Successful Freerroll Strategy

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok

I agree you can totally learn poker skills from freerolls. That was not my point - my opinion was that if you are looking to grow a bankroll and aspire to make money from poker, than freerolls are a waste of time. You could be playing other games that require the same skill set but you will have the chance to win much more money than you will winning some of the better freerolls. My conclusion is that your time is worth something - so rather than play hours for a minimal prize - invest in yourself and chase a prize pool worth playing for.
I fully agree with you that you need to invest in yourself and play a little more limits! But what to do for those who do not yet have the opportunity to make a deposit? I think playing freerrols can learn a little something and build a little bankroll!

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you

patience and luck are key.. but know that a lot of people will knock each other out by simply no discipline
Well, I don't think that only luck and patience will help win)))) still have some skills to attend))))

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fully agree with you that you need to invest in yourself and play a little more limits! But what to do for those who do not yet have the opportunity to make a deposit? I think playing freerrols can learn a little something and build a little bankroll!

If you cannot make a deposit then you are playing on the wrong site or simply do not aspire to make much $$ from poker. If you are happy not having an initial investment and making $20‐$30 at a time for winning a tournament -- then freerolls are fine. If your goal is to build a bankroll from nothing - than freerolls are for you.

I am just saying in my own personal opinion if you seek to make some extra money from poker - then micro stakes will be much more worth your time than freerolls. Using ACR as an example, micros can at least offer $100+ payouts for first place regularly and when we break it down from a business perspective - then time is money and we want to generate the most $$ for the time it takes to win a tournament.

So for me, I'd rather grind 5-7 hours for the chance to win $300+ from a typical $1.65 on ACR vs grinding that long to win $20-$30.

The obvious difference is whether or not you are willing to make a deposit on the site(s) of your choice and for me if you are unwilling to give yourself an investment in the form of a starting bankroll - then you do not have serious aspirations of making that kind of money from poker. Yes - you can get serious with freerolls and grind them night and day to build your roll from them and move up - it just takes longer to do such a thing because of the normal variance involved in tournament poker.

At the end of the day, its all about what you want from poker. My personal opinion is if you just enjoy it and want to have fun - then play freerolls or throw a deposit on of what you are willing to lose and grind away -- but on the flip side, if you want to take poker seriously and generate some extra cash from it, then understand what that is going to take, invest in the tools needed and a startup bankroll - then just grind it out and play for prizes worth your time. Plus, I know alot of sites will not let you make a withdrawal unless you have made at least one deposit. I havnt looked into this in quite a long time but it used to be like this on almost every site.

Poker is all about making good decisions and building good habits. Making adjustments in games is normal - but a consistent freeroll environment is one that typically does not build good habits and most players are not disciplined enough to stick to good strategy in such environments. Truth be told, micros aren't much different at all - so the point of this little ramble is to conclude that freerolls CAN be a place to learn to play good poker for sure - just as a player, YOU need to practice good strategy and discipline. Picking up bad habits and deviating from a good strategy will not help you move up through the ranks.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I don't think there is a defined strategy for a freeroll, I think that each person plays it as they see fit, there are some who play all in-fold, others play only premium hands, but it also depends on each freeroll, for example those of CC are excellent to put into practice all the knowledge you have because there is an excellent level of play, the players are more serious, another freeroll that I find with a level of play to apply strategies is level 60 and 80 in 888poker, but I think it will depend what tournament is it and how they are playing at the table you are at

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you cannot make a deposit then you are playing on the wrong site or simply do not aspire to make much $$ from poker. If you are happy not having an initial investment and making $20‐$30 at a time for winning a tournament -- then freerolls are fine. If your goal is to build a bankroll from nothing - than freerolls are for you.

I am just saying in my own personal opinion if you seek to make some extra money from poker - then micro stakes will be much more worth your time than freerolls. Using ACR as an example, micros can at least offer $100+ payouts for first place regularly and when we break it down from a business perspective - then time is money and we want to generate the most $$ for the time it takes to win a tournament.

So for me, I'd rather grind 5-7 hours for the chance to win $300+ from a typical $1.65 on ACR vs grinding that long to win $20-$30.

The obvious difference is whether or not you are willing to make a deposit on the site(s) of your choice and for me if you are unwilling to give yourself an investment in the form of a starting bankroll - then you do not have serious aspirations of making that kind of money from poker. Yes - you can get serious with freerolls and grind them night and day to build your roll from them and move up - it just takes longer to do such a thing because of the normal variance involved in tournament poker.

At the end of the day, its all about what you want from poker. My personal opinion is if you just enjoy it and want to have fun - then play freerolls or throw a deposit on of what you are willing to lose and grind away -- but on the flip side, if you want to take poker seriously and generate some extra cash from it, then understand what that is going to take, invest in the tools needed and a startup bankroll - then just grind it out and play for prizes worth your time. Plus, I know alot of sites will not let you make a withdrawal unless you have made at least one deposit. I havnt looked into this in quite a long time but it used to be like this on almost every site.

Poker is all about making good decisions and building good habits. Making adjustments in games is normal - but a consistent freeroll environment is one that typically does not build good habits and most players are not disciplined enough to stick to good strategy in such environments. Truth be told, micros aren't much different at all - so the point of this little ramble is to conclude that freerolls CAN be a place to learn to play good poker for sure - just as a player, YOU need to practice good strategy and discipline. Picking up bad habits and deviating from a good strategy will not help you move up through the ranks.
I am very glad that you devote so much time to this post! I'm really glad! I really liked your point of view, and it is probably correct and logical! I'll listen to her! Good luck at the tables)))

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there is a defined strategy for a freeroll, I think that each person plays it as they see fit, there are some who play all in-fold, others play only premium hands, but it also depends on each freeroll, for example those of CC are excellent to put into practice all the knowledge you have because there is an excellent level of play, the players are more serious, another freeroll that I find with a level of play to apply strategies is level 60 and 80 in 888poker, but I think it will depend what tournament is it and how they are playing at the table you are at
I fully agree with you! Freerrols CC are the best freerrols! They feel like players thinking!