pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I honestly think that luck has a little more weight than the skill or knowledge you have, it is more difficult to apply theory in a freeroll, of course you can use your skills but the reality is that in freerolls people play like Whatever the cards come and at some point you end up taking risks and playing luck because you want to win chips.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Like most things in poker, it probably depends on the sample size you're looking at.

If you look at a single game or a small number, the weight of luck might be higher than the skill.

Whereas if you're looking at the results over 100s or more freeroll games, than the skill plays a higher role than luck only.

For the games itself, I think they have a higher variance than regular MTTs because people play more reckless since they're not putting any of their money in.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are the thoughts on skill vs luck in online freeroll games?
Well in the beginning is mostly a crazy situation. But after all the crazy is over those that are left tend to tighten up and play real poker. So, if you can pass the first stages it turns up to be more skill than luck. But as in any game luck is always a factor. Good luck

ebazynski

ebazynski

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
No matter how skilled you may be, luck is always lurking, you just hope to be on the right side of it when it does show up.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, by my private opinion, Skill and Luck need to go together, and not to be versus each other, and then All will OK,
and not only in the freerolls, but and in the tournaments with buy-ins! That's it!

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
In time we will find ourselves on both sides, but my opinion is the mind must be on top.Choosing favorable actions at the table in relation to position, stack and blinds....

Last edited:
R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
A thousand facts of study and skill lead you to do better things and earn more money in the long term. Luck would be a complement to the game Nomas

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
For some reason, it seems to me that tournaments with a very large number of participants (especially hyper ones) place luck in the first place, and skill only comes in second. And the final table is a duel of lucky players who will compare their skills for the first place of the MOST LUCKY.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Freerolls in my opinion are 70% luck and 30% skill. In regular tournaments, I'd say it's about 50/50. But I also believe that the more skill and experience we have, the more chances that luck will also be on our side.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
luck is certainly important in some situations, but over long distances, all good players understand that skill decides and you will always defeat weaker players at distances and win tournaments with skill, not luck. But luck, I say, is also needed in poker because it's hard to win poker overall without it

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck will always be present wherever it is, the same thing happens in poker, sometimes luck will be in your favor and sometimes not, but what you should always work on is your skill, that will make you a better player every day. and it will be reflected in your game and result.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is part of poker, and in that aspect there is no difference between freerolls and other games. Maybe there is more wild play in freerolls, but then the skill edge comes from knowing, when you have the odds to gamble, and when you dont.

Huntre

Huntre

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
in long distance skill are always win.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
it depends on the freeroll itself, if it's a freeroll with a password for a small number of players, then your poker skills will come in handy, and if it's a freeroll with a large number of players, you won't be lucky without it. In such tournaments, even AA has a small chance of winning when there are 7 people in the Toibo hand and they don't care about the size of the bet and their cards

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends of the freeroll. For example, most 888poker freerolls has 3-6 minutes blinds, so, you will definitely need more luck to win these tournaments.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
In the long run, skill will always beat luck, you can be lucky a couple of times, and whoever has the ability will always beat you

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In freerolls with large fields it is necessary to give more weight to luck at the beginning of the freeroll. Because you need to build a reasonable stack to withstand the shooting until the final phase. If you play too tight you run the risk of seeing the blinds eat your stack. So I try to see all the possible flops at the beginning to try to hit some bad ones and pull good pots to build my stack. At this stage I'm counting more on luck. If I can build a stack of 4x or more of the starting chips, then I change my game to focus on skill (if I have it, lol).

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
If you play good poker you will get more luck since you fold and get out of bad hands before they can hurt you and put you in tilt and go in to a snowball of bad moves.

D

Dougana

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In freeroll I consider is more important the luck, people call and play with any cards.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
...depends on the structure, longer blinds, deeper stacks = more playing time,
faster blinds, shorter stacks = less playing time,
freerolls tend to attract people who like to gamble instead of play that's just how it goes

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think luck in freerolls is more important than skill. Freerolls in the understanding of most players is a lottery, either lucky or not. But I always try to be patient, even in freerolls, no matter how my opponents play, and I never play with junk, bingo style is not for me.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Online is truly a mystery, luck benefits some at the beginning of tournaments, then skill and knowledge begin to prevail

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Both will always be present in any tournament, even in a freeroll, I just think that to different extents, I think luck has a greater weight in a freeroll than any skill or knowledge you have, it is difficult to face an entire table or almost a whole table of players who have no intention of playing well and who only wait for any cards to arrive in their hands to bet everything from the beginning and for each hand to be the same all-in after all-in, against that there is no skill that can help you

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Luck plays it's part . But mainly it's the tng . Players know how to manipulate it then they say the opposite, that this doesn't happen , that it's just your imagination . Typical .

Freeroll Passwords