Tips for progressive bounty tournaments

teepack

teepack

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Any tips for playing in progressive bounty tournaments? I did really well in one, but I have a tendency to chase bounties when I shouldn't and cost myself huge chunks of my stack.

My tips are: Register on-time or at least within the first few levels.
Play your normal game early and try to build up your stack.
Keep an eye on short stacks and try to isolate them whenever possible if you have a strong hand.
Also, keep an eye on the monster stacks and don't be afraid to shove into them if you have a really strong hand. You may catch them bounty chasing and get an easy double up. Let's say you have pocket 6s and the flop comes A-9-6 rainbow. If the strong hand has an A-X and you shove, he may call you trying to get your bounty.
Once you build up your stack, expand your opening range and get used to limping into hands as much as possible. In other words, try to see as many flops as you can as cheaply as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Total posts
Hi!:)
Thank you for the tips,I will try to apply them, due to the fact that I don't play knockouts much and I have no experience and strategy.But your advice is also suitable for hyperturbo MTT.

I

IanP304

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Personally I play them similar to how I would play a standard MTT in the early stages at least, the bounties will come but there is not a need to chase them early on as the bounties are low. As you run deep though then often your approach should change as the bounties often become more valuable then the next pay jump so your ICM calculations need to take into account the value of the bounties.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Total posts
Awards
UA
Hi.
Sometimes I play in such tournaments, but I always register for them in advance. And I never register with them during late registration. I believe that in such tournaments you need to play quite aggressively, but adequately assessing your chances.
Good luck.

Ellvira

Ellvira

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
hi, good advice on playing with knockouts, now I will go in and play knockouts, if there is a good result, I will definitely unsubscribe

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Certainly some good strategies there. The main thing is to not make the mistake of ignoring the bounties. They are after all usually half the price pool, so you need to get in there and fight for that money within reason :)

T

tourpro99

Rock Star
Total posts
I haven't played many but I would assume that you should factor in the value of the bounties into whether or not to call an all-in from a shorter stack---would guess that your calling range should be a bit (but not drastically) wider? All depends on the size of the bounties relative to the size of the payouts.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Total posts
This discipline is no different from the main grid.Play your game and don't think about knockouts.They will come to you on their own.Yes, no one guarantees that playing your game you will win-there is a layout on the table for your tilt and very sometimes a lucky opponent)

MC_asp

MC_asp

Rock Star
Total posts
Thanks for the tips, it largely corresponds to how I play progressive bounty tournaments myself. It is good advice to join from the beginning of the tournament and not to take advantage of the late registration. I have rarely seen anyone win a lot of bounties and land in the prizes during a late registration. Often someone comes in late in the tournament wins 1 all in hand after which it is eventually played out again, patience is an important issue here.

Furthermore, it is certainly wise to play these types of tournaments like any other MTT, so be patient and not try to see the flop for multiple blinds with every card. I myself only play high suites cards and pockets (88+).

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Total posts
The main thing I try to stick to is since in the early rounds people's stacks are usually quite close to each other, I'm not expecting to get any PKOs. If I can get some chips and have a larger-than-average stack after the first few rounds, I feel like I'll be in good position to execute whatever situations I find myself in to hopefully pick up some PKOs.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Total posts
I played several times in a progressive knockout tournament, but I never made it to the final, I think that I have little experience in this discipline, I will try to adopt your strategy. Thanks for the advice.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
A lot of players talk of calling down wider to catch a bounty...I don't think that's too clever. Most of the time you'll double him up then he'll be chasing YOUR bounty !!!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
A lot of players talk of calling down wider to catch a bounty...I don't think that's too clever. Most of the time you'll double him up then he'll be chasing YOUR bounty !!!

Its simple math. The bounty has a value, which can be converted to chips, so you are getting better pot odds. Allow me to illustrate with a simple example. We are playing a 9-man SnG, where 25% of the price money goes to the bounty, and a starting stack is 1.500 chips. Lets say, the buyin is 10+1$, so 1.500 chips is worth 10$. With all 9 players left the value of a bounty will be 1.500/4=375 chips. When someone are knocked out, it goes up, because now players are fighting for a smaller relative price pool.

Lets say, that blinds are 50/25, and someone has lost 2/3 of his chips to another player. So we have 7 guys (including us) with 1.500 chips, 1 guy with 2.500 chips and one unlucky guy with 500 chips. Now lets put the unlucky guy on BTN and assume, he open jams for his 500 chips or 10BB. SB folds, and action is on us in BB. If there is no ante, we will need to put in 450 chips to win a pot of 1.025, so in pure chip EV we would need 43,9% equity against his range to call. However because his bounty is worth 375 chips, we are paying 450 to win 1.400, and therefore we only need 32,1% equity. This makes a huge difference, because way more hands have 32,1% equity against a wide BTN jamming range then 43,9%. We cant quite call him with any two cards, but its close.

