Suggestion on ways to combat "Big Stack Bullies"

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That aren't Just the Big Stack @ the table, nearing bubble and/or FT, but also 80%Aggression postflop on flop and If need be willing to triple barrel us when we're on a stack of 15-40BBs vs them and are the SS In the entire game?

I ask this question because I figured the best way to combat these types was to flat pre more often rather than 3bet more vs them and only 3bet our nutted ranges but flatting pre and whiffing flops also kills our stack and folding kills our stack @ this stage of the tourney, so what Is way to combat these types?

C

cbrig6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am very interested to hear others feed back on this matter as well. I usually end up picking my moment to make a stand which almost always a bust or double up. I play probability but sometimes they violate the laws of probability and would love another way to play these guys.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to be carefull. He is more careless so he will call your bluffs most of the time. So bluffs are not recommended. Play just premium hands. Not saying to fold all the time. You need to throw occasionall 3 bet and play occasional hand.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
trying to deal with the big stack is not easy, they always make a lot of pressure, when I have the opportunity to attack I do it, I try to play very safe and I try to make him fall into the trap

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The one thing good about big stack bullies is the are also willing to give you there chips. If you just wait for a big hand even they will see you are not playing much and fold. If you have 20 BB or less and there is ante's in play you should take calculated risk vs this type of player. I will shove over there raises with pocket pairs 66 or better, Ak-A8s and Ak-ATo, KQ and KJ suited and off. and QJs. When you think of all the junk they are raising even QJ is ahead of a lot of there raising range, If they want to call you with 98o so be it but you will win 2 out of 3 times and that great. If you have a bigger stack you may have to play them post flop but again there range is so wide if the play QJs and say the flop is Q85 rainbow you may have to call them down with top pair. Its not easy but it does help. You will look like a fool at time when they have the hand but overall it will help you.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never figured anything but what the previous poster said. Since I never play to just get into the money I've never given it much thought : I'm either gonna make them fold, double-up, or bust out.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The one thing good about big stack bullies is the are also willing to give you there chips. If you just wait for a big hand even they will see you are not playing much and fold. If you have 20 BB or less and there is ante's in play you should take calculated risk vs this type of player. I will shove over there raises with pocket pairs 66 or better, Ak-A8s and Ak-ATo, KQ and KJ suited and off. and QJs. When you think of all the junk they are raising even QJ is ahead of a lot of there raising range, If they want to call you with 98o so be it but you will win 2 out of 3 times and that great. If you have a bigger stack you may have to play them post flop but again there range is so wide if the play QJs and say the flop is Q85 rainbow you may have to call them down with top pair. Its not easy but it does help. You will look like a fool at time when they have the hand but overall it will help you.

Pretty much spot on although I think most would say in the under 10 to 15bb range we want to start open shoving lots of hands. BUT I get your point and like the way you presented how to play back, obviously if we have 20bbs and they have 200bbs we're no threat so I like how you rationalize how we can get it in ahead a lot and take the chips they're eager to use to pressure. The big stack's range, when played properly is going to be wider and wider as their stack grows and if we get too tiny (i.e under 10 bigs) then we're not even a blip and they'll call off even wider.

I also think playing back when deeper against them is even more effective esp if we flat their calls when deeper (like having least half their stack) because we can hit a set or big hand, let them c-bet then get their chips!

K

KielBasaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I typically use all-ins more aggressively and shove in spots where I might not nessically want to get called, but it wouldnt be that bad if I did. I shove a lot of hands short stacked but you have to pick the right position and opponent. If ive seen a guy called ridiulous shoves w J6 off im not going to shove against this guy, until I want him to call me. which if you have been shoving a lot of hands he will much more willingly. Its just about picking oppenents and situations where you know others are weak. Sometimes obviosly your oppenent will have an actual hand and you bust but you have to build you chips or get blinded out:icon_tong​