SnG - Speculative hand turned out in a huge pot

80abukaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone!

Last week I played this hand in an online home game with friends.

Blinds 30/60, 4th level, 7/7 player still in the game
Stacks all around 5000, not much has happened

UTG +1 (standard player I usually have edge over) raises to 120
Hero (Button) calls with 57s
BB (good aggressive player) calls

Pot 390

Flop 545 (two spades)

BB checks
UTG+1 bets 120
Hero calls
BB folds

turn 7, giving hero a full house
Pot 630

UTG+1 bets 120
Hero raises to 700
UTG+1 calls

river 6 of spades, closing all flushes, straights and straight flushes
Pot 2030

UTG+1 bets 1015 (half pot)
Hero goes all-in (around 4K)
UTG+1 calls

What do you make of this range?
How could I have played the hand better?

He had 66 and eliminated me with a better full house

80abukaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Up!

I would really like some feedback on this hand!

:)

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on the fact that he called your relatively large turn raise, I think 44, 66, 77, 88, A5s, 45s, 56s, A678ss, 78ss are his hands that seem most likely. He might occasionally have an overpair, but since you know his playstyle you would have a better idea on that, as well as if 45s and 56s are in his UTG+1 range. I don't think A5s, 88 or overpairs/bluffs are leading this river often enough to make going all in the river profitable. Most flushes or straights should be check calling to bluff catch. 44, 45s, 56s are really the only hand calling the all in that you can get value from. A smaller raise on the turn to around 400 would allow you to raise-fold the river assuming he leads for half pot again on the river.

Last edited:

80abukaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on the fact that he called your relatively large turn raise, I think 44, 66, 77, 88, A5s, 45s, 56s, A678ss, 78ss are his hands that seem most likely. He might occasionally have an overpair, but since you know his playstyle you would have a better idea on that, as well as if 45s and 56s are in his UTG+1 range. I don't think A5s, 88 or overpairs/bluffs are leading this river often enough to make going all in the river profitable. Most flushes or straights should be check calling to bluff catch. 44, 45s, 56s are really the only hand calling the all in that you can get value from. A smaller raise on the turn to around 400 would allow you to raise-fold the river assuming he leads for half pot again on the river.

Doesn´t the fact that he makes a very loose call chasing outs for a straight on a paired board make his range huge?

Except that, I agree on what you said, but at the same time I knew his bet (1/6th of the pot) on the turn meant a very weak hand, so I wanted to raise with a consistent amount to get value from my full house from overpairs, straight and flush draws.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands