Small pairs

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the preflop small pairs is better to pass and if it requires minimum cost to enter the hand better because if you tie it you have a monster on the flop and if it is not easy to discard
:fight:

J

johnltakacs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree with the majority and say early call if there's no raise/ small raise, fold if theres a large raise, middle depends on your stack size, late be aggressive.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In the middle position, I call, and in the early position I make a pass. Small pairs very rarely play in online poker I do not know why. I often lose on them than win. The smallest pair on which I most often enter the game is 10 10. I like suited connectors much more than small pairs. If someone has Q7 or K9 on their hands and I have a small pair, then it's very likely that the flop will be Q or K, and I do not know why.

Q

qxcydx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there are too many scenarios that arise for me to feel comfortable categorising how i play small pairs based solely on table position.

but generally (75% of the time) i try to limp them, i dont call many all ins, rarely call 4-5x+ raises unless in late position, and open fold 22-77 quite a lot.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
early and middle I play with raise and late mainly fold

M

Mrjamesbond1977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play small pairs in late and middle position i hardly ever play deuces and treys

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early, I try to both steal the pot and/or build the pot before the flop by betting up to 5 BBs. The way I see it is you've got 100 BBs, so why not risk 5% of your stack? Being the pre-flop aggressor gives you an advantage when the flop comes and, if you had callers, you've got a nice little pot you can try to win/bluff/out-play for.

In the middle of the tournament I fold these up to about 55 if anyone raises. In the middle of the tournament you're trying to survive and you won't do that very long hoping for trips all the time.

Late in the tournament (i.e. in the money) I play them very aggressively before the final table. I want chips and I'm willing to sacrifice 1 or 2 money levels to do it. Afterall, when your money levels are going from $2.50 to $2.75 after 9 players get knocked out, you've already made the $2.50 and your goal shouldn't be another .25 cents, it should be to hit the final table.

I think your advice is sound. I really like this: "goal shouldn't be another .25 cents, it should be to hit the final table" with those thoughts in mind you will reach the final table.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your stack is sufficient(>30 BBs) go ahead and try to set mine. If you're short stacked you probably want to shove or fold, depending on the action before you.
Have to agree with this strategy More dependent on my stack size than early/late in the tourney Prefer to limp and set mine. If I have a small stack I can’t do that.
Don’t even like to shove with small pairs I rather have to picture cards. But reasonable to shove small pairs when getting to 10 BB

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a pair in early or middle position, I like to open X1, if I connect the set can win a lot of chips, and if not, it's an easy fold.

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found the answer to just about any poker question is what is the table like?

If super tight from late position first to enter raise small to take down blinds. If a few limpers may limp and set mine.

If its an all in fest I'll fold any small/medium pair.

More than one concrete answer I believe.

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with most everybody here. If you can get to a flop cheaply, it's worth the risk to set mine with small pair. Certainly depends on position, stack size and table knowledge also. Big raise in front of me, cards are going in the crapper. I've won some fairly large pots with small pairs. Even won a final hand heads up to take down a $250 GTD with 33 last week.Can be very profitable if played right.

Gyry

Gyry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to see flop. easy fold if anyone raise.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold early position possibly mid and play tight in late position but if its early and your deep stacked raise

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I play them some times, when I decide it from maths view or intuition view! When I have a big stack or if the game has quick blinds I play them much more often.