STT or MTT

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your trying to improve your game overall what would you say is best. Im not sure STTs i guess you will finish in the money more than you would a MTT with 100+ players.
Naturally the lless people you have to get past the easier it should be to win a tournament.
But I have played 25c games and the players are really nitty folding all the time, where in a MTT you do get a lot more fish who call on mediocre cards. Be nice to see what other people think..

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, single table SnGs (STTs) are good for practicing. You basically start at the final table, so you get a lot of experience with shorthanded play and payjumps, which you can use, when you run deep in an MTT. For most of us, we can also not always devote 4-5-6 hours to poker, and then STTs are ideal for filling in those gaps, where the only alternative would be to play cash games or do something completely different from poker.

That being said in my experience it is easier to be profitable in small and medium sized MTTs, so you should play those as well to get further experience and build your bankroll. On pokerstars I am a big fan of the 45 man SnGs for practicing, but on other sites you will need to go in the tournament lobby.

R

Roachor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just started playing 45 man. Really like them. Plan is to build a rol with them. They have a nice mtt feel and get to practice all aspects of an mtt. Plan is to move over to 90 and 180 man once I get a bit higher br.. Then add in mtts when I'm comfortable with the others.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally prefer MTTs over STT but if you haven't got much time STTs can be good. Like someone said it's essentially a final table so you get to learn short handed and heads up play more often

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
STTs are better in my opinion since you will learn push/fold strategy faster than you would in an MTT. Tournament poker will inevitably come down to how good you are at playing a short stack. STTs will give you the most practice in this area. I wouldnt shy away from playing MTTs, as in my opinion they are much more fun, just saying that if you really are looking to learn STTs are probably better.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Mtt you get more information about the players who play with you at the table because these tournaments last for 8 or 12 hours. During a later stage, you know the style of game most people are left in the tournament.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest to practice MTT - because MTTs are where the money is and this format you will play most of the time for profit. It also includes donks and newbies and they are a part of a MTT c0cktail and will help you to sail further.

Small tournaments with approx. 200 player base is a way to go or perhaps even smaller, if you feel like complete newcomer :)

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have won the $2.50 180 player MTT once when they use to get full $8 180 player MTTs on pokerstars i actually won that twice as a novice. Sometimes i get into that zone where every move you make is correct and other times its wrong. I guess thats the learning curve hopefully I can iron out these mistakes and crack on.

luckyou

luckyou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This depends on your starting bankroll. If you have $300 I would advice mixing Pokerstars with another site like 888. If you start out with a bankroll of $100 it might be better to either play another site then Pokerstars for softer and smaller fields or play STT on Pokerstars.
With the new tournament schedule on Pokerstars it’s great for grinding the micros but the fields are usually quite big in all tournaments and there are way more turbos and hypers then before that have a super high variance leaving Pokerstars as a good alternative.