Solving my number 1 leak

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've just picked up poker again after an absence of 5 years or so.

Now that I've played around 50 MTTs I've started to get back to a decent level at MTTs again, but realize two things have prevented me from running deeper than just top 1%:

1) allin bustouts on solid preflop hands - which I can live with better than in the past and don't consider a leak when the situation is right to get it in
2) spewing off in completely unnecessary situations

As per 2) this is definitely something I need to fix. I find that I'm playing well for about 4-5 hours and then all of a sudden I decide to make an idiotic move against a player that I have a dead read on for being a calling station (with several notes and everything).

Yesterday this happened again and obviously I bust out due to drawing thin after check/raising allin against a player that only bets with a hand.

I find I don't make these kinds of plays in other situations so I wonder why I come up with these idiotic ideas after 4-5 hours and getting closer to the final table. Especially when I've set out clear ideas about how to approach that later stage.

Anyone else struggling with this? How can I prevent it? Is there any trick out there that helps me prevent putting big bets in the pot until I've thought it through? (yes that's a serious question :) )

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s good thing that you know where are your leaks. I had similar problems and I solved with tightening up my game, specially if I have healthy stack, and I can reach final table.

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I noticed that my game depends on the dynamics at the table. If the table is loose, then I also play loose. If the table is passive, then I also play passively. Therefore, every time I take a pause of 10 seconds and say to myself: "Play your game"

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
today I found one way to solve this - first spew a couple of 45-man SNGs and then once that's over - play solid :)

Today I managed to spew only 2 SNGs before getting it right on the 3rd try! Hope next time I only need one :) And eventually zero...

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I have the same problem with running deep, and then making a mistake. Plus, when I make this mistake, (and as I ask myself why), instead of a small stack teaching me a lesson, I get crushed by a monster stack (they never fold). So, the only advise I have is: I have learned the hard way to wait, wait, and wait for something better.

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I have the same problem with running deep, and then making a mistake. Plus, when I make this mistake, (and as I ask myself why), instead of a small stack teaching me a lesson, I get crushed by a monster stack (they never fold). So, the only advise I have is: I have learned the hard way to wait, wait, and wait for something better.
I'm glad I'm not alone in this - I wonder from time to time what the reason behind this is. I'm now thinking of getting some kind of toy that takes 10 seconds to solve that I will need to solve before each action or something.

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good approach

very nice approach to how to improve your game. I have got this a lot also, when you are deep stacked and few players left I have lost with pocket K,Q maybe even A. You get to overexcited for the hand you have and go all in preflight or after flop. I personally think that once you have the stack it's a whole different game and should consider it a lot before going all in or betting hard with hard pre flop hands.

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never play those hands where I am not sure of my victory. If I go to the flop, I try to finish the game.

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well can add another obvious situation to this - guess I never learn.

6 or 7 tables left and I have an above average stack.

I turn the nut straight on a flush draw board. The flop better (who was obviously betting his flush draw) bets into me - i raise and he calls. There's less than half pot size left in our stacks.

The flush rivers - and I .... call off the rest of my stack without even thinking enough?

So much to learn - is there any way for me to start thinking in these spots for more than 0.5 seconds?

V

vwpokernut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A) I feel yah

B) are you self-defeating or have a glass-empty mind-set in other aspects of your life ( could be leaking into your poker)

C) how is your hydration, nutrition during play and how are you utilizing your breaks (actually getting up and stretching/relaxing?)

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A) I feel yah

B) are you self-defeating or have a glass-empty mind-set in other aspects of your life ( could be leaking into your poker)

C) how is your hydration, nutrition during play and how are you utilizing your breaks (actually getting up and stretching/relaxing?)
A) Thanks :)
B) no I'm quite the opposite actually. I'm looking at this as something I want to and will be able to solve. Although it bums me out it doesn't defeat me. I guess it's tough because it takes 4-5 hours to reach a point where I'm running into something I need to be working on to solve rather than a change you can attack immediately.
C) grabbing a coffee / water, walking around, taking a leak etc - pretty good I guess;