Tips to improve my multi-table tournament game

M

Mann1ng89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Afternoon ladies and gents,

I've decided I'm looking to improve my MTT game after not progressing much over the last few months.

I tend to play micro stakes online and seem to do alright with sit and go and cash games, but I rarely manage anything above a min cash in the larger tournaments.

Part of this is probably that I don't have much experience. Another part is that I'm probably a little bit too impatient as I have played a fair amount of free turbo games (which I'm looking to move away from).

I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone had any good advice for improving my MTT game?

Anyone have any tips, advice, tactics they use, or even any go books that they've read that go into MTT specifically?

Thanks in advance.

S

StraightValue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!

The biggest tip I could give you is to play for first place instead of just hoping to cash. What I mean by this is you cannot be scared to miss the min cash by folding strong hands when you are close.

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
MTT games

Hello I have been playing poker for two years and I only play tournaments on many tables, not that I do not like cash games but the tournaments are interesting to me. I can give you a few tips. To start playing a sit-go, it's a standard turbo. Then learn to wake the patient to wait for good hands and change your game. MORE AGRESSION WHEN STAY IN A SMALL GAME

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am going to add a tip that has been helping me but it wont always be the right move.

I am folding AQ more to all in bets where they could seriously damage my stack, especially when the raise comes from early position.

I am also folding it to all in 3bets more often. This way you'll find yourself dominated by AK much less often.

Take it for what its worth.

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very knowledgeable poker pro taught me to break the tournament down into 3 segments. Play the beginning like a nice cash game. Treat the middle to late game like a true tournament. And treat the final table like a SNG.

andy112211

andy112211

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same problem as you

In MTT play I am trying to take my time more. I am trying to concentrate more and think is this bet really worth it? I snap call too much. I need to slow down. There is so much to think about, pot odds, position, how many outs do I have? I am trying to fold more and live to fight another day when I have the advantage.

W

wisepapa2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is the key for these situations..you can choose your basic strategy eg (30 hands) and try to keep up with all the tables...but you have to have specific strategy

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Afternoon ladies and gents,

I've decided I'm looking to improve my MTT game after not progressing much over the last few months.

I tend to play micro stakes online and seem to do alright with sit and go and cash games, but I rarely manage anything above a min cash in the larger tournaments.

Part of this is probably that I don't have much experience. Another part is that I'm probably a little bit too impatient as I have played a fair amount of free turbo games (which I'm looking to move away from).

I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone had any good advice for improving my MTT game?

Anyone have any tips, advice, tactics they use, or even any go books that they've read that go into MTT specifically?

Thanks in advance.

Play stronger hands aggressively and ore hands when the blinds are small.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loads of advice I can offer but as you haven't given much info of your current strategy or what you see as your leaks its hard to be specific in advice. So to start here's some general tips for you. If you've got all these covered we can look at other things to improve your game.

1. Remember MTT's take several hours always be sure you've got the time to dedicate to the tournament.
2. Ask yourself if your mentally prepared. Being tired, pissed off with your day at work, hungry or feeling unwell aren't a good starting point for thinking clearly.
3. Concentrate on the game if your not involved in a hand watch the other players and make notes on their play.
4. At the 5 minute breaks make sure you get up move around, get some air and swat the fly that you've being trying to ignore flying round the room for the last hour.
5. If you lose a hand note the handnumber to review later, then move on hindsight is for after the tournament not during, you won't help yourself second guessing your play mid tournament.
6. Remember you won't cash every tournament and thats ok
7. Keep well hydrated it helps with concentration
8. Don't get distracted by tv, the wife, dog etc zone in to the game
9. Get quick at working out your outs and odds and pot odds profitable plays are important for going deeper just always remember point 6
10. Have Fun, give yourself a pat on the back when you make good calls, folds etc

Good Luck at the tables

Top 10 Games Poker Tips