Situations with AK

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK vs 22 preflop=22 has the possibility of 51% winning.
while this is true, it only really applies to all-in situations.

While 22 is a 51% favorite preflop, in non all-in situations, AK wins a lot more often in the end, even if the don't hit because of fold equity. 22 is folding to a bet on a ton of flops if they don't hit their set. So, AK is actually a huge favorite against 22.

W

walleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#1 depends on the opponent, but tend towards all-in.
#2 I like calling the bet.

L

leorulex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On two situations i like call/all in

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hello poker players. I have a few questions about playing AK hand from UTG. #1: Mid stage of a tourney, middle -buy-in. My stack is 30bb. 2 opp calls me. Flop A 2 8 rainbow; i cbet 35% POT, getting raised for 155%pot. What should i do?
#2 Early stage of a tourney, middle buy-in, i have AK on HJ. Very aggresive opp opens from UTG 3bb, i do reraise him 9bb, he goes ALL-in, should i call him?:confused:

#1. in this hand you have TPTK only a set or two pairs are threat for you. you may be up against AQ AJ AT there's a lot of hands that you beat i'm callin most of times here.
#2. in this spot i recommand folding here since a raise from utg position shows strenght most of the times and it's early stage, you can fold and search for better spot. if you call you're flipin here most of the times he could have 99+. don't think he'll 4bet shoves with air.

bprpm

bprpm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the first hand, i think we have value, so the opponent have a lot of bluffs in their range, but he can have some sets, that explain the raise in the flop, but in more cases we have a worst ace, so I just call and reavaluate the turn... probably get in in the turn...

Second hand.. Depends of the type of tournament, and the chips size of that player, if is a deepstack, we easily fold, because that player open 3 bb's and ith a 3-bet we shoves.. But if is a turbo I would call... Because in turbo less bb's less time to play so i would call....

Vadim Kudimov

Vadim Kudimov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the situation, I would say that the opponent has a made hand like 22-88, as he made the call to your pre-flop raise, or he is have A with kicker weaker. He played a blind man, unlike you, so I think that your hand is in this case does not matter stronger and you have to go all-in. But you describe the situation unilaterally, and not having more information is uniquely all-in.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you raised pre flope with AK,and in flop shows A,,and other player re raise you,I should go All in,well if he bY some to pairs or similiar he had lucky......

P

Playtext

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MY guess is the other player have ace with a slight weak kicker. He is lucky if he made a set. :) So going all in would be the great play.

E

Eraser9567

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello poker players. I have a few questions about playing AK hand from UTG. #1: Mid stage of a tourney, middle -buy-in. My stack is 30bb. 2 opp calls me. Flop A 2 8 rainbow; i cbet 35% POT, getting raised for 155%pot. What should i do?
#2 Early stage of a tourney, middle buy-in, i have AK on HJ. Very aggresive opp opens from UTG 3bb, i do reraise him 9bb, he goes ALL-in, should i call him?:confused:
#1 I think the best thing you can do is all-in because he has a wide range of hands from which he can raise you,for example he could have made that raise with KK or QQ or A Q so in my opinion the best thing is going all-in

W

WRG0413

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1. With 30 bb top pair top kicker on this board is a call, if you had AJ in the same situation it's a fold.

2. I would be willing to go all in with a loose player at any stage with the following hands AK, AA, KK and QQ. If the player is tight then fold only in early stages.

Olgert1992

Olgert1992

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With UTG КА looking in what tournament. If this freroll that there can be whatever. And so I would put reise, if put a 4 bet moved.

W

WaxDabMan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had AK off in milly on ACR and lost a big ol' pot. I raised 2.5x the blind, small blind clicked back, I clicked back and they shoved, I was getting about 2.5-1 on the remaining call... got it in, villain was over playing AQ, but obv flop A2Q... I talked the hand over with different players, some just flat to see the flop, some raise back and then fold to a reraise, none of them said shove, which was my first instinct instead of clicking back to his click back. I really wanted to shut down the pot and didn't feel I would feel horrible getting it in with AK as long as I was making the shove. As it stands, calling off with AK makes me feel sick... his click back was right around 1500 and I had about 7k left, I clicked back then had to call off... I dunno for me, I like to shut down these hands preflop, and not feel horrible if I run into aces or kings, particularly because I felt my table image was fishy, kind of opening up their range... but I have no right answer... I just make choices and try to live with them lol

J

JoePoppa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Dab man it just wasnt your day Im thinking, because I feel most wouldve played it the exact way you did.....Also definitely agree with WRG, I would easily fold an AJ there, But AK no way Im getting out

S

Sosa VII

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#1 raised pre, got called & got raised on flop, villain maybe representing a set here on a board like that? Most likely.

fearfizz

fearfizz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all-in is the right call,hoply he didnt get the set on the flop or A-2 A-8.

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
#1 mostly call. You're too strong and look weak given your flop bet. That is opening the door to action, sometimes you will be against a set or two pair but mostly you will be facing weaker aces, lower pairs and bluffs. #2 stack sizes really matter here. But if your both very deep as I would assume you are early this is a time to fold and move on. You made the raise in position and that a fine play. But when the utg player clicks it back with a jam you got the answer about what he has. Lay it down and take your still big stack to war in another hand.

MasterTur

MasterTur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#1 Just the call, very hard to play with no infos from you oponents, depeding of his range you can gol all in, but most likely he has 2 pair or a set. In this sittuations you need to bet more, 35% is very little bet,you should bet 55%-65%

#2 Call, probally he has a very weak hand!

Omar Kassas

Omar Kassas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah AK preflop 1/2 of ur stack raise or all-in there is no other options if you slow play or don't raise u are out

arbahool

arbahool

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#1 is a tricky situation,but i would probably fold as its a mid faze of tourney and have enough BB to se a few good hands
#2 i think all in is a good move.AK pre flop is one of the best hands and is worthy going all in with such reraise,i would be scared only of AA

now to tell you what just happend to me: I have AK and i'm first to act,raise 2.5 BB,middle positioin call,late position raise to 5 BB, i went all in both of them call,I had 50 BB middle 80 BB and late position 20 BB...board was J 10 7 5 8,middle position had 94 off late position had AA...so 94 beated AK and AA ridicuolus...

L

leorulex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1-just call.
2-I dont know, probaly call to.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I almost always ship it preflop, unless it's close to the bubble. AK is strongest preflop, then it becomes the same as most hands after the flop.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the first hand, i think we have value, so the opponent have a lot of bluffs in their range, but he can have some sets, that explain the raise in the flop, but in more cases we have a worst ace, so I just call and reavaluate the turn... probably get in in the turn...

Second hand.. Depends of the type of tournament, and the chips size of that player, if is a deepstack, we easily fold, because that player open 3 bb's and ith a 3-bet we shoves.. But if is a turbo I would call... Because in turbo less bb's less time to play so i would call....

Your "second hand" is nice... all because of tourney's type.
If it is freeroll we will have one strategy for our AK
If it is MTT with 5$+ buy-in there is other strategy to play with AK, for example folding for re-raise our 3bb from REGULAR, or pushing bag loose opponent.

Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1)all in with top pair+the best kicker
2)Call all in.

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
# 1 has probably Connected Set or Two Pairs. Depend of the Reading of the Player, Call or not Call. May be I Fold.

# 2 In Early Stages Usually Somebody go all in with A9 + suited, Med Pair +. I Call.