Too Reckless??

FlushhDraw

FlushhDraw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A $15 knockout tournament on wsop dot com. With blinds of 40 / 80 I'm in the big blind with JJ. There are 3 folds and the hijack open limps. An unknown in the hijack with 2800 goes all in. A known shark in the cutoff who I know will isolate in such situations goes all-in for 7700. Yours truly is in the big blind with JJ and an 8200 stack. In this type of situation is it to reckless to put the money in there. The Knockouts at stake are only $5 each.

There's a good chance that if I call I will be in a flipping situation with the shark so should potential all-in flips be reserved for a time when you don't have any choice such as only 10 or 15 big blinds left in your stack or when the villain in question is on life support or in this type of situation are you going to go with the JJ even though you're sitting on over 100 big blinds in your stack??

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Usually I don't like to play for my whole stack with JJ as deep as 100bb.

But, if he really is as aggressive as you think it can be profitable in the long run since you close the action and doesn't risk some other deep stack calling with a premium pair after you.

I would like to see him do it with some hands what you not only is flipping with but dominate some times first.

If he can do it with lower pairs than your JJ, some worse aces than AQ and maybe some suited connectors lower than KQs you probably have a stronger range.

Since you can face AA, KK, QQ i want to see him play some hands you dominate to balance it even if over cards is more probable due to more combinations.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really see a problem with your play given the information you have on the player. You have a good chance to knock out the shark. If he's isolating with ATs you are way ahead. Being as deep as you are folding is totally reasonable here too. It's about 50/50 call or fold. Both are fine. Fold if you don't want to risk busting out. If you think the bounty and knocking out the shark is worth the risk then call.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With this info, for me it’s easy call. It’s KO and people play lots loser then in regular MTT

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To do proper math in a bounty situation we need to know the starting stack at the beginning of the tournament. Otherwise its not possible to calculate the chip value of the bounties. This chip value will also influence, how wide CO should be over-jamming and thus our estimated equity against his range. In a regular tournament this is for sure 100% a fold, but in a bounty it could perhaps be a call, if the chip value of the two bounties is significant compared to your stack.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I want to know is how a 40/80 blind escalated to a limp making a pot of 200 then an all in of 2800. I agree with the 7700 to isolate but are you really hoping for a flip situation that early in a tournament? I would just fold and gain what ever information I can on the 2 players. Its too early for me to flip when the blinds are so low. This is just my humble opinion.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think we can just call, that's for sure. To be 100% honest I dont hate a fold being so deep here. On the other hand I'm sure it's a profitable Jam also....

Personally I sigh fold, but I wouldnt hate a jam either.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually I don't like to play for my whole stack with JJ as deep as 100bb.

But, if he really is as aggressive as you think it can be profitable in the long run since you close the action and doesn't risk some other deep stack calling with a premium pair after you.

I would like to see him do it with some hands what you not only is flipping with but dominate some times first.

If he can do it with lower pairs than your JJ, some worse aces than AQ and maybe some suited connectors lower than KQs you probably have a stronger range.

Since you can face AA, KK, QQ i want to see him play some hands you dominate to balance it even if over cards is more probable due to more combinations.

I agree that it is too early and your stack is too good to call two people all-in. At worst you're flipping. There are better spots to pick.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ no good

I am folding JJ here almost 100 percent of the time, there is no real need to risk you stack against 2 players with a hand as vulnerable as two jacks. JJ is a hard hand to just straight up lay down preflop, but going against 2 players is even worse than just one, and just one can be tricky to win against with this hand. Your unlikely going to scoop the pot unless you hit a set, and is that what you really want to do with so many blinds, set mine for two 5$ bounties, negative E.V in my thoughts. You have so many chips just lay down this vulnerable hand and find a better spot. If you had QQ here I would understand it's a bit harder of a fold but still a dicey spot. FOLD JJ in spots your not absolutely sure about, and look for spots where you are going to be at least a coin flip, even then JJ gets cracked quite often. Just watch out playing this hand, it puts you in more bad spots than good in my opinion, I don't risk my stack with such flimsy hands.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a good chance that if I call I will be in a flipping situation with the shark so should potential all-in flips be reserved for a time when you don't have any choice

But in these situations there is also a good chance that your opponents steal themselves outs, because they both hold an ace for example... then they only have 2 outs to hit the ace... in such a case your opponents only have 8 outs combined. Not the worst odds for winning 2.5 times your stack.

I think i would mostly fold anyway in this situation and wait for a better spot to double up my 100BB stack ;)
But from time to time i would call and grab a giant pot :)

FlushhDraw

FlushhDraw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for all the replies. Damn I sure got a hell of a lot more input over here than I did at two plus two. One of you wanted to know the starting stacks and that was 4K. I ended up jamming but I felt afterward it was a mistake. It turned out that the original all-in had pocket nines, the shark isolated with a AJs and it was an all low board nothing higher than a 6 and I took out both of them, but even after I got all the chips I kept thinking to myself I had just made a mistake because you cannot be results-oriented so I do totally appreciate all the input and thoughts and opinions on this by everyone here. Thanks again.