SNG: Pair of 10s? What went wrong?

A

arun9179

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I was playing 10 handed SNG , Third or fourth round( only 3 times the card was delt). Playing with brand new players, No Idea what kind of players they are

SB =100
BB 200
UTG1 Folds
UTG2( Villain) calls
UTG3 Folds
MP1 Calls
MP2 Calls
MP3 Folds
Button( Myself) with Pocket 10s Raised to 800 ( almost 3/4)
SB Fold
BB Calls
Villain Calls
MP1 Folds
MP2 Calls

Almost all of us had around 2500 Pot

Flop - AsJs8d

BB Check
Villain Checks
MP2 Checks
Button, As its checked to me , I couldn't put anyone in the pair, So I continued the bet with 800 ( I didn't calculate the equity or Pot ODD, Just thought the 800 is around 3/4th the pot and Hoped to take the pot right there)

Everybody except the villain folds Turn was 6d.
Villain Checks to me

Again , I thoughg 8x or 6x hands are the hands villain could hold and worried about both the flush and continued with another 800 bet. Hoping to take the pot right there.

Villain calls

River was 8s

Villain checks..May be this is the biggest mistake i did, In the heat of the moment, I didn't think complete card range and just playing with value of my hole card ( It always happens to me , Need to find a way out) i thought he didn't make anything and keeping the pot small , I put all in and the villain calls.

He shows 45s ..and took all the pot? What is my mistakes here ? How should i have played this?
I am also trying to see how should i analyze this hand for off table steady. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
AbsBala

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop: with blinds, ante and two limpers you have around 900 chips in the middle already. With 2500 chips(12bb) your only option is to shove. By raising you are giving great odds to villains with overcards.

On the flop you have a very easy check. Your hand is too strong for bluff and too weak for value bet. Also, even if you decide to bet for some reason, you should just go all in and put Jx hands in tough spot.

On the turn, check for same reasons. On the river check for same reasons. Somehow you managed to do 5 mistakes in one hand. Congratz.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your biggest mistake is not going all in Pre-Flop, you had 2500 : 12,5BB
Always you have 12 blinds or low, you have to go all-in, you'll get in a trouble every time you raise with 12BB and you don't connect any piece of the board, because you're commited same you felt in that hand, that's the reason you bet with that terrible flop.

Another mistake is betting that flop, there's an A and a J, I would check-back and give up, you got lucky to had the possibility to win the hand before river, that's so hard to not look an A or at least a hand like JT,JQ, hands that villains usually limp.

A

arun9179

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Your biggest mistake is not going all in Pre-Flop, you had 2500 : 12,5BB
Always you have 12 blinds or low, you have to go all-in, you'll get in a trouble every time you raise with 12BB and you don't connect any piece of the board, because you're commited same you felt in that hand, that's the reason you bet with that terrible flop.

Another mistake is betting that flop, there's an A and a J, I would check-back and give up, you got lucky to had the possibility to win the hand before river, that's so hard to not look an A or at least a hand like JT,JQ, hands that villains usually limp.
Thanks for your response! My theory to play post flop is both of the checked so was going for it any ber i would have folded..any thought on this!!

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should shove pre flop ...you have 12 bb you are not deep for playing post flop

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop: with blinds, ante and two limpers you have around 900 chips in the middle already. With 2500 chips(12bb) your only option is to shove. By raising you are giving great odds to villains with overcards.

On the flop you have a very easy check. Your hand is too strong for bluff and too weak for value bet. Also, even if you decide to bet for some reason, you should just go all in and put Jx hands in tough spot.

On the turn, check for same reasons. On the river check for same reasons. Somehow you managed to do 5 mistakes in one hand. Congratz.

Totally agreed.
Too short stack to play this way.

liuouhgkres, just a question: in which case it would be acceptable to bet? (to your: Also, even if you decide to bet for some reason, you should just go all in and put Jx hands in tough spot.)

IraiseThePot

IraiseThePot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the point of cbetting on that flop? Two overcards to your pair and a huge chance that someone has hit that board. River shove was also bad.

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you guys think he should be betting all in on floop or pre floop?

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So in this situation by the time the action is on you there is 900 in the pot, at this point you should shove. The reason being that raising puts you under 10bb so if you come up against overcards on the flop and aggression from any other players your forced to fold and be short stacked or push crossing your fingers your not behind which you probably are.

You raise to 800 making the pot 1700 and get 3 callers (alarm bells should now be ringing) so pot is now 3500.

Flop comes down with 2 overcards and a flush draw and action is checked to you. At this point you should also check with the reasoning that your behind to a higher pair who's checked due to low kicker or someone's on a flush draw. You could go all in at this point but with the size pot created and 3 players to act there's a good chance you get called and are behind.

You bet 800 making pot 4300 making the pot odds nearly 5.5:1. Two players fold one probably missed the flop, the other probably folded A or J with weak kicker. Villain has a flush draw at 4.88:1 to hit on the turn so is priced in(he's about 1.86:1 to hit it over the 2 streets so he's going nowhere with the pot odds being offered. So he calls taking you to the turn with a pot of 5100.

So turn comes a 6d doesn't help villain so he checks wanting to see river cheap as possible. You bet 800 hoping this will take the pot, but all you've done is given him pot odds of nearly 7.5:1. He's at 4.1:1 to hit his flush so easy call for him.

He checks the river that's made his flush probably knowing you'll bet if he checks. You push with the little you have left giving him an easy call to take a nice pot.

So for me 2 major errors 1. Not going all in preflop and 2. Not considering his range and the pot odds you were offering enough. If there is a potential flush draw always think about the odds your giving them to chase as a lot of players will chase it.

A

ankitgupta45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Consider this .
what is ur plan postflop once u raise and overcards come on the flop . Are you still going to stack off no matter what ? Answer should be yes.
Reason : You already had 900 in the pot and once u raise to 800 and you get 2 callers..already the pot would be bigger than your stack. so your SPR <1 . And no matter what hand you have ...you have to push it all in on flop. There are still 2 cards to come...you have some fold equity vs hands like KQ , 88, 99 etc. So, all in all what you lack here is the plan postlop.

Above i have discussed the line where you want to lure in fishes into the pot as fishes would play any kind of junk and dont like to fold. Otherwise, best way to play TT is shove preflop with even 15 BB,. why ? u have already 900 in the pot before u make any action. 900 is more than 1/3rd ur stack and you should be happy to take pot down preflop because let me tell you with TT , flop is going to be nasty very often .

A

arun9179

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Consider this .
what is ur plan postflop once u raise and overcards come on the flop . Are you still going to stack off no matter what ? Answer should be yes.
Reason : You already had 900 in the pot and once u raise to 800 and you get 2 callers..already the pot would be bigger than your stack. so your SPR <1 . And no matter what hand you have ...you have to push it all in on flop. There are still 2 cards to come...you have some fold equity vs hands like KQ , 88, 99 etc. So, all in all what you lack here is the plan postlop.

Above i have discussed the line where you want to lure in fishes into the pot as fishes would play any kind of junk and dont like to fold. Otherwise, best way to play TT is shove preflop with even 15 BB,. why ? u have already 900 in the pot before u make any action. 900 is more than 1/3rd ur stack and you should be happy to take pot down preflop because let me tell you with TT , flop is going to be nasty very often .
make complete sense!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 12 bbs I do not think you have room to raise fold in that spot. Without more info I think you should have folded and if you only had 10bbs I think you should have shoved.