Strategy Over the Course of a Tourney

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still fairly new to online poker since I've only been playing a few months. I've finished top five in a few freeroll tourneys but I'd like to build a bankroll faster and am hoping it's reasonable to think I can win these more often. I've been playing tight at the beginning to slowly build a healthier stack then I've been opening up hands I'm willing to play like suited connectors. I still feel like there are other long-term strategies I should employ or at least be aware of. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best advice I would give you is get to know your opponents and pick the right spot to make moves.

Playing tight is always a good thing if you start, but observing along the way is crucial.

example: that guy always raises me when I'm Big Blind as I'm really tight so I will defend with lower cards that I'm used to.

There's no shortcut to build a bankroll. Practice, read, practice, study, practice. You'll made it with hard work. Nothing else.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can easy impliment suited connectors to your strategy.

But its very situational.
You should not enter in pots with suited connectors unless your in good position
like co and bnt.
You should not enter with them in reraised pots, as you will most likely be up gainst
mid to big pairs.
You should not play suited connectors if you have below 40 bb, there wont be enough stack
to play them right.

If you dont know pot odds, you should learn it, knowing when to fold and when to call on
draws will give you a possetive ev ;)

This is just my opinion :D

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice. I have noticed it helps a ton to study your opponents' tendencies. It sucks when it whisks me away to another table right after I've got a decent read on em though.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't think of the game and how you could win faster. Poker is a long term game and you need to remember this. I have twice gone of 30 games without a cash. Most was 35. I have also won 2 tournaments in a row. If you look up even top professional players you will see them with long chunks of time without a win or big score. Just keep on working on your game and the results will come.

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can start using the bubble to your advantage and start using ICM pressure as well on the other opponents, rather than being a victim of both. Study a bit about them and you'll be much more comfortable and start making a few more chips

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JAM every hand blind with no hesitation.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best advice I would give you is get to know your opponents and pick the right spot to make moves.

Playing tight is always a good thing if you start, but observing along the way is crucial.

example: that guy always raises me when I'm Big Blind as I'm really tight so I will defend with lower cards that I'm used to.

There's no shortcut to build a bankroll. Practice, read, practice, study, practice. You'll made it with hard work. Nothing else.

That is absolutely brilliant advice, spot-on!
Your strategy so far sounds pretty good to me but I believe you should go into every tournament prepared to change your strategy and adjust your style throughout. React to your table, use position, stack sizes, blind sizes, etc and reads like the example above to your advantage.
Playing tight in the early stages is almost always correct, the blinds are small so less worth stealing and there are a lot of loose players around (in the freerolls at least) who can luck out and hurt you . However, studying post-flop strategy will help you win bigger pots and lose smaller pots when you do have cards worth playing. Theories like the squeeze play, the semi-bluff and the check-raise are a few examples of useful tools.
Learning how to play and react to others when on the bubble is important. Also, an understanding of pot odds, $ equity/chip equity and ICM as well as calculating outs and draw odds are essential for long term success in tournament poker.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankrolls come and go. Be more focused on bankroll management, experience and knowledge.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You might want to also consider playing sit and gos as they are always available and take less time. They are a bit different, strategy wise, to regular tourneys but you want to be pretty tight at the start and let people go out without risking your tourney life in marginal situations. I'k trying to become a winning player in sit and gos to help build a bank roll for tourneys.

Ebsonip

Ebsonip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is recommended that you go slowly and always without risking too much. You do so look at your bankroll whenever you have 20x or more of the tournament amount you can go, but if you live poker you have to have at least 200x

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's worth playing, it's worth studying and learning.

How are you studying to learn?

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early stage the aim is to win chips with our very strong hands and at the same time avoid marginal situations as far as possible.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing online poker since 2013 and have not yet learned many of the basic strategies, you need to learn a lot to win something

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in multi-table tournaments like making love.
You are not in a hurry at first, but towards the end you show who the bad boy is.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
some advice may be do not risk it if it is not necessary, try to play very safe and follow your instinct, try to analyze your opponents as best you can, try to make your normal game, do not hurry with the plays because that can make you affect badly

C

ChipCommander

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is recommended that you go slowly and always without risking too much. You do so look at your bankroll whenever you have 20x or more of the tournament amount you can go, but if you live poker you have to have at least 200x

Thank you for the information about the 200x roll. That is pretty interesting. I always thought most recommendations didn't really support the fluctuations that are likely with long term play. Is the 200x suggestion from personal experience? Also is the cost of your average tournament that you play?

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing tight is always the best strategy, (to make the money), but, if you want to make the final table, pick a spot (or two) to go all in, because having a power stack is needed before the blinds go big.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play a little loose while the blinds are cheap and you're learning more about your table. Once they go up start getting tighter and playing against the individual people at your table. Try to steal blinds as often as you can. And don't bluff too aggressively if you get called since most of the time players are straightforward enough to only call when they have something.

Ebsonip

Ebsonip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the information about the 200x roll. That is pretty interesting. I always thought most recommendations didn't really support the fluctuations that are likely with long term play. Is the 200x suggestion from personal experience? Also is the cost of your average tournament that you play?

The 200x suggestion is very good for those who want to stay active and have a good chance to recover, I do more at Spin & GO. The tournaments I do most are free because I play more just for fun.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some great advice in this thread. I would add to what has been said before that playing tight early on makes sense but eventually the blinds will force your hand. And that is when emotion can sneak up on you and color your judgement.

There are many considerations to think about...others here have mentioned several. The one I think you should have near the top of the list is patience. I don't mean folding and waiting for the good hand. I mean take your time on every single hand to think through your decision. Don't be so quick to hit the fold button. When blind pressure starts nibbling at your brain the habit of taking your time to think may just allow some of the earlier advice to help you make a good decision.