Tip: Some RB/A MTTs can reduce rake and increase your profits

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This will depend on the site you play on, so you'll have to check. I play on intertops and it does work on there, so I'll be using it as my example.

Rake will eat into your profits. It might not seem like much when you're paying a 10% buy-in fee, but that adds up in the long run. Lets say you play $3 + .30 MTTs.
  • $3.30 x 100 = $330 [MTT buy-ins]
  • $200 profit
  • ROI = 60.6%
This is a pretty decent result, but you're still paying $30 in rake every 100 MTTs.

If you look at RB+A MTTs, it's possible to find games that are equal in buy-in with less rake. $1 + .10 RB/A, + $1 [rebuy] + $1 add-on = $3 + .10 total buy-in.
  • $3.10 x 100 = $310
  • $200 profit
  • ROI = 64.5%
So, not only does your ROI increase, but you're only paying $10 in MTT fees instead of $30, saving you $20. In 500 MTTs, thats $100 staying in your BR and not going towards fees.

Intertops offers 36% rakeback, which helps with getting some money back on fees spent. We include rake back with the total MTT buy-in cost and not the profits.
  • $300 + ($30 x .36) = $319.2
  • $200 profit
  • ROI = 62.6%
So, we have a slight ROI increase and we get ~$11 back in rake.
  • $300 + ($10 x .36) = $306.4
  • $200 profit
  • ROI = 65.2%
ROI increase is slightly smaller, but we're still paying much less rake overall at $12.8 in fees saved. A .06 rake for a $3 (total buy-in) MTT is insanely good.

If we compare RB/A MTTs to re-entry MTTs, most (if not all) re-entry MTTs will have you pay the entree fee again, which is still 10%. Using the $3+.30 MTT example, if we re-enter twice, our total cost is $6.60, .60 in MTT fees. Compare that to playing a $1+.10 RB/A MTT where you might rebuy, double rebuy and take the add-on and you're paying a total of $1.10 (initial buy-in) + $1 (early rebuy) + $2 (double rebuy) + $1 (add-on) = $5.10 total. To make it even to the re-entry example, lets say it's a double add-on, making your total cost $6.10, saving you .50 in fees while spending the same in buy-in.

As an added bonus, when you play re-entry MTTs, you get the initial starting stack. In some RB/A MTTs, your starting stack might be equal or more/less, but taking the re-buy option will give you double the starting stack. This can be a huge difference at re-entering/rebuying at certain stages of an MTT. You might pay another $3.30 to re-enter with 20 BBs but at the same stage of a RB/A MTT, you pay $2 to sit with 30 BBs, giving you more for less. And, if you take the add-on option, you can get even more for still less.

Understandably, RB/A MTTs can be a bit difficult to play when there can be a lot of players calling off very light since they can always rebuy into the game. This can be seen as a good or a bad thing. Good, because it bloats up the prize pool and gives you great opportunities to double up with a big hand. Of course, the downside is you might lose some all-ins with big hands. But if you can get past the 1st hour or however long the re-buy period is, the rest plays just like a regular MTT. Something I do is late register right before it ends, take the rebuy option, and then add on. This will vary per site, but on Intertops, this gives me ~25 BBs to play with, which is fine.

BRM is so important when playing RB/A MTTs. As a general rule , you can divide your current buy-in (according to your BRM plan) and divide that by 3. So, if you play $1 MTTs, you can play .25-.30 RB/A MTTs without busting the BR with a downswing. This is what works for me (when I do follow BRM), but figure out what works for you.

Always take the re-buy option when you sit down and the double rebuy option if you bust (and decide to keep playing). The reason for this is because if you have an opportunity to double up, you want to do so with as many chips as possible. Doubling up an initial stack of 2K only gives you 2K in return. Doubling up with 4K gives 4K in return. Sitting with an 8K stack is so much better than sitting with a 4K stack. You could practically just coast to the add-on stage and maintain most of your stack, if you wanted.

Finally, I'm not telling anyone they should play RB/A MTTs because that's your option. I understand that some players absolutely hate them and that's cool. I really don't like satellite MTTs, but I understand the potential they have. This is just to provide another look at RB/A MTTs and what they can provide. Play and do what works for you as a player.

Anyway, that's it. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, rake-free rebuys are great. Too sad many sites have started raking rebuys to death.