The Squeeze (lower limits)

W

Weicester

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there my fellow poker addicts,

After a 4 year break I started playing tournament poker again. I noticed some slight changes in the way people play, but the biggest thing I noticed is that the so called squeeze play has become incredibly ineffective. In every tournament where I've tried it (in the later stages) people call me off with AQo, AJo, sometimes even worse, while having a pretty tight table image and when there's really no reason to call off that amount of their stack at that point in the tournament with those kind of hands. I think it has something to do with people shoving with all kinds of medium or lower pairs, but even in that case they're still taking a coinflip they will lose more often than they will win it.

Has anyone experienced the same? What do you think about it?

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your whole point is that you are talking about the lower limits, people will call alot of strange all in situations, they dont need to risk it but they have AJo so why shouldnt they call, table image, you have one but it dont matter because they have AJo
even if the opponents are thinking about your image in the lower limits i have found there are so many people that dont care and will just play there own hand because its the best they have had in a while, or they just think that its good, and in my experience its why there is so much more varience in the lower limits,

I think its harder to outplay an opponent, and you will lose more flips because even if you have a 70% advantage, you make the same flip 3 times in 1 tournament your going to get hurt, but i feel that you only need to rely on the flips at specific times and thats when ABC poker is failing you and its time for a double up, i dont go for risky calls when a player has half my stack as it wont help me as much as it will cripple me if i lose it, and then think about the tournament timings, because there will be specific windows you can get free chips just because they run scared and are afraid to put more money in the pot

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now all poker such, well can be except for very high limits. Any ACE, any pocket pair is played on all the streets, you can only get to drop a beat on the head (joke))), but as we say "in every joke there is a share of a joke." In General, these are the realities of poker, because of the cuts in tournaments in favor turboveg, you have to play more loose and wide open.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The lower limit mtts are certainly a little crazy at times. I agree, there does seem to be a lot more folks playing with a wider shoving range than I recall. Seems they got lucky once and expect it to happen again. I've adapted by opening small and folding to most shoves pre-flop. Post flop is a different story but I'm still careful. I seem to see a lot of post flop big bets countered by a shove....it's a zoo out there.

W

Weicester

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The lower limit mtts are certainly a little crazy at times. I agree, there does seem to be a lot more folks playing with a wider shoving range than I recall. Seems they got lucky once and expect it to happen again. I've adapted by opening small and folding to most shoves pre-flop. Post flop is a different story but I'm still careful. I seem to see a lot of post flop big bets countered by a shove....it's a zoo out there.

Zoo full of donkey's and monkey's? :p

I'll keep your advice in mind though.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
low limat mtts

Yes ,post flop can be crazy. UTG raises 3bb+ and gets 6 callers behind him. Good luck to AK
suited when you can't eliminate any one pre flop. They call any 2 suited cards, any off suit one gapers, Any 2 broadway cards. Any connected cards down to 54 offsuit. If you can get your hand through that kind of mind field ,your stack will be pretty healthy. They don't care
mid pair with Ace kicker, top pair no kicker bottom pair with gut shot. You name it ,they just want to get their stack in if their is any chance they can win if they catch the card they need.:confused:

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing about low limits is a lot of players tend to think in only one dimension. What do I have? They don't think about what the players before have done or after them might do. Keep making good decisions and the results will take care of themselves.