Sizing up the betting size preflop

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been opening up my range a little bit and sizing up my betting size to about 3.5x, and I've seen it tends to get a lot more respect because players play their hands kind of open with their sizing:

Like their mediocre ranges they min raise or whatever and then raise 3x with their stronger hands, so sizing up all your hands will get more respect for your bets.

Just something I've noticed.

Hope this strategy may work for you and your table, but it tends to work better later in the tournament when blinds are more important.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, c-betting like 80% of boards to follow up the strength and even double barrling tends to work if draws miss. Sometimes you get caught but its a good way to pick up pots and build a stack.

O

onlynuts19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah that's more respectable bet 3-4x bet.. I don't like all in preflop everytime

Jurgensad

Jurgensad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been opening up my range a little bit and sizing up my betting size to about 3.5x, and I've seen it tends to get a lot more respect because players play their hands kind of open with their sizing:

Like their mediocre ranges they min raise or whatever and then raise 3x with their stronger hands, so sizing up all your hands will get more respect for your bets.

Just something I've noticed.

Hope this strategy may work for you and your table, but it tends to work better later in the tournament when blinds are more important.

That’s true, i also noticed that it gets appreciated if you bet or raise.. Slowplaying doesn’t get appreciated.

Jurgensad

Jurgensad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Betting preflop

If i have a good hand i bet preflop 3 or 4 times the size of the big blind. If a player already placed a bet then i raise an amount that is the size of the pot.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
t is true that the size of your bets can dissuade your opponents from calling you but it also depends on several other factors including your betting frequency and especially the style and level of play of your opponents. against opponents who have a larger stack. you are more likely to get called later in the day, especially when you are playing a lot of hands and have a bad image at the table. at the end of the game the blinds increase so much that you risk busting on every spot you choose to play. it is normal for experienced players to avoid calling you every time.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-4BB is a standard raise by the literature. I have no idea why so many people make minimal raises preflop. It doesn't work. It doesn't scare out weak hands and big blind is obliged to call. Maybe some people just value their raise on hand strength like with weak hand - minimum raise with strong hand - standard raise. But if they do so it's too easy to read. I often re-raise minimal raises just to check if this is their strategy.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first step is to find out how your opponents react to different bet sizes. Change their size and watch, and then adjust the size of bids for your goals, whether you want to call the opponent or fold.:)

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

Sizing is definetly a tell. If you min raise, mi raise with good. bad or middle hands. Otherwise they will read your strenghth. Opening 3.5 all the time hides your strength, but risks a lot of chipm drainage on the 3 bet shove.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars