Staying cool under the bubble?

N

ndarragh91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any tips for staying cool under the bubble? I always find myself getting involved in things despite telling myself not to.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any tips for staying cool under the bubble? I always find myself getting involved in things despite telling myself not to.
don't be afraid to play the bubble if you have hands to play on the bubble. if you bust on the bubble, who cares? assuming you follow good bankroll management, are you really that upset if you give up 1 buy-in in pursuit of a higher cash finish?

...but players have different goals and if the bubble is important to you and you don't want to risk busting out from the table before it breaks, then just sit out and walk away from the game for a few minutes until it pops. no risk, no worry.

Iggykiddo

Iggykiddo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what you want to do. Your goal is to get ITM and atleast min cash? Then play tight.

If your goal is to win the tournament, you dont have to care about the bubble so much. Depends on stack size and blind structures of course.

I wont see myself folding AA/KK preflop because im on the hard bubble.

I mean, I do respect ICM because of laddering on final steps. But no, idc about the bubble so much.

N

ndarragh91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still fairly new to poker so my first goal is to start making the money, then from there I can increase my goals to winning tournaments.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience and patience again my friend. I also did not pay attention, but after I began to take it more calmly, with the understanding that I would have to play for several hours. I began to go through this stage.
I also noticed that some players simply disconnect and enter the game again after the test.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends how big stack you have. If you are 50BB or more deep you can continue to play normally near bubble just avoiding confrontation with similar stacks to your. Even if you loose 15 or 20 BB from player with lower stack you will still have enough chips to get to the money. If you are short stack though it is much better to wait and try to make it into the money. Many people underestimate the value of min cash but usually the pay jump on bubble is bigger than many of the next pay jump levels. For example on the hot 0.55$ MTT which i play on pokerstars usually payout starts from 0.88$ and you need to get into top 15% to get there. Next time when you get 0.88$ payjump is if you get into top 3% which is deep run.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips

Staying cool etc is so boring. Turning into Rage Monster much better option :cool:

L

ledris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just sit out when you are under the bubble or try play only the monsters offensively!

Andrey FRIFIN

Andrey FRIFIN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the bubble you need to understand that it would be good to play well, or continue to play well until the real prizes)

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that you get tempted.
There could be several different remedies from this. One might be to start your own religious belief and if you can refuse from temptations, believe that one day you will play the paradise of a Final table! :)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bubble

It'll be not conscious of a bubble and play as usual.

If one is short stack, You'll squeeze a hand.

F

freeisfun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have fragile stack under 25bb you should be very tight and don't battle with table chip leader just because they are opening up very loose.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because it looks like you can get ITM by paying blinds doesn't mean its +EV to do so. Go all in and lose you lose your buy in. Go all in and double up once then you can just pay blinds from there and make more than double your buy in. Double up a second time and how much can you make?

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of players fold or all-in under bubble, stay cool or not depend on your stacks.

A rich man always not fear to lose some money. :saint:

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bubble is not a big deal. Just fold your very bottom from your range. You most likely need 2-6% more equity. Play tight. But not very tight. You can do the same things, but with less hands. A little bit less..
If your have a mid stack, stay away from other mid stacks and the chipleader. Avoid All in situations without very strong hand. Avoid postflop confrontation with borderline equity. Play "small ball" against them. If they are pretty crazy, just wait for good hand or for the end of the bubble.
If you are a chipleader , play aggro, but do not go crazy. The ICM is also for you. But smaller factor.

The "tanking" is a good thing. Do it! :D But if you have a big stack, no aggro big stacks on your table, then play normal.

Last edited:
Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would recommend playing more tight before the bubble. Otherwise, you will not receive a reward for the hours spent. Pay attention not only to your stack, but also to the player with the lowest stack.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, the best advice is to try to slow down your game and to maximize your time if you really need prizes. if the bankroll is rubber, then you can behave more aggressively. but again, it depends on many factors. from your stack, from stacks of opponents at the table and tournament structure

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep calm? Just play your game. That's all!)