Tight freeroll strategy, lets see how it goes!

E

Enimen18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I'm sitting in this donkfest freeroll on Americas Cardroom. I'm still not solidified on which type of strategy I think is best for an online freeroll. However I've had some success in the past playing pretty tight. I'm trying it in this tourney, so we will see how it goes.

I was just dealt :qc4::jh4: preflop. Of course someone went all in before my action. I elected to fold. No sense in donking out with Queen high starting hand. I'll continue to sit back and wait. I have an average size stack, as my 2nd hand was :kh4::ks4: and I took down a decent size pot with my opponent folding on the turn. I went from 1,500 in chips to almost 2,400. Haven't been able to play a suitable hand since then.

I'm now at below average stack, but the price you play when you're not willing to go all in preflop with garbage hands. I see an opening. The loosest player at the table folded in front of my. I have :10s4::8s4: Flop comes 10 high. I end up taking down a 1,300 pot. My stack is now above 3K. Dink and dunk. Thats the style I'm pretty good at playing.

Now I get :ac4::kh4: I elect to limp with this in this donkfest. I hit a one card flush with my King. $700 pot is mine. Next hand I limp with KJ offsuit. Argh. Player goes all in preflop for a lot more than I have. Easy fold.

I get AQ offsuit. 4 preflop all ins. Sheesh. I fold, luckily the big stack had AK and I would've lost. Good fold. Tight.

Uh oh. Pocket Queens now. Hope they hold. Wow a one card flush hit and I did not have it, luckily guy folded to my turn bet. Up to 4,500 in chips. Hanging around, hanging around. Kids got alligator blood. Still 157 players left. I'll only tell of my biggest hands for now on.

BTW doing this post reminds me of the book I read by Gus Hansen. He chronicled every single hand he played in a tournament that he won. It's a great book, and I highly recommend it.

Well after the break I lost half my stack in the small blind with 10 3 diamonds. Poorly played. Then I lost to an all in with QJ against 67 diamonds, who hit a flush. Maybe I need to re-think the tight play strategy in freerolls. However I still say real money games are a better type of game to play a more aggressive strategy. It's just so hard to get enough luck to beat the field of loose players in a freeroll if you play loose. On to the next game.

E

Enimen18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best strategy to play freerolls?

So I'm sitting in this donkfest freeroll on Americas Cardroom. I'm still not solidified on which type of strategy I think is best for an online freeroll. However I've had some success in the past playing pretty tight. I'm trying it in this tourney, so we will see how it goes.

I was just dealt :qc4::jh4: preflop. Of course someone went all in before my action. I elected to fold. No sense in donking out with Queen high starting hand. I'll continue to sit back and wait. I have an average size stack, as my 2nd hand was :kh4::ks4: and I took down a decent size pot with my opponent folding on the turn. I went from 1,500 in chips to almost 2,400. Haven't been able to play a suitable hand since then.

I'm now at below average stack, but the price you play when you're not willing to go all in preflop with garbage hands. I see an opening. The loosest player at the table folded in front of my. I have :10s4::8s4: Flop comes 10 high. I end up taking down a 1,300 pot. My stack is now above 3K. Dink and dunk. Thats the style I'm pretty good at playing.

Now I get :ac4::kh4: I elect to limp with this in this donkfest. I hit a one card flush with my King. $700 pot is mine. Next hand I limp with KJ offsuit. Argh. Player goes all in preflop for a lot more than I have. Easy fold.

I get AQ offsuit. 4 preflop all ins. Sheesh. I fold, luckily the big stack had AK and I would've lost. Good fold. Tight.

Uh oh. Pocket Queens now. Hope they hold. Wow a one card flush hit and I did not have it, luckily guy folded to my turn bet. Up to 4,500 in chips. Hanging around, hanging around. Kids got alligator blood. Still 157 players left. I'll only tell of my biggest hands for now on.

BTW doing this post reminds me of the book I read by Gus Hansen. He chronicled every single hand he played in a tournament that he won. It's a great book, and I highly recommend it.

Well after the break I lost half my stack in the small blind with 10 3 diamonds. Poorly played. Then I lost to an all in with QJ against 67 diamonds, who hit a flush. Maybe I need to re-think the tight play strategy in freerolls. However I still say real money games are a better type of game to play a more aggressive strategy. It's just so hard to get enough luck to beat the field of loose players in a freeroll if you play loose. On to the next game.

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think losing half ur stack in the small blind is pretty considerable info, the rest of the hands you need to isolate and 3 bet or get fewer people in the family pots. cant always look at well i made a good fold someone would have sucked out. i mean getting it in bad and sucking out isnt a sign they played it good