Sunday Storm Strategy/Tips for Beginners

B

BadBeatPkr50

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Everyone.

I am considering to play in the Sunday Storm on pokerstars this week (and future weeks its a 5.50 buy in when I have the day off). I am wondering if there was any tips, strategies, or ideas on how to practice/prepare for the Sunday Storm for a player who is entering it for the first time or as a beginner for that particular event on Pokerstars.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think, it makes sense to talk about specific strategies for a specific tournament. This is a 5,5$ tournament, so just play, like you would in other 5,5$ tournaments. The most important thing is to realise, that a tournament with a huge price pool relative to the buyin will also attract a huge field. The structure of these "major" tournaments is also slow, so it might last for 10 hours or even more. And this you obviously need to be prepared for. It makes no sense to buy in, if you have to leave or sleep after 4 hours. Preparing food and drinks in advance is also a good idea.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here are a few tips:

** Look to chip up early by making strong hands and value betting them with deep stacks

** Play draws aggressively in heads-up pots to get fold equity

** Since blind levels are shorter, shove and 3-bet shove with a wide range once the effective stack gets under 20bb.

Good luck!

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The most advisable thing is to play more in position and outside it with premium cards and especially with a lot of patience since it is a tournament that lasts for many hours

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a very common question. A lot of players are taking a shot at a bigger tournament, and expect a magical formula because of which they need to completely switch up their game to beat these new stakes.

There's no such thing, if you play a solid strategy just stick to your regular game. Ofcourse, players at different stakes may tend to make certain mistakes more or less. But as always you need to adjust to this as you go and collect more data (through a hud for example). If not, just play your basic strategy and you should be completely fine. Approach this game as you would any other :)

The only specific tip I could give has to do with the structure of the storm. It's a long grind, so make sure you're well rested and got some food prepared to put in a long session. Good luck mate, and let us know how you go!

B

BadBeatPkr50

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a very common question. A lot of players are taking a shot at a bigger tournament, and expect a magical formula because of which they need to completely switch up their game to beat these new stakes.

There's no such thing, if you play a solid strategy just stick to your regular game. Ofcourse, players at different stakes may tend to make certain mistakes more or less. But as always you need to adjust to this as you go and collect more data (through a hud for example). If not, just play your basic strategy and you should be completely fine. Approach this game as you would any other :)

The only specific tip I could give has to do with the structure of the storm. It's a long grind, so make sure you're well rested and got some food prepared to put in a long session. Good luck mate, and let us know how you go!

Well a quick finish because Pokerstars had to do me extremely dirty.

Blinds: 80/160 Ante:16
Me: [Ad,As]
Opponent: [Jh, Th]

Flop comes Qs, Ah, 9h

I Check. Opponent bets 800
I Bet 1,600
Opponent raises to 3,251
I shove all in (for 11,960)
Opponent calls (All in for 11,326)

Turn comes up 2h (Of All the cards it had to be the deuce)

River comes 7d

Thanks to Pokerstars I got knocked out in Extremely Brutal fashion (practically because i had less than 4BB Afterwards):mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I find it very difficult to cash in Sunday Storm, today we have 32000 players and ITM is 5300 . You need a lot of luck to even minicash .

I am still in it now, but short stacked so I guess I need a miracle to cash here.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, this event will never be of great interest! Because of the large number of weaker players can be at tight aggressive play often cashed but to get that something serious should be a lot of luck!

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Update:
Just went out with QQ vs AK A on the river of course. And we were maybe 30 minutes from ITM .......

B

BadBeatPkr50

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Update:
Just went out with QQ vs AK A on the river of course. And we were maybe 30 minutes from ITM .......

Yikes... That's really unfortunate for sure especially being so close to the money.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I also tried to get in via many satellites for this half buyin Sunday Storm , I regret it now . I should have bought in directly and play it this event , not try 1000 satellites and in the end not playing it . Limped QQ UTG , Bb shoves 15 blinds with 1010 , call , straight on the board 10 high , sick I feel ...I have played it at least 2 times , played many satellits but lost , I have to try more times in the future . Can't advice you the best way to play , cause I really don't know lol . Last time I was very afraid to call, shove , etc , got almost blinded out , this is not the way to play it , many play aggressively this tournament
Ofcourse for the Sunday Million mega satellite I tried , no results , but no complaints either , did my best but I was card dead .

Poker Tips