and easy to digest video.

I would add in adjusting to the bubble and upping the aggression based on opponents stack sizes

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, tips are helpful.
Maybe add something like this - when someone all-in in front of you several times and annoys you very much, please do not rush to call with a wide range of starting hands.

Poker Tips