Tips to play postflop

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys, I have played some sng and tournament of different styles and buys, but my biggest trouble is in how to play post flop.

I am waiting for good spots, I choose a good range and prefer play in position, but I am still lost a lot. If I am out of position I don't know how to proceed, and will wait to hit anything or I can't play well.

When I hit a good hand I don't know how to extract more chips, and I end up expelling the opponents of the hand.

I have played in the CC freerolls, some players know exactly how to play, others seen like me, but they put some press in the game with huge bets or raise allin with weak hands.

I have difficult do read the players and separate theses players in few hands, it makes me lose much money and I finish tilted and lose everything.

Anyone can help me? Any information on how to improve the postflop game is welcome.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, I have played some sng and tournament of different styles and buys, but my biggest trouble is in how to play post flop.

I am waiting for good spots, I choose a good range and prefer play in position, but I am still lost a lot. If I am out of position I don't know how to proceed, and will wait to hit anything or I can't play well.

When I hit a good hand I don't know how to extract more chips, and I end up expelling the opponents of the hand.

I have played in the CC freerolls, some players know exactly how to play, others seen like me, but they put some press in the game with huge bets or raise allin with weak hands.

I have difficult do read the players and separate theses players in few hands, it makes me lose much money and I finish tilted and lose everything.

Anyone can help me? Any information on how to improve the postflop game is welcome.
You could watch some videos to see exactly how others play their hands on every street. Also there are a lot of good poker books that show hands and continuation ranges for different boards.

aqqr

aqqr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Constantly make huge bets with the nuts is a mistake. You need to keep the opponent's range as wide as possible. So you're going to catch bluffs and not knock out his hands weaker. I've noticed that in tournaments with small bi opponents like to make big bluffs in position. If you make the check-raise on the turn, you lose his big bluff bet on the river. If I understand the question correctly, your mistake is that.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love playing the flop. Love playing heads up and even spin n go cause you play lot of flops. Yep, I am an amateur with not much luck in tournaments so I can't give you a really helpful advice.

My only advice to be a better player postflop is to have a read on your opponent you are playing. Im playing tons of heads up, the only way to get maximum profit from nuts or get folds bluffing with air is knowing your opponent tendecies. At least put him in a tight or loose style.

My other advice, is if you play a lot of tournaments where you just fold everything as you wait for a premium hand, and then just wait to see if you hit your hand, playing heads up even for play money would feel like a complete other game, but surely will strenght your postflop skills.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls your should play very tight and very aggressive until late registration is finish. Very little poker is play before this point. People usually shove the moment the pot gets built up preflop with nothing just trying to get lucky. Once you get to at point where you're seeing more flops try to create a tight table image. It's hard because you get move so frequent but its possible. Play position poker and if there's a LAG getting out of line and your holding AQs+ AKo AKs or 10,10+ just shove you'll more then likely get the call and should be a huge favorite. Triple barreling is hard but can be effective with TAGs because most are assuming that you either got lucky or are bluffing them and considering the stakes are $0 in their mind they'll call you down. Trap these players and just hope your cards hold. Once you get down to 60 to 40 players you'll notice people start to tighten up. Do the opposite. Try to avoid any player doing the same unless you have a commanding chip lead on them or you have a premium holding. When it comes to playing the flop just know that the players who are constantly seeing flops should be value bet on all 3 streets something like 25% pot bet and the tight players should be bet the same but if you get any fight from the tight player fold unless you think he's bluffing and just know you're going to have to double or triple barrel and hope that he doesn't hit anything along the way. I rarely bluff with air unless someone is just folding every hand or the player has a polarized range with many cards that could come on the turn and river that would hurt his hand. It's a tough way to play poker

Poker Tips