Is there postflop play at final tables in tournaments?

crazy_shark

crazy_shark

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't make it to final tables in tournaments very often, but I've noticed that the game basically becomes push/fold. Is this always the case?

ChatGPT's response: "
Yes, there is postflop play on final tables in tournaments. In the final game of a tournament, there are usually a small number of players remaining, and they are more likely to have experience and skills in playing postflop. Players at the final table typically play more cautiously and thoughtfully, considering that each decision can determine their fate in the tournament.

On the final table, players usually adhere to a tighter range of starting hands, which often leads to postflop play. They also take into account stack sizes and the size of the pot, which can affect their decisions after the cards have been dealt.

Therefore, postflop play on the final table of a tournament is very important and often determines the winner of the tournament. Players must have experience and skills in postflop play to have a chance of competing for first place in the tournament."

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent response :) I agree with everything.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
no postflops on hyper tournies tho, always depends on situation lol

W

Wagner Guimaraes Nunes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I agree and really the post-flop is essential.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think we still have postflop normally if there are not many players having short stacks. But if most of player stacks are shallow, push/fold strategy is used mostly because it is simple but still effective. Another reason is that the players having big stacks want to play aggressive because the players having medium stacks have to play tighter so they can steal the blinds or just gamble and lost a few chips.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends a lot on the structure of the tournament. In a turbo or hyper turbo the average stack on the final table will usually be very short, and that leads to a lot of push-fold poker. But in tournaments with regular speed blinds, and especially those, where the structure is on the slow side, you might see an average stack size of 40-50 BB, which leads to a lot of postflop play. An example of this are the tournaments labeled "deep stacks" on pokerstars. This also mean, that even with a small field of 200-300 players, such a tournament lasts around 6 hours.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with an average stack of 20 bb or more there will be a lot of postflop play, however with a shorter average stack it will be most likely a push/shove game

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's us fold with stack size is less than 10BB. Otherwise one can play postflop on final table.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It really depends on the table structure of the event you are in. I recently played two small tournaments and got heads up in both of them. The first one we had about 18 big blinds apiece at one point the average stack at the final table was about 7 big blinds. The second one when we got heads up both me and my opponent had over 70 big blinds each and this one finished over an hour quicker. How many times final tables do you have some post flop play but like I said, it really just depends on the tournament and the structure and you just never know.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Ow where you are in respect to pressure form danger zone, pick your spot very tightly, as you’ll be punished for your mistakesand as hard as it mypay seem, don’t pipit your neck out to knock a short stack or an aggressive villain unless you go to the goods. I folded QQ the other day on the bubble on the BTN to a shove from UTG, he had like 88 or something, MP an example CO folded, SB and BB both threw in. AK, AK and donkey chip leaders 88. He knocked em both out, into the moment and I ended up winning later, I’d have lost by the way as both blinds hit K but leader rivered a straight of something... no, quagpds lol... straight was somewhere else I think. Cash maybe I folded like JJ or something, pre flop when crazy with repops. Sat back and watched and the monster (that’s I remember now lol) monster 675 stack got quads against AA and QQ, QQ got a boat I’d have had a straight or something. ..... Dodged dumping 230ish bb, I lost about 30

Dom then let any other player make you plat their game, nake whoever your in lot with play yours,example would be pre flop raising, there are many players that will open large android barrel larger just because you if you follow that GTO nonsense you have to fold. It’s even worse if they hit and your drawing or hit with improbable continuation... but them you get, pot bet??. And ten another nad mis and the donkey gets another pair or he out kicks you just... was it’s worth the over the top call? If you don’t cal, he does gain and had to reel their neck in or finally get caught out. I played a first hand when I check call with the nuts flopped in a £25 9man. He literally jammed the river,I couldn’t believe it lol. Then another at the table to my right, bet, bet and jammed.... I won that to or came second lol. But still the contrast and donkeyfishh we need lol

Last edited:
Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there will be a few players who have a bigger stack even on the final table so they will have postflop play

only the shorter stacks are mostly push or fold at that point

when only 3-4 players are remaining there is a lot of post flop play but often it is also blind stealing too