Small Pairs

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see a lot of people at micro stakes willing to go all in preflop with small pps even though they don't need to go for broke. 22 apparently plays like KK for these folks.

At best you are in a coin flip and there's a chance you are dominated.

Is it because online rewards bad players and dominated hands win more often than in real life?

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would online poker reward bad players? If that's the case, then in turn, every professional poker player that plays online must be donks. They're playing 22 like KK cuz it's microstakes and either:
Reason 1) there's not much reward nor much to lose
or
reason 2) they're simply bad at the game.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There are just some players at the micros that dont play to play there best and there is no rhyme or reason to why they do this. You can take some calculated risk against them but if you want to become a better player then calling with something like ATo or pocket 9's for 120BB is not what you want to do.

pabloT

pabloT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not always good to go all in with small pairs .. I like to pay if the opponent has 30bbs to crack and if I have less than that I'm willing to shove .. almost always.

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your stack and position in the game. If there are no matches on the flop and your opponent makes a big bet, then do not play further.

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes all-all-all poker players and previous speakers know and say that going with 44 or 66 in all-in is either a bad game and complete idiocy! But how many banks lost me on this stupidity on the Micros (which I actually played) and how many ways I lost,that all Your judgments are just dust! For a very long time I list these situations - especially in spin & go's! Maybe the game at higher limits is different, but something I strongly doubt!!!

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is a 70-30 of 10 wins just 3 times then in the end you're going to lose

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you see crazy calls. In a cash game, that would be great. In a tournament...well, it's not all bad, but it does cause me to play tighter.

As to why...while the stakes play a role, the fact that it's online does too. With regards to the stakes, people think "Hey, it only cost me a $1, why not? If I win this coin flip, I double up!"

And while online play doesn't reward bad players, it does mean they can just hop into another tournament. If it were live or cost more to enter, they'd be less willing to flip a coin.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people play very loose and open more hands in microstakes

i prefer playing 2/5 NL for that reason

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Previously, small pocket pairs were rarely played especially after a raise, and now everyone knows that pocket pair is 53% to win plus a few percent to catch a set. On microlimits, small pocket pairs are not thrown even all-in.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do you think that in live poker small pairs will have fewer victories in the allin? Take it and check it in a simple way. Take a pack of cards and make a simulation of the game between multiple players. And everything will be clear.

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL...You are 100%

I read that post and I started ROFL, you are so right, i seen 22 and 55 all in with no rhym or reason. Most off all I have seen them make a set and win a muti way flop to, it amazes me. I only seen that so far in the freeroolls, but it wouldnt surprise me that they do it on the buy in tournaments to.
I see a lot of people at micro stakes willing to go all in preflop with small pps even though they don't need to go for broke. 22 apparently plays like KK for these folks.

Is it because online rewards bad players and dominated hands win more often than in real life?

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've also noticed that high cards have a lot of frequency in the game, and another thing I notice is that generally who has bigger stack, has a tendency to come your card.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any two can win. Imagine what 2, 2 can do. Good luck.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont understand it either, I always wonder what they think they are beating.

nop9gok

nop9gok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

so are not always bad players, there are experienced players who use this strategy, and it is not bad. Of course, from the point of view of poker mathematics, this exposure with a small pair to all the chips is minus, but these are micro-limits, and you can throw a coin and fill a good stack at the beginning and then play tight and with a big chance to get into the prizes

R

rproctor5076

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually like to see if i flop a set and if 2 of the 3 cards are higher than my pp and th4ere is action i will usually see a fold

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some players are losing in the later stage of most of the stacks begin to play a hand all-in. Against them I will play with 22.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ace rags, especially suited, is another one I see some players go crazy with. Last night on the bubble this dude who could have easily folded himself into the money (just needed one more elimination to be in the money), called an early raise from a big stacker who had him easily covered, and then shoved with top pair flush draw on the flop.

He had Ad6d vs. AQos and lost. Went from sure cash to being bubble boy. Once he hit that monster flop I don't blame him for going for it, but his mistake was calling preflop in the first place. He just had to fold and wait.

A6 definitely not a hand I am unnecessarily risking my tourney life over.

R

roman5551993

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think. these people do not matter the money or they want to get to first place.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess it depends on your stack size. I mean if you have over 20 or 30 bb's then yes it's foolish. But when your in the 10 to 15 bb range and you get pocket 6's what are you gonna do wait til your stack blinds off. Sometimes it does make sense to stack off with a small pocket pair in a tournament.