Now admittedly this is an extreme example, where someone have lost 67% of their chips, which makes their bounty cheap to content for. If the player has a full starting stack or above the starting stack, the adjustments are significantly smaller. But situations like these do come up, and if you are not looking out for them and adjusting accordingly, then you are better off sticking to regular tournaments :)

Tracid

Tracid

Squirrel Tiger
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Any tips for playing in progressive bounty tournaments? I did really well in one, but I have a tendency to chase bounties when I shouldn't and cost myself huge chunks of my stack.

Keep an eye on short stacks and try to isolate them whenever possible if you have a strong hand.
Also, keep an eye on the monster stacks and don't be afraid to shove into them if you have a really strong hand. You may catch them bounty chasing and get an easy double up. Let's say you have pocket 6s and the flop comes A-9-6 rainbow. If the strong hand has an A-X and you shove, he may call you trying to get your bounty.
Once you build up your stack, expand your opening range and get used to limping into hands as much as possible. In other words, try to see as many flops as you can as cheaply as possible.
You ask for tips but then follow that request up with a list of rather good tactical suggestions of your own! :biggrin:

If we bolster your arsenal any further you might become an unstoppable PKO force, then where would the rest of us be having to face you? We'd have to be an immovable object to just chop! :laugh: :wink:

Well, for a while now I've played PKOs almost exclusively. Occasionally am tempted to register into regular format MTTs but, the prizepool has to be real juicy.

One of the great things about PKOs (in my opinion) is that you can be freerolling within the first half an hour, which in turn means if you bust pre-ITM, you break even.

In regular MTT format if you bust before ITM, you're always losing, never breaking even, and certainly never profiting.

Lost count of how many times I've bust a PKO before ITM but made a +ROI.

In the past I approached PKOs with my standard MTT strategy and only became more and more frustrated with the results.

This leads me onto my main suggestions for PKO strategy:

A.) Be aggressive.

PKOs are not for the timid or fainthearted!

These are the worst tournaments to play any kind of passive, snug poker- you will just bleed & bleed until you are dry.

If things go perfectly for you, once in a blue moon you will succeed with that approach. The rest of the time- el zilcho! (nothing)

B.) Fight for bounties.

The second reason any kind of TAP strategy is flawed in PKOs is- you will not be in contention for bounties!

You must remember that usually around half of the prizepool is tied up in head prizes.

That is extremely significant and is the main reason it's inadvisable to late reg into these games (because a reasonable percentage of the total prizepool has already been won and is therefore impossible for you to snaffle).

We always want to be on the lookout for potential bounties to pick up and must widen our ranges (in certain situations significantly) in order to reflect this.

C.) Be the chipleader.

The best way to dominate a PKO is to build up as significant chip-lead over your table as possible.

Having a bigger stack than your opponent puts you in a commanding position and can be an even greater advantage in PKOs than is commonly observed in other formats.

You might be thinking to yourself that this is 'easier said than done' but if you practice point A.) and B.), then C.) will follow naturally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You need to not be afraid to roll the dice when there is a bounty on the line, even more so if there are multiple bounties available to be won.

Remember if you always get it in good then you can never suckout, ATC can flop quads and that fortune favours the bold! :wink:​

Last edited by a moderator:
nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Any tips for playing in progressive bounty tournaments? I've been playing a lot in ACR lately. I did really well in one, but I have a tendency to chase bounties when I shouldn't and cost myself huge chunks of my stack.

The main mistake newcomers make to PKO tournaments is playing too aggressively for the bounty. Mistake number two - playing without any format adjustment at all. According to Jacobson, the optimal strategy is somewhere in the middle: be more active if you cover your opponent in the hand, or when you see an easy target that is chasing an easy bounty. But don't neglect the basic concepts of tournament play.2.Get involved in early action. It may seem counterintuitive, but bounties for knocking out opponents in the early stages are worth more, because you can realize your equity and get a part of the prize pool at the very start of the event. For this reason, PKO tournaments encourage players to take early action.

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

jackpot789

jackpot789

Enthusiast
Total posts
Any other good PKO info out there on the interwebs?

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Total posts
Some great tips in here. I've just started dabbling in PKOs and like the possibility of freerolling early on with bounties.

The one point that caught me off was the limping when you have the chip lead. It makes sense to have as much bounty action as possible and this strategy has never occurred to me as I normally take a more aggressive approach and open with raises. This could save me a few chips with the more marginal hands, thanks for that

Poker Tips