Three things that I found that create luck

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a $2000 gdt tournament last night placed 7th due to running out of patience and getting bored watching those who had patience play while I got bad hand after bad hand. I was in second at the final table only about 100,000 behind the chip leader everyone else had between 150-450,000 chips. First two low chip players had finished and there where 7 of use left. They where all extremely tight players with 7-15 vpip the hole game. So they where good players for the stakes we where playing. I had plenty of chips and could have placed 2nd or 3rd had i not lost my patience and just wanted my money and to go to bed. I learned why when i get to chip leader I spew off all my chips I found leaks to fix in my game. I found out i have the potential to be a great player if i continue to improve my game. I found that Three things can create what some call luck.
1. Skill. this is the first thing that creates luck. Skill i made up of several things. One being able to read your opponent by how he has played in the past second by your hand and the community cards and putting it all together to create a story as they say about what you and your opponent has in their hand. If it doesn't match up than you know you have them beat. also being able to tell a different story than what really is true. By this i mean being able to make your opponent think you are strong when weak or weak when your actually strong. Put this all together and it is your skill at poker.

2. Patience. That is very important to develop, without it you can't wait for the good hands to play and you will spill out your chips with bad hands. I found that good players have Patience and can wait to get good hands and don't play poorly and spew off chips that often unless making a bad choice on that hand.

3. Discipline. Highly undervalued quality that most poker players don't think about or realize they need. You need discipline to lay down the hands that your gut and your mind know are beat but most find hard to lay down. Like pocket AA's for most is very hard to lay down if not impossible for some to lay down even thought they know they are beat. Having the discipline to lay down your hands that are strong hands to stay in the game to fight another day is very important in being a winning player.

You put these three things together and they will create LUCK for you. I don't believe In "LUCK". But Some do. I believe if you master these three skills you will be a strong hard to beat poker player. All of use have the building blocks to be a great Poker Player. We will each do this our own way. But these are 3 things if mastered can create the next great poker player.

Let me know what you think about this and if you are working on these three things thanks for taking the time to read my post and create your own luck at the poker tables

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All the 3 "things" you mentioned are very important, and none of them have to do with luck. They don't create luck, they develop a good player. Skill is not for everyone. Luck is just luck, even my 2 year's son can have luck, just by pressing buttons.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Reload...none of the 3 things create luck. What they do is help you deal with variance. Patience and discipline are most important in not playing marginal hands that will most likely bleed chips or learning to fold a good hand when luck has apparently helped your opponent. Skill, on the other hand, helps you extract max value from your good hands when luck shines on you. It also gives you the leg up most folks miss and that's the ability to play a marginal hand from position when you decide to "play" your opponents and steal the blinds or force them to fold after the flop.

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly don't believe in luck

I honestly don't believe in luck that is why I titled my post the way I did because some people believe in luck. I only called it luck so people would better know what i am talking about. I think your skill patience and discipline is what creates a great poker player. If you had to rely on luck to win than no one would win and there would be no rich poker players. If you are a winning poker player than you have developed your skill discipline and patience to where you are good enough to win often enough to make money. Luck is nothing more than your skill discipline and patience developed enough to be a winning player. There really in no such thing as LUCK

T

thefivevowels

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes but sometimes you need to go to the bathroom, smoke a cig you get a text from your angry gf or smth then you lose it all, all ins and boom you're out

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes but sometimes you need to go to the bathroom, smoke a cig you get a text from your angry gf or smth then you lose it all, all ins and boom you're out
That's not bad luck, that's a bad player:p

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I understand what he is saying here. Its not about luck but creating the best opportunities to be a great player. Without these key things, long term you may not be a winning player. They dont create luck but can help you make some luck. What I meant is based on what he said, if smart and disciplined you can fold a hand that you are beat avoiding a bad call when luck was not on your side. You could also tell the story of your great hand and get the other player to fold to your monster hand when you dont have it. His bad luck you hit..... well he thinks its bad luck.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's right, everyone creates his own luck in poker himself. I agree with everything written NeoBandit, Reload. I want to add that in modern poker you need to spend a huge amount of time on constant learning and study the changing trends of the game. And this is not easy.

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discipline,understanding and respecting opponents and most important choosing right spots and right hands are vital elements that seperate good players from Bad ones.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The role of luck in poker is a debate that is still not closed. Several theses clash, but one thing is certain: luck is provoked and you have to know how to get it. There are very different players, which is the charm of this game. On a turn or two, we can say that luck is relatively important. But the better you are, the less chance you have. By practice, you realize that this is not so true.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those are definitely good. Sometimes you have to create your own luck though. Being creative and taking a risk or two always works.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is the most important thing in poker. Discipline is patience. You hold yourself within that and help you make the most informed decisions.

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good mood, lucky socks and my farmer hat :)

B

Benego

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those 3 things every player needs... As far as for the luck, it will be there, or it will not, you need to know how to handle bad beat and how to celebrate good luck :)