Strategies for the second half of the tournament

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I stand in a phase of a tournament where more and more people are under 10BB, I am having trouble with strategy.

I calculate the CSI and play as usual if there is room, and then "push or fold" when the value drops below 5.
I don't know how to deal with "push of the fold" from players with low CSI when I can afford it.

※I'm still a beginner and my English is not very good, so I'm sorry if I'm saying something strange.
Please lend me your wisdom.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing games where alot of the middling and later stages are going to be played very short stacked - you need to work with a tool called icmizer. It will get your pushing ranges and calloff ranges dialed in so you can navigate these shorter stacks properly.

Push fold charts will tell you whether or not it is a profitable shove - but icmizer will show you HOW profitable such a play is and that is your difference maker.

Charts have shoves for 15bb and lower while PIO solver has NO open shoves off of a 15bb stack - just alot of raise-call offs and alot of raise-folds. So there is some strategy to be had playing short stacked. There's alot of info on it if you do some digging into it. I hope this is helpful

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I stand in a phase of a tournament where more and more people are under 10BB, I am having trouble with strategy.

I calculate the CSI and play as usual if there is room, and then "push or fold" when the value drops below 5.
I don't know how to deal with "push of the fold" from players with low CSI when I can afford it.

※I'm still a beginner and my English is not very good, so I'm sorry if I'm saying something strange.
In the late phase, it is very important that you are the first to enter the game with as tight a player as possible in the big blind. These factors are much more important than the cards in your hand. Therefore, we will not give standard charts for this and later stages: almost all decisions that you make at this stage are opponent-dependent. This doesn't mean you have to play something like 64 from early position. You still have to adhere to certain standards as there are still many players sitting behind you. In the late stage, playing small pockets and low suited connectors is even less profitable than in the middle. Avoid entering the pot with hands like this if someone else has already entered the pot.On the button and small blind, it's a different story. If no one else has entered the game before you and the blinds are passive and unwilling to play marginal hands, you should raise almost 100% of your hands. Do this until the blinds start to fight back on a regular basis. Single cases of reraises do not count - they also sometimes get a good card. Postflop play at this stage is absent as a class. If you find yourself on the flop, the decision is very simple: if there is top pair or better, it is all-in, if it is not, it is folded. If you steal and get called, then as a preflop aggressor, you can go all-in with a second pair or better, as well as a flush draw. Reduce your preflop raises to 2.5 big blinds if you haven't already. We do not recommend making raises below the size. At higher limits, mini-raising is common, but at micro-limits it is usually mistaken for weakness.

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best strategy for the second half of the tournament is to eliminate the remaining players :)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Full Playlist for Tournaments -->

Starter Course --> http://mastertournamentpoker.com (also free)

Hope you find them helpful, good luck on the tables!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

I looked at your statistics and saw that you have just started playing, at least according to statistics you have only 102 tournaments on the pokerstars website, which is very little to draw any conclusions !!!
In my understanding, if I have less than 10-15bb in regular tournaments, 15-20bb in turbo and hyper-turbo and 15-20bb in knockout tournaments, then this is already a push-fold (I do not expect 5bb, because this is too much few) !!!