Swapping action in tournaments

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have a group of friends with whom you swap action? Last weekend my dad and I were playing a live MTT and were both at the same table when it was down to 2 tables, and since we had a similar stack size and were nearing the bubble, we decided if one of us cashed and one didn’t, we would split 75/25%. He ended up getting 5th and I barely missed out on the cash in 11th, but with our stack sizes it could have been either of us. I know there are pros who do this and it got me thinking about how swapping action may be a way to increase profitability and reduce variance. Anyone already do this or interested?

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had never really thought of that. It wouldn't interest me much. I would only make a deal with someone prior to starting a big payday type tourney personally.

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah sorry i mostly mean before a tournament. Like if you and a friend of similar skill level both play in a series of tournaments, maybe agree beforehand to split earnings

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always just played for myself with people I know in MTT. All though the one with most winnings buys dinner.

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, I keep all the winnings to myself! Mostly because I don't know anyone else irl who plays poker, but even if I did I don't think I would split

S

SlavaUa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I even do not think about it, i live in a small village maybe alone playing PS)))

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Winner takes it all! Just imagine you play against somebody who can go all-in easily, because his pal will be his backup.
:heeeellllAbsolutely NOGO!

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play alone, I don't have friends playing near, but if you think about it, to friends play together, it can be one type of collusion, i don't feel confortable to play against two players, who can call at the same time an allin, there are no importance of who will win, is like play with one play with two hands, this will have many implications in the way of playing and in the strategies, anyway, we will be at a disadvantage most of the time.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If anyone you were playing with wanted to make a case for collusion I believe they could. This might get you into a situation that would get you banned...

Personally, based off your post, that doesn't seem to be your motive, and your just looking out for the people close to you. To the contrary if anyone over heard you saying that, and went to a pit boss. That could spell the end for you and your father at that poker room....

with that said, my wife and I play live tournaments a lot, enough that the dealers, and the regulars know us. Quite often we get seated at the same table, and we play a fair game. I've even busted her out a few time. So they know we don't collude. On the other hand they also know she is my wife, and the money that can be won is going to the same place. So we have to be careful when it comes to communication when unknown players are at the table.